Dwarf Japanese Cedar 'Globosa Nana'

Cryptomeria japonica

Family: Cupressaceae (koo-press-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cryptomeria (krip-toh-MER-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: japonica (juh-PON-ih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Globosa Nana

Pollen may cause allergic reaction

By air layering

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

Summerville, South Carolina

Winnsboro, South Carolina

On Apr 24, 2015, lilyred from Cherokee, AL wrote:

Two out of three of these plants have died for me. All are in same area. The brown "rot" starts at the bottom and moves up. These were put in when I had some landscaping done. They are lovely when alive.

On Aug 24, 2014, sophie1950 from South Greenfield, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

Received a beautiful specimen of this shrub in August of 2013, and it settled in well and stayed very attractive well into our zone 6 winter - no temps lower than 5 above, with better than average snowfall, and adequate rainfall and watering. This spring the entire interior of the plant had turned brown, and as the weather warmed up the brown has come to affect the exterior as well. This plant had been billed as being able to tolerate somewhat drier soils, and needing good drainage and good air circulation - I planted it in a rocky hillside with excellent drainage and a sprinkler that I ran any week that we did not receive at least an inch of rain during the growing season. I have contacted the nurseryman who sold this individual, and he is going to replace it, but commented that 'this pl... read more

On Feb 17, 2013, gardenspot107 from Summerville, SC wrote:

This small shrub is perfect for a moist, north side of home garden. The color and texture is unmatched by many types of shrubs. The shade of green and the fullness of the mini branches are what makes it so perfect. It doesn't like to dry out, so it is near my rainbarrel benefiting from spillover water or stored water during a drought. It is very slow growing, but the color and feel of the plant makes it a special addition to my garden, and maybe yours?

On May 12, 2012, adbjwb from Madison, MS (Zone 8a) wrote:

I planted six of these four years ago -- three on either side of the front walk. They have not grown uniformly -- Plants on one side of the walk are significantly larger than the three on the other side. (A couple of photos here show the difference.)

There has been some die-back. They are planted on the south side of the house so they get a lot of sun. It seems to me that they would be better suited for a somewhat cooler climate where there is more consistent moisture in the soil.

On Aug 15, 2006, dwarfconifer from Boyds, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

Very attractive, cloud-like, compact, groomed yet shaggy, slow growing, up to 7 ft tall x 6 ft wide, green all year.