PlantFiles: Spider Flower, Spider Legs, Grandfather's Whiskers, Cleome
Cleome houtteana 'Sparkler Blush'

Family: Cleomaceae
Genus: Cleome (klee-OH-me) (Info)
Species: houtteana (hoot-AH-na) (Info)
Cultivar: Sparkler Blush
Additional cultivar information: (Sparklerô series; aka Sparklerô Blush)

Synonym:Cleome hassleriana
Synonym:Cleome sesquiorygalis
Synonym:Tarenaya hassleriana

Not Applicable

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Pale Pink

Thumbnail #5 of Cleome houtteana by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #6 of Cleome houtteana by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #7 of Cleome houtteana by DaylilySLP

Positive Amber_O On Aug 29, 2009, Amber_O from Gaithersburg, MD wrote:

We have so many deer in our neighborhood, many of which congregate in the area directly behind my home. Our current herd is 20 strong. I have been trying to find plants that they won't eat.

This year I did alot of research and planted numerous "deer resistant" seeds in the back of my home. Unfortunately, the deer ate every one of them...except for the Cleome. The Cleome are growing beautifully and I can't wait to see how they spread next year.

I have had many Cleome volunteers in my front yard over the years. I always thought they were pretty. However this is the first time I have truly appreciated them and grown to love them because the deer haven't eaten them! In fact the deer left all the plants in my front yard garden alone this year due to being surrounded by Cleome. I don't know if this always happens but I'm hoping it will again next year.

Cleome also attracts the most wonderful insects. I have a garden full of bees, butterflys both large and small and I am also visited frequently by hummingbird moths. If you haven't ever seen a hummingbird moth you are missing something wonderful. They are truly amazing and in my neighborhood they are huge.

Positive lsander153 On Aug 2, 2007, lsander153 from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

These things grow like weeds, flowering prolifically and reseeding themselves every year. We have some in the full sun, where they thrive as described above. I've tried some in a fairly shady woodland that gets periodic sun, and they are growing but not thriving, producing only a few weak flowers. Some of those in the woods were planted from 4" seedlings; initially they just collapsed and looked like they'd not survive, but with watering they have recovered and are now healthy-looking small plants.

Positive IndoorGardner On Mar 22, 2007, IndoorGardner from Falls Church, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I love this plant. It gives off a rather "interesting" scent. You will either love or not. As soon as you touch its stems the scent gets more intense. It's almost like its protecting itself.

I grow it indoors in my office. It was not suppose to grow at all. The seeds came from the dollar store as a joke. Now she is six feet tall living in a window box. I have to water her everyday or she fades with thirst.

If you grow from seed it takes some time to germinate. These took 3 months. (Could be the brand) The results were well worth the wait.

Positive Darleen On Aug 19, 2005, Darleen from 8 miles from Athens, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

I actually bought 3 seedlings 20 years ago: one white, one pink, one rose.

Since then, I have had a constant supply of both seeds and seedlings true to the original 3 colors. Rose has been the least prolific, white the most. Once the plant begins to bloom it blooms non stop as it grows taller until frost. Humingbirds love it! As the bloom progresses at the top of each stem thin "bean-like" seed pods will form behind. The plant grows up to 5' tall for me in zone 6A. Seems to prefer moist conditions and full sun for optimum bloom and color. Blooms are prettiest in the morning sun.

Easily self sows to the point of being invasive, controlable with thining. Wear gloves if you thin older plants as they develop soft yet painful thorns along the stems as they mature.

Thin or transplant babies 3-5 feet apart in the back of the border. Although cleome looks lovely at a distance, I keep mine close to watch the action of the hummingbirds and bees.

Bass River,