Floribunda, Shrub Rose
Rosa 'Baby Blanket'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Baby Blanket
Additional cultivar information:(PP8872, County Series Collection , aka KORfullwind, Country Lass, Oxfordshire, Sommermorgen, Summer Morning)
Hybridized by Kordes
Registered or introduced: 1993

Class:

Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

Shrub

Trained as rambler

Patent expired

Other Details:

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Winston Salem, North Carolina

Delaware Water Gap, Pennsylvania

Spring, Texas

On Feb 14, 2015, DaylilySLP from Dearborn Heights, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

(Weisse Immensee Goldmarie (floribunda, Kordes, 1982))

On Jan 6, 2015, DDinSB from Montecito, CA wrote:

This rose flows down the slope and is covered in pretty pink flowers much of the year. I don't usually do much to maintain it. The rose has come back from fire (2008), though looked horrible due to drought in S. Cal this year (2014), so I cut it to ground in early November hoping it might come back. It is making a great come-back and no evidence it was ever stressed! Getting ready to bloom now, though it's January!

On Jan 2, 2012, Cinnimini from Potsdam, NY wrote:

We are zone 3 (30 to 40 below). We have two circular gardens devoted solely to J&P Baby Blanket ground cover roses with about 22 roses in each. For the past twelve years we have successfully brought between 75% and 95% of the roses through each winter using a heavy covering of mulch. We cut the plants way back before mulching, however, we wait until mid-November when frosts have become common place. We uncover the roses in mid April. A veteran rose gardener advised us many years ago not to cover too early or uncover too late.
We also have 18 Baby Blanket tree roses, with six of them lining one side of our long driveway about 15 feet apart, with a baby blanket groundcover rose spaced equal-distance between every two rose trees. We rarely lose a tree rose. In mid-Nov... read more

On Jul 3, 2011, GardenQuilts from Pocono Mountains, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

This rose has survived two zone 6a winters. It is a prolific bloomer with many cute pink flowers. The first season, it had a floribunda like habit about 2' tall. Once established, my own root rose has a "groundcover" habit, sending up 4-6' canes close to the ground. My only complaint is that it is bigger than expected. I am considering training it in a tuteur so that the flowers will be more visible.

On Feb 7, 2007, Lily_love from Central, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

Like many previous notes from other members. I found this rose absolutely beautiful, and needed very little care. Mine planted in zone 7b, high humidity level, and my 'baby' require no special care other than routine watering, some fertilizing, and in return it provided continous blosoms from late spring to fall. It enjoyed sunny location, although filtered shade does well for its requirement. I have two, one under a Magnolia tree, one in the back of my perenials border. Yes, this rose can grow quite tall, I pruned my back to 4-5 feet, keep them at eye-level for close up view. Both have given our family/friends/neighbors lot of pleasure. This winter I decide to move my rose where I can easily deadhead spent blosoms in order to recieve their continual blooms. It's also good time to... read more

On Oct 28, 2006, jamie68 from Vancouver, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I am growing this rose as a standard (tree rose) and am so happy with it! It is different from many of the other standards I grow in that it has a weeping form that makes it truly stand out. Many of the branches weep almost to the ground, covered in clusters of blooms along the entire length - very pretty and a real focal point!! I neglected to photograph it in bloom, and will do so next year for sure!

On Sep 6, 2006, cjhaas from Saint Michael, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

Planted six of these supposed "ground cover" roses in a bed on our patio. Although not the low growing plants I expected, they have performed beautifully all summer.
I was unsure whether to snip the spent flower or not so I snipped away on three and left three alone. The ones that I snipped have not RE-bloomed as well as the ones that I left alone.
Do not know how they will survive a Minnesota winter (3b-4a). I will report back next spring.
UPDATE: May 22, 2007
Late last fall I cut back the six "Baby Blanket" plants, mulched them heavily and covered them. NONE survived our Minnesota winter, even though it was a relatively mild winter as Minnesota winter's go.
Too bad, they were pretty. Does anyone know, did I do something wrong? Should I not have c... read more

On May 26, 2006, sladeofsky from Louisville, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I purchased several of these from Jackson and Perkins. They are lovely but not at all a ground cover. I planted them atop a small embankment, hoping they would cascade down. No such luck. I am giving this plant a negative only because it is sold as a groundcover. It is actually a good front of the border plant with a cheery color and a soft classic rose scent.

On Feb 25, 2005, threemonkeys from Marietta, GA wrote:

I purchased about 3 dozen of these from Jackson and Perkins. They were BEAUTIFUL the first year. The second year, they began having disease problems despite regular fungicide treatment (in Georgia, so not too surprising). My biggest complaint, however, is that they are not at all a groundcover. They are really more of a short (not quite miniature) rose. Since we were looking for more of a groundcover, we will have to replace them all this year with something more suitable for the slope they were planted on.

On Feb 9, 2003, woodspirit1 from Lake Toxaway, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

I planted mine at the top of my rock garden to cascade down and cover up what was once an old bulldozer scar. It does bloom nicely and I love having it, but it's habit is not quite as much a groundcover as I would like. It is a lot more arching. Otherwise, it is quite trouble-free here. It grows 6-7 feet long so I am going to buy a trellis for it. I meant to say when I first posted this description that Baby Blanket tolerates a lot more shade than I would have thought and still blooms well.

On Feb 9, 2003, Vacationland wrote:

I purchased this from Jackson and Perkins and planted it on the edge of my driveway here in zone 4/5 where the soil is not the best and the snow blower has accidentally gone over it on occasion. Totally abused, it has returned three years now with beautiful foliage, a profusion of soft pink continuous blossoms, and no sign of disease. Sweet fragrance. Variety: KORfullwind.

On Aug 9, 2001, JSS from Cordova, MD wrote: