PlantFiles: Blood Lily
Haemanthus coccineus

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Haemanthus (hem-AN-thus) (Info)
Species: coccineus (kok-SIN-ee-us) (Info)

Bulbs

Not Applicable

Partial to Full Shade

Red-Orange

Bronze-Green
Shiny/Glossy-Textured
Succulent

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By Jeff_H

By plicht
Thumbnail #7 of Haemanthus coccineus by plicht

Positive PossumGreen On Sep 2, 2013, PossumGreen from Adelaide
Australia wrote:

I first came across this plant in my grandmother's garden in Tatura, Victoria Australia. Never knew what it was. Last week I came across the same plant in the riverland South Australia and looked it up. Coccineus variety. I believe the SA plant is the same (have not seen the flowers yet). Now a huge plant that had been left/neglected in the ground and multiplied ontop of its self. The top plants leaves spanned almost 2feetlong at least 30cm wide. Not sureif I should leave it in the ground or dig it up. Expecting unusually hot summer.

Positive jacquio On Jun 8, 2012, jacquio from Melbourne
Australia wrote:

I found blood lily growing on a building site in Highett (near the coast) and picked the flower. I found it dropped pods after about two or three weeks when the flower died. I now have all the pods and am not sure whether to plant them now. As suggested here I took the hard seed from the pods soft outer casing even though others seem to be transforming themselves. I have put them in sandy soil and will try my luck growing this beautiful flower. Hopefully I succeed. Thanks to all of you for the information :)

Positive srcharters On Mar 3, 2012, srcharters from Auckland
New Zealand wrote:

I've grown it for a few years - both in the ground and in a pot -it seems to prefer being crowded. The advantage of a pot is that it can be moved when the foliage has died down.

I divided and repotted last year and had no flowers, just leaves, but this autumn there has been a great display. The flowers - bright orangey pink with speckled stalks - always evoke comment from visitors and the very broad, strappy leaves make a nice contrast with other foliage.

Positive Kaelkitty On Jul 1, 2007, Kaelkitty from Adelaide
Australia (Zone 10a) wrote:

Mine shocked me by producing 6 seeds from its very first flowering, mind you it was a good sized (expensive) bulb when I purchased it. The seeds are large and are contained singly in a fleshy pink berry which goes very soft and squishy over several weeks. Eventually they will come away from the flower head when touched. By this time the berry flesh is slimy and watery. I removed all the flesh and washed the seeds under the tap then I left them on the kitchen table for a few weeks. I was amazed to find a root coming from one of them as they sat there and planted them in a sandy seed mix immediately with the seed aril at the side and barely buried. The first leaf appeared about three weeks later.

Positive seachell On May 21, 2007, seachell from Whangarei
New Zealand wrote:

First saw them growing between a concrete footpath and a concrete retaining wall. Found out what they were and have grown mine in a pot for the last 8 years. Finally they are multipying both along the tuber and by seed. I dont give them any care except to keep the snails away and an occasional light dressing with blood and bone fertilizer. I didn't like the white blood lilys as much, not so showy.

Positive imogen15 On Feb 11, 2007, imogen15 from Hamilton
New Zealand wrote:

Just discovered what I have in the pot outside!! Its a fantastic bloom. I thought I had killed it when I saw the leaves die away, but then hoorah the blooms have appeared.
Wondering if the flowers are poisonous or not as I have small boy who is very inquisitive? Thanks.

Neutral JaxFlaGardener On May 22, 2006, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I purchased one of these plants in a mesh sack from one of the "big box" stores. There were no planting directions on the packaging. I should have checked the Plant Files before putting it into the ground. Finding here that this plant is in the Amaryllis Family, and after seeing a Blood Lily potted up at a friend's house, I am now aware that the bulb needs to be at soil level with the top of the bulb out of the dirt.

I planted the Blood Lily in my garden as I would most bulbs and ended up burying it too deep. It grew the first year and made leaves but never bloomed. It has not returned this year. If it makes any sign of growth, I will dig it up and replant it with the top of the bulb protruding from the soil as is customary for any Amaryllis.

There is no info in this Plant Files page for the hardiness Zone range for the Blood Lily. It would be great if someone could add that info for those of us that would like to grow it outdoors instead of growing it as a potted plant.

Jeremy

Positive Derek_c On May 21, 2006, Derek_c from Sydney
Australia wrote:

I have 2 of these plants growing in 15 inch pot. They flower every year and receive very little attention other than water and a handful of blood and bone each year. The flower is about a foot high, almost brush like in appearance, lasts 2-3 weeks in late summer, and then the leaves start to emerge. They grow to about a metre in lenght and about 100mm wide (4ins) Glossy and deep green.
Semi shade seems to suit, hardy and easy to grow in Sydney Australia.

Positive pokerboy On Jan 30, 2005, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

Great bulb that produces huge, red flowers with with a yellow inside. Very expensive. pokerboy.

Positive Jeff_H On Nov 20, 2004, Jeff_H from San Francisco, CA wrote:

Georgeous South African bulb that flowers in the fall, followed by thick, strap-like leaves. The flower stems have a really nice red & green pattern to them.

Berkeley, California