Philodendron 'Brasil'

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Philodendron (fil-oh-DEN-dron) (Info)
Cultivar: Brasil

Eugene, Oregon

North Richland Hills, Texas

Sugar Land, Texas

On Nov 22, 2014, kwie2011 from Cottage Grove, OR wrote:

I've bought 2 of these, both small, and both from the same nursery. Neither has done well. I'm normally very good with plants. I have dozens of them, including the very similar Philodendron oxycardium, and it is exceedingly rare for a plant to fail in my care, so I don't know why this so called "easy" plant fails to thrive. They appeared to be suffering from a little overwatering in the nursery, and they are planted in coir, but other plants have come back from much worse.

I'll eventually get another from a different source, and if it does well I'll change my opinion, but for now, I'm very disappointed with the vigor of this plant. Too bad, because it really is beautiful.

On Feb 10, 2012, angelainmaine from Augusta, ME (Zone 5b) wrote:

This plant is beautiful and easily propagated. My mother plant has several leaves on it that are quite large. It roots easily in water, but I can never seem to get the large leaves and stems to root.

On May 13, 2009, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a small leafed Philodendron with heart shaped leaves that are broadly variegated with yellow and green.

On Nov 4, 2006, plantladylin from (Zone 1) wrote:

One of my favorite Philo's ... very pretty coloration, easy houseplant.

On Jun 25, 2006, jungleboy_fl from Naples, FL wrote:

This easy to grow philodendron luxuriates in zone 10. It is very hardy and fast growing.

On Mar 4, 2005, NativePlantFan9 from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

This is an attractive hybrid of Philodendron scandens spp. oxycardium, or Heart-leaf Philodendron, a popular species that is very commonly grown indoors with all-green, heart-shaped leaves. This variety cultivar has dark green leaves with lighter, lime-green or yellowish or lighter green splotches or stripes.

This variety, like the common non-variegated P. scandens spp. oxycardium, is very useful for growing indoors as a houseplant. It is a vining spp. like P. scandens spp. oxycardium.

As for growing outside, this variety may possibly survive in zones 10b through 11. The common non-variegated P. scandens spp. oxycardium, meanwhile, may survive outdoors possibly in zones 10a through 11.