Daylily 'Red Volunteer'

Family: Hemerocallidaceae (hem-er-oh-kal-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hemerocallis (hem-er-oh-KAL-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Volunteer
Hybridized by Oakes
Registered or introduced: 1984
» View all varieties of Daylilies

Midseason (M)

Flower Size:

Large (more than 4.5" diameter)

Blooming Habit:

Foliage Habit:

Dormant (dor.)

Awards (if applicable):

Stout Silver Medal Runner-up

Lenington All-American Award (or runner-up)

Award of Merit (or runner-up)

Honorable Mention

Mount Horeb, Wisconsin

Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Sussex, Wisconsin

On Jul 6, 2014, bobbieberecz from Concrete, WA wrote:

There are many pluses with this daylily; any one of them making a purchase worth your $$. First is the show-stopping brilliant red! The blooms each year are no less than 6 inches across and usually bigger; the blooms last a long time before dropping. The plant grows big and lush and doesn't mind sun or part shade. Mine gets regular watering in fast draining soil with plenty of nutritious mulch. Last year I didn't get around to deadheading the plant and when I finally did, I discovered numerous little starts coming out of the leaf joint on the stem. I read not to expect flowers from these starts for a few years and to grow them for two years in pots in a greenhouse. Too much ado for this lazy gardener so I put them in pots for a couple of months then stuck them in the ground late fal... read more

On Sep 4, 2011, sassycat1940 from Brownsdale, NL zone 4b

I planted my red volunteer late last fall. It is blooming well and it is stunning. I haven,t seen such a beautiful red.

On Aug 10, 2011, susansconi from Rumford, RI (Zone 5b) wrote:

A must have red! Gorgeous color that refuses to fade or wither.Really nice, tall foliage w/thick scapes tall enough to stand well over.HUGE perfectly formed 7" flowers.When purchasing, I visited a Daylily farm that grows hundreds of varieties, but this red is so stunning and prolific, it stood out to me and seemed far superior to all the other reds in the garden.It did extremely well in mine and draws the most compliments of all the daylilies I own.

On Jan 3, 2011, pointgarden from Newport, RI wrote:

Rich well saturated red,7" flower,strong foliage.

On Sep 7, 2009, FlowerManiac from Coppell, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

New to my garden last year and all I can say is WOW .... grew large and began spreading quickly, the foliage clump is big for daylilies, produced an abundance of flowers on tall scapes the first year that were a brilliant red which even the hot Texas summer sun couldn't fade.

On Jan 24, 2009, Mainer from Durham, ME (Zone 3a) wrote:

Seems to survive Maine winters and is increasing nicely. bloome a bloom the took a year off and now it has many blooms. Liking what I see so far.

On Jul 10, 2007, alwaysaflowergirl from Coventry, CT wrote:

WHERE DID THE RED GO? This is a beautiful daylily...the red is bright and deep and velvety! okay, WAS beautiful. The strangest thing happened. As I have been impatiently awaiting the burst of red in my two gardens that offset the other colors and attract the hummingbirds, I was astonished to come home after a weekend away to find YELLOW daylillies bursting. They are gorgeous, but now one of my gardens has an over abundance of yellow. Can someone tell me how this happened? I know I planted Red Volunteer in May 2006...they were stunning last summer. Where did all the pretty red flowers go?

On Aug 2, 2006, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

Beautiful red!

Like red velvet!

On Jul 20, 2004, leslie5 from Ithaca, NY wrote:

My favorite daylily. The color is so rich and complex. It grows here in central New York in partial shade. I have it in two places--on a steep slope, and streamside

On Jul 12, 2004, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I had a neighbor wanting a really red daylily when I got to the daylily farm I saw this and knew this was the one. It is really pretty I am gonna have to dab some pollen from this one in my crosses.

On Feb 24, 2003, Trish_M from Hilliard, OH wrote:

This is an older daylily, but it is still a beauty! It was number 9 in the top 10 AHS National Popularity Pole in 2002.

On Jan 29, 2003, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

7" red blooms,30" scapes,Oakes (1984)