Hot Pepper 'Garden Salsa'

Capsicum annuum

Genus: Capsicum (KAP-sih-kum) (Info)
Species: annuum (AN-yoo-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Garden Salsa
Hybridized by Seminis
Registered or introduced: 1993
» View all varieties of Peppers

Heat (Pungency):

Mild (1 to 1,000 Scoville Units)

Moderate (1,000 to 5,000 Scoville Units)

Fruit Shape:

Fruit Size:

Large (more than 6" in length)

Fruit Color:

North Bend, Oregon

Sandy, Utah

Amissville, Virginia

On May 19, 2013, HLilly from AMISSVILLE, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

We've been growing this pepper for 5 years now, it has a permanent spot in our garden. It produces an abundant harvest, is great fresh and freezes well. The only complaint is that the heat varies greatly from year to year and from the beginning of the season to the end. Some are have almost no heat at all, others are hotter than the average jalapeno, so it's best to do a taste test before adding to any recipe.

On Feb 15, 2009, camflht from Marshall, IL wrote:

This is supposed to by a hybrid that will not come true to it's parent, however that is not true in practice. I purchased my first plants several years ago and the following year I could not find the Garden Salsa anywhere so I started seedlings from seeds salvaged from some of the previous years air dried peppers. The results were perfect. There was no detectable difference from the parent plants. I also purchased new seed from Digital Raingardens. There were no differences in the peppers. I've continued this for about 3 to 4 years with great success. This is a very disease resistant and drought tolerant pepper. It is not extremely tolerant to excess water, but it did survive the 9" rain last year that much of my garden did not.

On Nov 4, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A hybrid chili. (73 day) Fruits are 8 X 1 inch, usually picked green (they mature red), and medium hot.