PlantFiles: Groundcover Rose
Rosa 'Baby Blanket'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Baby Blanket
Additional cultivar information: (PP08872, aka Summer Morning, Sommermorgen, Oxfordshire, KORfullwind)
Hybridized by Kordes; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1993

Class:
Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)
Shrub

Trained as rambler

Patented

Other Details:

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by jamie68

By Kell
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by Kell

Positive Cinnimini On Jan 2, 2012, Cinnimini from Potsdam, NY wrote:

We are zone 3 (30 to 40 below). We have two circular gardens devoted solely to J&P Baby Blanket ground cover roses with about 22 roses in each. For the past twelve years we have successfully brought between 75% and 95% of the roses through each winter using a heavy covering of mulch. We cut the plants way back before mulching, however, we wait until mid-November when frosts have become common place. We uncover the roses in mid April. A veteran rose gardener advised us many years ago not to cover too early or uncover too late.
We also have 18 Baby Blanket tree roses, with six of them lining one side of our long driveway about 15 feet apart, with a baby blanket groundcover rose spaced equal-distance between every two rose trees. We rarely lose a tree rose. In mid-November we dig up the back half of the tree rose and lay the tree flat against the ground with the trunk in a small narrow ditch we dig and the top of the tree in a hole dug at the other end. Then the entire tree, root to top, is covered with about nine to twelve inches of dirt. We uncover them in mid April. Our biggest challenge, because they flourish, is to cut the heavy growers back in mid-summer because if the top gets too heavy, then a strong wind can come along and the trunk may break. This happened twice, many years ago, before we learned. But in close to 15 years, we have had to replace relatively few rose trees. They easily make it through at least six years each.
J&P sells the tree roses for almost $40. However, if you can wait until mid-May they usually advertise a 2 for 1 sale. They may not arrive until early June, but you will have roses blooming by mid-summer and then for years to come even in the coldest climates, the tree will be covered by June.
The weeping baby blanket tree roses are truly magnificent, with the tree literally blanketed with roses from late May until September in our climate. The ground cover roses, as many of you have indicated, are not truly ground covers, but they are pretty and prolific if you treat them as a beautiful rose, with more spread than most roses, but not the spread or creep of a ground cover.

Positive GardenQuilts On Jul 3, 2011, GardenQuilts from Pocono Mountains, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

This rose has survived two zone 6a winters. It is a prolific bloomer with many cute pink flowers. The first season, it had a floribunda like habit about 2' tall. Once established, my own root rose has a "groundcover" habit, sending up 4-6' canes close to the ground. My only complaint is that it is bigger than expected. I am considering training it in a tuteur so that the flowers will be more visible.

Positive Lily_love On Feb 7, 2007, Lily_love from Central, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

Like many previous notes from other members. I found this rose absolutely beautiful, and needed very little care. Mine planted in zone 7b, high humidity level, and my 'baby' require no special care other than routine watering, some fertilizing, and in return it provided continous blosoms from late spring to fall. It enjoyed sunny location, although filtered shade does well for its requirement. I have two, one under a Magnolia tree, one in the back of my perenials border. Yes, this rose can grow quite tall, I pruned my back to 4-5 feet, keep them at eye-level for close up view. Both have given our family/friends/neighbors lot of pleasure. This winter I decide to move my rose where I can easily deadhead spent blosoms in order to recieve their continual blooms. It's also good time to side-dress this baby and other roses with 1-2" of composted humus at this time to prepare them for spring. Ohhh, Canbin fever, spring fiver, whatever you call it; I've gotten it bad. Happy gardening.

Positive jamie68 On Oct 28, 2006, jamie68 from Vancouver, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I am growing this rose as a standard (tree rose) and am so happy with it! It is different from many of the other standards I grow in that it has a weeping form that makes it truly stand out. Many of the branches weep almost to the ground, covered in clusters of blooms along the entire length - very pretty and a real focal point!! I neglected to photograph it in bloom, and will do so next year for sure!

Negative cjhaas On Sep 6, 2006, cjhaas from Saint Michael, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

Planted six of these supposed "ground cover" roses in a bed on our patio. Although not the low growing plants I expected, they have performed beautifully all summer.
I was unsure whether to snip the spent flower or not so I snipped away on three and left three alone. The ones that I snipped have not RE-bloomed as well as the ones that I left alone.
Do not know how they will survive a Minnesota winter (3b-4a). I will report back next spring.
UPDATE: May 22, 2007
Late last fall I cut back the six "Baby Blanket" plants, mulched them heavily and covered them. NONE survived our Minnesota winter, even though it was a relatively mild winter as Minnesota winter's go.
Too bad, they were pretty. Does anyone know, did I do something wrong? Should I not have cut them back? Did I mulch them too heavily?

Negative sladeofsky On May 26, 2006, sladeofsky from Louisville, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I purchased several of these from Jackson and Perkins. They are lovely but not at all a ground cover. I planted them atop a small embankment, hoping they would cascade down. No such luck. I am giving this plant a negative only because it is sold as a groundcover. It is actually a good front of the border plant with a cheery color and a soft classic rose scent.

Neutral threemonkeys On Feb 25, 2005, threemonkeys from Marietta, GA wrote:

I purchased about 3 dozen of these from Jackson and Perkins. They were BEAUTIFUL the first year. The second year, they began having disease problems despite regular fungicide treatment (in Georgia, so not too surprising). My biggest complaint, however, is that they are not at all a groundcover. They are really more of a short (not quite miniature) rose. Since we were looking for more of a groundcover, we will have to replace them all this year with something more suitable for the slope they were planted on.

Positive woodspirit1 On Feb 9, 2003, woodspirit1 from Lake Toxaway, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

I planted mine at the top of my rock garden to cascade down and cover up what was once an old bulldozer scar. It does bloom nicely and I love having it, but it's habit is not quite as much a groundcover as I would like. It is a lot more arching. Otherwise, it is quite trouble-free here. It grows 6-7 feet long so I am going to buy a trellis for it. I meant to say when I first posted this description that Baby Blanket tolerates a lot more shade than I would have thought and still blooms well.

Positive Vacationland On Feb 9, 2003, Vacationland wrote:

I purchased this from Jackson and Perkins and planted it on the edge of my driveway here in zone 4/5 where the soil is not the best and the snow blower has accidentally gone over it on occasion. Totally abused, it has returned three years now with beautiful foliage, a profusion of soft pink continuous blossoms, and no sign of disease. Sweet fragrance. Variety: KORfullwind.

Neutral JSS On Aug 9, 2001, JSS from Cordova, MD wrote: