California Huckleberry, Evergreen Huckleberry

Vaccinium ovatum

Family: Ericaceae (er-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Vaccinium (vak-SIN-ee-um) (Info)
Species: ovatum (oh-VAY-tum) (Info)
Synonym:Vaccinium ovatum var. ovatum

Edible Fruits and Nuts

4.5 or below (very acidic)

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

From hardwood cuttings

Olympia, Washington

South Hill, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

On Nov 4, 2013, MulchingMan from Eugene, OR wrote:

This is a nice-looking evergreen (duh) that has showy new growth and produces really tasty berries. (Too bad they're so small!) As mentioned earlier, they're fussy about transplanting, take a while to establish, and grow pretty slow. They have some drought tolerance once established, but will fry in afternoon sun in interior sites like the Willamette Valley. Best to keep them in shade or partial shade if you're not right on the coast.

On May 15, 2011, GardenDroid from Puyallup, WA wrote:

When I first bought and transplanted this plant, they just about went into stasis for an entire year. I noticed no development or growth at all. I've heard huckleberries do NOT like transplanting, and this experience confirmed this. However, most of them appear to be kicking off this year pretty well. They should be considered a very attractive and long term plant. Beautiful green and red foliage and pretty little pink flower clusters in the spring. I'll probably be moving in a year or two and I'm afraid I should have waited until I was in more of a "dream home" to give them a permanent place.

On Jan 22, 2011, JohannsGarden from Buckley, WA wrote:

I planted two of these about a year and a half ago. They put on really good growth last spring and summer in the shade. They look good in every season. I'm hoping to try growing them in some other locations in the future (possibly in a hedgerow). The berries were a bit tart when they first appeared ripe, however after letting them stay longer on the plant they sweetened up.

On Oct 23, 2007, wannadanc from Olympia, WA wrote:

I transplanted this before I knew that it was supposed to be a difficult task!!! I used a teaspoon to gently work very small plants from forest floor. Roots ran just under the surface. 10 years later I have fruit bearing shrubs - about 5 ft. tall!!!!

On Jun 27, 2007, hilladen from Lake Oswego, OR wrote:

Produces a tasty little berry that is similar to a blueberry. Leaves and twigs are high in vitamin C and can be made into a tea.

Will provide year round presence with its small dark glossy leaves. Grows well under fir and pine trees.