PlantFiles: Hot Pepper
Capsicum chinense 'Orange Scotch Bonnet'

Genus: Capsicum (KAP-sih-kum) (Info)
Species: chinense (chi-NEN-see) (Info)
Cultivar: Orange Scotch Bonnet

» View all varieties of Peppers

Heat (Pungency):
Extremely Hot (above 30,000 Scoville Units)

Fruit Shape:
Tapered

Fruit Size:
Small (under 2" in length)

Fruit Color:
Green changing to orange

Pepper Mottle Virus (PepMV)

Open-pollinated

Usage:
Fresh (salsa, salads)
Pickling

This plant is resistant to deer

Mid (69-80 days)

By BigDaddy99
Thumbnail #1 of Capsicum chinense by BigDaddy99

Positive Warmenuf On Mar 28, 2012, Warmenuf from Gibsonville, NC wrote:

I grew some of these from seeds two years ago, with some success. Last spring I bought six plants, which I put in large pots, the kind I also use for hibiscus. I brought them in over the winter, and one pot of three survived. It will go back outside when the night-time low will be no worse than 60 degrees F. I ordered three more plants which I expect to receive soon. I made pepper sauce with some last year, and whole-pickled a lot more. I am eating one a day as part of my own therapy for metasticized prostate cancer - there have been tests that show capsaisin (the active "hot" ingredient) kills cancer cells. If you grow them, be aware that they do not like their roots disturbed at all, making it almost impossible to transplant them. I became aware of this pepper 20 years ago while living in Jamaica. It is one of the secrets to jerk chicken, the other being allspice (which in Jamaica is called pimento). I incorporated this into my pickled peppers, using vinegar, molasses and whole allspice. I love a sweet hot sauce!

Positive vadryn On Oct 31, 2011, vadryn from Logan, UT wrote:

Out grew and outproduced every pepper I planted this year. 5 Plants gave me about a 5 gallon bucket of peppers and they were going strong when our hard frost came. fruit is ripening very will inside now. I like the heat better than habanero, more flavorful imo, and an excellent choice for pepper jelly. It's going to be a staple in my garden.

Positive BigDaddy99 On Dec 13, 2004, BigDaddy99 from Pocahontas, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

Watch out! Wear gloves when picking and preparing! 325,000 Scoville units! The hot is in the placenta mostly. Finely chop one carrot, one Scotch bonnet and moisten with lime juice. Use to flavor anything and everything! Great flavor and gives a natural high (Please don't tell the government.) Cures all respiratory ailments and disarms assailants! What more could you ask?? Easy to grow. Put the seeds in a big pot and put in full sun and water when you think of it. Harvest continuously after first fruit turns orange. Will freeze but comes back ...

Neutral Farmerdill On Nov 4, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

(120 day) . The bonnet-shaped fruits are bright orange when ripe; flavor is smoky and fiery hot (300,000 Scoville units)

Lakeland, Florida