Hybrid Tea Rose 'The McCartney Rose'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: The McCartney Rose
Additional cultivar information:(PP8391, aka MEIzeli, The McCartney Rose, Paul McCartney, Sweet Lady)
Hybridized by Meilland

Very Fragrant

Patent expired

Other Details:

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Newport News, Virginia

Sterling, Virginia

Camano Island, Washington

On Mar 18, 2015, PrincessSandi from Beaver Dam, WI wrote:

I want one! Gotta have it! Paul and Linda McCartney were/are two of the greatest people ever. Problem is I live in Wisconsin, in an apartment. I do have a patio and plenty of room indoors to bring plants in for the winter. Now, how can I accomplish this task? I tried last year with a hybrid tea rose but it died over the winter. How can I keep the rose alive through all the seasons?

I'll appreciate anyone's advice. I've always wanted this rose but had to give up my home several years ago due to disability.

On Dec 12, 2014, JoanBE from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

I've had this rose in my garden since it was initially sold, more than 14 years ago. I live in St. Paul, zone 4 and this rose comes back more vigorously each spring than it was the summer before.

I always protect it (and my 3 other tea roses), as soon as the ground freezes, with dirt mounded over the base. After I cut the bushes back to about 18-24", each rose bush then is covered with a 30 gal. leaf back filled with OAK leaves, held in place with a large rock. They remain this way typically from November until late April - and then the McCartney is beautiful the remaining months of the year. I nearly melt when I inhale its fragrance! It is stunning.

On May 15, 2011, VaGal from Newport News, VA wrote:

Bought strictly on name. Surprised at how wonderfully fragrant the rose is and the large beautiful blooms. Had about 8 yrs and it gets more gorgeous with each passing year!

On Nov 21, 2010, birder17 from Jackson, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

This rose is probably the most fragrant rose I have and I only plant fragrant roses except for Carefree Beauty. Breathe deeply and it's almost intoxicating!
The 4-5" blooms are a very pretty true pink. It blooms continuously and prolifically. The foliage is quite striking with almost red new growth--almost looks like flowers on the end of the stems.
This is the second season for this rose and it is 6' tall. It has black spot, but I am not a very good rose gardener and my area has a lot of humidity.
I believe this is my favorite rose.

On May 19, 2010, ctindell from Sterling, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Very vigourous and healthy rose. Very fragrant! Great cutting rose. One of my favorite!

On Jan 9, 2010, Helen421 from Griffin, GA wrote:

I have grown three of these wonderful roses for over six years and they never fail to be beautiful. Mine are very large now with hugh trunks. The fragrance is devine.

On Jul 30, 2008, HeatherD42 from Fairfax, VA wrote:

When my McCartney rose blooms, I can't walk by without taking a deep sniff! I bought my rose as a bare root and it really started taking off by the 3rd year It is now in its 5th or 6th year and with proper pruning and fertilization is more gorgeous than ever! The first set of blooms is best before the Japanese Beetles appear. It litterally explodes with dozens of blossoms all at once. I posted a picture of the incredible profusion of blooms. I have some problems with black spot every year, but I've had luck with a fertilizer/fungicide. The bright color and incredible fragrance are an amazing combination, I'm so happy with my rose. And I only bought it because it's named after Paul McCartney! :o)~

On May 4, 2008, jayceedee from Conway, SC wrote:

This rose is incredible! I wish I had a camera to send a picture. Today, May 4, it is covered with about fifty large blooms. In previous years, it has continued to bloom like this until fall. The fragrance is amazing. It is the most disease resistant of all of my roses. Now I am trying to find a source to order more of these plants- it seems to be unavailable or sold out in the nurseries I have used. I am in South Carolina, 15 miles inland from the coast (Myrtle Beach).

On Jul 20, 2005, seedpicker_TX from (Taylor) Plano, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

22 international awards including four gold medals!
Superior fragrance, and one of the strongest. This rose is very healthy and grows to 7ft here in the south.

On May 16, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This rose has a very strong fragrance and a lovely color. The blooms are very large. It needs winter protection in zone 5.