Rhododendron 'Nova Zembla'

Family: Ericaceae (er-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rhododendron (roh-do-DEN-dron) (Info)
Cultivar: Nova Zembla

West Dummerston, Vermont

Waverly, Virginia

Hartford, Wisconsin

On May 3, 2015, RrrrrGrrrr from Atlanta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have six of these planted in the back garden. The blooms are beautiful. However, I had to be patient because they are slow growers. I lost a couple of them during a drought a few years ago. The remaining ones look very healthy. I've never done anything special to them, this year I am putting compost around the base of each one. The biggest of them is about five feet high by five feet wide.

On Sep 19, 2012, RosinaBloom from Waihi
New Zealand (Zone 1) wrote:

My Rhododendron Nova Zembla didn't flower last year. I've only put grass clippings from the lawn around it, and it is now flowering in all its glory welcoming small bumble bees. A delight in the garden. It is at this stage just under 6' x 6' high.

On Jun 5, 2010, harper97 from Pelham, NH wrote:

This is a terrific and popular rhodie for my area, zone 5b NH. The color is the reddest one is likely to grow this far north, kind of a hot magenta, which I love. I have mine in poor, gravelly soil so it is not as big and lush as some I've seen in my town, but even though I didn't get around to feeding last year, I still got some big, beautiful blooms this spring. The color does fade as the blooms age, but it's a winner in my book.

On Aug 4, 2009, Marlina from Blaine, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

Both me and my mother have this plant which makes it barely through our winter. The buds often don't open . The leaves are all brown and crusty and after having it for about 5 years now I am about to pull it out and get another PJM . It would look beautiful if it looked like the pictures but only about 5 flowers at its best year. I have moved it I have wrapped in burlap over the winter to protect it all to no avail.

On May 1, 2007, soulgardenlove from Marietta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I'm glad to know that this is considered one of the hardiest Rhododendrons as I had three, have had one die, half way lost the other and finally after a few years, one has bloomed quite nicely and is pictured here. I look forward to this one growing larger and hopefully propagating to replace the ones I've lost. It's is a gorgeous bloomer and I'm glad to have it despite the loss and bad health of the companions.

On Feb 14, 2005, Todd_Boland from St. John's, NL (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is considered the hardiest 'red' rhododendron although the colour is more pinkish-red. It is considered one of the 'iron-clad' or Catawba rhododendrons, hardy into zone 4.