PlantFiles: Rhododendron
Rhododendron 'Nova Zembla'

Family: Ericaceae (er-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rhododendron (roh-do-DEN-dron) (Info)
Cultivar: Nova Zembla

By Equilibrium
Thumbnail #7 of Rhododendron  by Equilibrium

Positive RosinaBloom On Sep 19, 2012, RosinaBloom from Waihi
New Zealand wrote:

My Rhododendron Nova Zembla didn't flower last year. I've only put grass clippings from the lawn around it, and it is now flowering in all its glory welcoming small bumble bees. A delight in the garden. It is at this stage just under 6' x 6' high.

Positive harper97 On Jun 5, 2010, harper97 from Pelham, NH wrote:

This is a terrific and popular rhodie for my area, zone 5b NH. The color is the reddest one is likely to grow this far north, kind of a hot magenta, which I love. I have mine in poor, gravelly soil so it is not as big and lush as some I've seen in my town, but even though I didn't get around to feeding last year, I still got some big, beautiful blooms this spring. The color does fade as the blooms age, but it's a winner in my book.

Negative Marlina On Aug 4, 2009, Marlina from Blaine, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

Both me and my mother have this plant which makes it barely through our winter. The buds often don't open . The leaves are all brown and crusty and after having it for about 5 years now I am about to pull it out and get another PJM . It would look beautiful if it looked like the pictures but only about 5 flowers at its best year. I have moved it I have wrapped in burlap over the winter to protect it all to no avail.

Positive soulgardenlove On May 1, 2007, soulgardenlove from Marietta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I'm glad to know that this is considered one of the hardiest Rhododendrons as I had three, have had one die, half way lost the other and finally after a few years, one has bloomed quite nicely and is pictured here. I look forward to this one growing larger and hopefully propagating to replace the ones I've lost. It's is a gorgeous bloomer and I'm glad to have it despite the loss and bad health of the companions.

Positive Todd_Boland On Feb 14, 2005, Todd_Boland from St. John's, NL (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is considered the hardiest 'red' rhododendron although the colour is more pinkish-red. It is considered one of the 'iron-clad' or Catawba rhododendrons, hardy into zone 4.

Marietta, Georgia