PlantFiles: Variegated Cast Iron Plant
Aspidistra elatior 'Variegata'

Family: Asparagaceae
Genus: Aspidistra (ass-pi-DIS-truh) (Info)
Species: elatior (ee-LAY-tee-or) (Info)
Cultivar: Variegata

Partial to Full Shade

Rose/Mauve
Magenta (Pink-Purple)
Maroon (Purple-Brown)

Mid Winter

Variegated

4.5 or below (very acidic)
4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)
5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By Khyssa

Thumbnail #6 of Aspidistra elatior by kniphofia

By jjdolley
Thumbnail #7 of Aspidistra elatior by jjdolley

Positive DILLY On Dec 1, 2009, DILLY from Jesup, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

That is a great picture! I need advice on potting mix, fertilizer (I'd think not) and watering, that you could have such happy looking variegated aspidistra without it "going to green" from too much TLC.

I didn't know there was other than vertical striping and didn't know they have names.

In the 25 years since I was given a start it's given me multiple clumps; some as original, and some all green_was even surprised with the funny little flowers, and I still don't have a formula.

Now I have made a trade and the recipient would like to know, "How often should I water it?" beyond my inadequate, "keep it on the dry side."

If you reply to this it would be helpful to me, and I could pass on the word, attributed to you. Thanks, Thelma

Positive ffachicken On Jan 13, 2009, ffachicken from Spring, TX wrote:

This plant grows very well in the Houston/Beaumont area. The flowers are very hard to see requiring a little digging to unearth. They develop underground and the fleshy purple/maroon flowers just peep out of the ground to bloom. They must be pollonated by ground dwelling insects, I have seen large black beetles and ants that seem to be attracted to them. Very alien in appearance.

Positive vossner On Nov 20, 2005, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've had this plant for 1 yr, planted inground in am sun, pm shade. Gets green leaves, I want to cut them off, but if I do, then I won't have much of a plant. Slow grower. Picture I uploaded not the prettiest. I think the desert-like summer we experienced in 2005 took a toll on my plant. If it looks ratty next year I will change my rating to neutral.

Spring 2007. I got brave and started cutting off all the solid green leaves. Seems to have made for a more beautiful "variegated" plant. Still a slow grower.

Positive brugmansialover On May 23, 2005, brugmansialover from Santa Maria, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant is great, it also took me a while to find, but not as long as it took me to find the true, Milky Way... I found it at a garden center in Los Angeles... I was soo amazed to see it, and i got it!!! I really love it, i have 8 different cast iron plants... And to my knowledge, there are 28 different ones... :O)

Beverly Hills, California
Atlanta, Georgia
Jesup, Georgia
New Orleans, Louisiana
West Monroe, Louisiana
Bluffton, South Carolina (2 reports)
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina