Hot Pepper 'Fatalii'

Capsicum chinense

Genus: Capsicum (KAP-sih-kum) (Info)
Species: chinense (chi-NEN-see) (Info)
Cultivar: Fatalii
» View all varieties of Peppers

Heat (Pungency):

Extremely Hot (above 30,000 Scoville Units)

Fruit Shape:

Fruit Size:

Small (under 2" in length)

Medium (4" to 6" in length)

Fruit Color:

Drexel, North Carolina

Goodlettsville, Tennessee

Orem, Utah

On May 28, 2014, Wustenfuchs from Morgan Hill, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I grow several of these every year. A large, beautiful and productive plant. Fantastic taste and HOT! A really underrated member of the chinense family.

On Oct 16, 2012, annie57 from Drexel, NC wrote:

My favorite of the chinese! I do not grow these in containers and have one plant in no-till garden, over 5 feet. AACTeas per stage of growth.

I detect a really distinct pineapple/tropical fruit flavor from this pepper but soil has been amended and amended over time. Also, I think peppers are just sweeter, more full-bodied when get a lot of rain and or irrigation, which we had this year. Still making hot sauces from fatalli, drying into powders, doing some blending with dried 7 pot yellows. WONDERFUL pepper!

On Apr 22, 2012, dda1974 from Bonaire, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is my absolute favorite hot pepper. They grow well for me here in central Georgia. I grow them in pots so they don't get to terribly tall but I still have a couple in the freezer from two years ago. I even overwintered one plant in the house.

On Aug 12, 2007, KevinTernes from Goodlettsville, TN (Zone 6a) wrote:

Wicked appearance is appropriate. I grew these in containers (potting soil), in full sun all day long, only watering when they were well-wilted.

On Nov 30, 2006, critterologist from Frederick, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

Vigorous, 5 ft. tall plants produced huge numbers of large (2-3 inch, large for a chile), bright yellow peppers. They weren't quite as fruity as some of the other habaneros we've grown ('Red Sevina' and 'Chocolate Hab' were even more flavorful), but they were still one of our favorites.

They definitely enjoyed the extra warmth of the south-facing foundation wall they were planted near, and twice weekly irrigation ensured that they were well watered. Did I mention that these peppers are also blazingly hot? LOL

On Apr 26, 2005, Hot4peppers from Sheldon, IA wrote:

Have not had success trying to grow Fatalii in northwest Iowa. My first time with the seeds they didn't germinate while other varieties given same care did germinate. 2nd attempt began with live plants purchased from a supplier, lived but did not produce well -- the growing season here is probably too short. The few chiles I did get off this plant were great and matched descriptions already posted here.

On Mar 17, 2005, Love2Troll from (Zone 5b) wrote:

One of the best of the best chinense. Awesome heat & awesome fruity flavor.

On Nov 10, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bright yellow 2 1/2 fruits are as hot as Habarnero. Originated in central Africa. (80 day)