PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Sugary'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Sugary

Thumbnail #3 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by araness

Thumbnail #4 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Tomatoholic

Thumbnail #5 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Tomatoholic

Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Tomatoholic

Negative Wildflower_VA On Jul 27, 2014, Wildflower_VA from Raphine, VA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grew these plants from seed for the first time this year. So far, I have found little to like about these tomatoes. They are very prolific, which is the best I can say about them, but they are bland and tasteless, split easily, though we have had a banner year with the right amount of rain and no drought between rains. Also, in more than 50 years (since I was a kid on the farm) of growing tomatoes, my favorite food of all, I have never had a tomato that falls off the stems before they are fully ripe, and it is impossible to pick ripe ones without knocking off the nearby unripe ones. I am sorely disappointed in these tomatoes.

Positive BlackGoats On Aug 28, 2013, BlackGoats from Boise, ID wrote:

This plant does not like temps over 95 degrees. After our 3 weeks of July heat there were few new tomatoes. Now the tomatoes are coming on thick. My wife hates fresh tomatoes but this one she likes. Must be the 9.5% sugar content. Fresh salsa with half sugary is superb. Will plant again next year even though I only grow heirlooms.

Neutral hcsurprise On Jul 4, 2012, hcsurprise from Memphis, TN wrote:

Grew this variety for the first time this year. It has a good flavor but the skin is just a little tougher than Golden Gem which is the other variety I am growing. It is a larger cherry tomato. It was a heavy producer at first but now seems to be succumbing to some type of wilt disease. I could not find any information on how resistent this variety is but it definitely not as resistent as Golden Gem. We have been having an extreme heat wave which has stressed my plants considerable but Sugary is just not handling it as well as the other.

Negative SharonYorkPA On Jun 21, 2011, SharonYorkPA from East York, PA wrote:

Hi, I am wondering if my plant has a wrong tag on it - purchased it at Giant food store in York PA. These tiny tomatoes are NOT sweet and are difficult to pull from the vine. VERY disappointing purchase. I would appreciate seeing documented photos of the plant. The foliage is very tight and curled down against the soil surface. thank you.

Negative dancingbear27 On Jan 25, 2009, dancingbear27 from Elba, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Hate to be the first negative but my family was just not impressed. Skin seemed tough and tomato lacked flavor. I am a heirloom tomato gal though so that might be the problem. Even 7-year-old passed these up for Sunsugars or yellow or red pears.

Positive rwk On Feb 28, 2007, rwk from Gainesville, VA wrote:

This plant stayed a manageable size while producing loads of grape-like pinkish tomatoes. The taste is great and very sweet. People I’ve given extras to love them and I start seeds for a few families and they always request this tomato. There is a little more cracking than the Santa variety I used to grow but can’t find anymore but I’m not the best at picking tomatoes when they’re most prone to cracking. This is listed as ‘semi-determinate’ by Tomato Growers Supply Co. and I did notice they stop producing before frost so I will stagger planting times a bit with this type this year.

Neutral Farmerdill On Aug 25, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 60 day 1/2 ounce pink cherry.

Positive DrDoolotz On Jul 25, 2005, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

Just love this sweet little tomato. It had very little cracking and it was so full of flavour. I will grow this one again. The fruits are more pink than red. It was quite prolific but took longer to ripen than most of my cherry varieties. Also, although indeterminate, it was a bit smaller than most of my other indeterminate varieties.

Positive jcangemi On Nov 4, 2004, jcangemi from Clovis, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a 2005 AAS winner. Fruit is reddish pink that comes to a point on blossom end and sets in clusters. It held true to the descriptions that it is a vigorous vine and filled a large wire cage to overflowing. Flavor was sweet and it held true to being 'crack resistant' which is a problem with some cherry tomatoes.

Clovis, California