Lantana
Lantana camara 'Miss Huff'

Family: Verbenaceae (ver-be-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lantana (lan-TAN-a) (Info)
Species: camara (kuh-MAR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Miss Huff

Orange

Red-Orange

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Aromatic

This plant is resistant to deer

From hardwood cuttings

Gadsden, Alabama (2 reports)

San Bernardino, California

Rincon, Georgia

Waleska, Georgia

Dudley, North Carolina

Emerald Isle, North Carolina

Raleigh, North Carolina (2 reports)

Edmond, Oklahoma

Newport News, Virginia

Suffolk, Virginia

Virginia Beach, Virginia

On Mar 27, 2013, Gardeningman from Kingman, KS wrote:

I am in South Central Kansas (zone 6b). I ordered some Miss Huff Lantana plants from Garden Harvest Supply. I am going to plant them on the south side of my house. They will replace some pink flowering lantanas that come back from the roots each year and produce copious amounts of seeds. I assume if these pink flowering lantanas come back each year from the roots, then Miss Huff should too but without all of the seeds. If I remember to, I will write a follow-up post next spring to report whether or not the Miss Huff lantanas came back.

On Apr 20, 2012, amjones7270 from Loganville, GA wrote:

I enjoyed reading the other comments about Miss Huff. I love mine but she does get too big. Last year she was easily 5ft tall and just as wide. I thought about relocating her but missed my window of opportunity this year. We had a mild winter and an unseasonably warm March this year so mine has already grown to 10 inches tall. I usually don't see that until well into May.

On Oct 5, 2008, Fleurs from Columbia, SC wrote:

'Miss Huff' is a lusty gal, blooming in orange from late Spring until frost. She's been in my garden (zone 7b/8a) for over 5 years now and looks splendid against the pale yellow of my house.

The only time Miss Huff doesn't look terrific is during winter dormancy. I usually rake up the untidy leaves in winter, but I try to resist the urge to cut her back then because the woody stems might fill with water and freeze. And I want Miss Huff to return in all her bushy glory! The time to cut back the bare stems is when tiny new green leaves appear deep in the center of the plant in Spring.

If your Miss Huff becomes too large, (she's now at least 5' tall and wide and wants to spread to the neighbor's side yard), I found out she doesn't mind being whacked back to k... read more

On Jun 15, 2007, WeedyWagner from Raleigh, NC wrote:

2 plants each grew to 4'X4', and were overwhelming everything nearby, so I moved them - in August. Amazingly enough, they not only survived but came back this spring. Profuse flowers, sterile, drought tolerant, and hardy in 7B - excellent!

On May 20, 2007, PA_Person from Easton, PA wrote:

Summer of 2005 I bought a small plant in a quart-sized cup from a HomeDepot. It was labeled only "Color Mix" so I had no idea what it was, thought it was just a flower and planted in a flower bed.
It didn't do much that summer & died away with everything else when winter came.

Spring of 2006, to my complete surpise, it came back and over the summer grew into a large bush that produced gorgeous multi-colored flowers all summer.

Spring of 2007, I still had no idea what it was and cut it back to a stump in April. Mid-May now and no signs of green on it so I think I killed it. But now that I know what it is, I'm going to look for another to plant.

On Mar 22, 2006, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I forgot to post this last Spring: my 'Miss Huff' did NOT come back in 2005- z7b. I loved this plant and am thinking maybe it was a fluke- that I didn't have her in a good protected place. She was a baby plant after all. I am going to try again to grow her.

On Sep 9, 2005, TomH3787 from Raleigh, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Reliably hardy here in Z7b - gets killed to the ground every winter but always comes back from the roots. It will grow to over 4ft high x 4ft wide by the end of the summer. Loads of flowers that attract bees and butterflies. Tolerates hot, dry conditions and not bothered by pests. 'Miss Huff' is self-sterile so it will not form berries and seed all over the place as long as there are no other lantanas growing nearby.

On Apr 5, 2005, lheyde from Oxford, GA wrote:

Love this plant. Very airomatic. I was amazed at how large this plant grew. I purchased a one gallon plant and in one summer it grew to about 3 feet in partial shade! Beautiful blooms all summer into the fall.