Lady's Mantle

Alchemilla xanthochlora

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Alchemilla (al-kem-ILL-uh) (Info)
Species: xanthochlora (zan-tho-KLOR-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Alchemilla vulgaris

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Moss Beach, California

Stanwood, Washington

Marinette, Wisconsin

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

On Nov 20, 2009, bonehead from Cedarhome, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Clumps fill in quickly, and self-seed rampantly. The seedlings can either be moved to other locations, or are easy to pull out. The flower clusters look like a haze of yellow-green, very pretty. When they flop over, cut the flower stalks back hard and trim up the foliage, cleaning out the underside of the plant as well. It will quickly respond and look full and lush again.

On Mar 28, 2007, amethystsm from belleville, NJ (Zone 6a) wrote:

last year was my 1st year gardening. lady's mantle was one of my few total failures. i bought it as a plant, and it failed away slowly through the summer. it never flowered at all, and the leaves went too, some by bugs, some just withered away...

On Nov 15, 2006, sterhill from Atlanta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Zone 7b - Atlanta - I have tried on three occasions to grow this plant - I even raised some from seed. They looked lovely when I planted them but they just dwindled away. I do pretty well with almost everything else.

On Dec 22, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

A wonderful, carefree plant that I have in the rocks above our pond, planted around 1999. I give it no care - other than to clear off the dead leaves in early spring and harvest the flowers to dry in July and August.

It requires moist soil, and this area is inundated with springs and runoff from rains, it requires no fertilizer and has grown quite well from the little 6" potted plant that I started with - in fact, it has sown freely and I have several other small plants started just out of camera shot and I'm happy to have them. The beautiful velvety green leaves are gorgeous after a rain as the drops tend to "puddle" and glisten on top of them.

In July the petite lime green/yellowish flower stalks are held above the leaves and later fall so that it look... read more

On Jul 4, 2004, OMC from Dothan, AL wrote:

A few years ago I ordered Lady"s Mantle from a flower catalog. In the catalog it showed that this plant will grow in my zone 8b. I planted three plants and they soon died. Later I read in another catalog that they would grow only to zone 7. If anyone has grown them in zone 8b, I would like to know if they where able to grow them. Marie

On Jan 22, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

It takes 2+ years to flower from seed.