PlantFiles: Carpathian Harebell, Carpathian Bellflower, Tussock Bellflower
Campanula carpatica 'Blue Clips'

Family: Campanulaceae (kam-pan-yew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Campanula (kam-PAN-yoo-luh) (Info)
Species: carpatica (kar-PAT-ih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Blue Clips
Additional cultivar information: (aka Blue Chips, Blaue Clips)

Alpines and Rock Gardens

Dark Blue
Blue-Violet

Blue-Green

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By Weezingreens

By sammigirl
Thumbnail #6 of Campanula carpatica by sammigirl

By KaylyRed
Thumbnail #7 of Campanula carpatica by KaylyRed

Negative plantgnome1 On Aug 1, 2012, plantgnome1 from nowhere land, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have five of these as well as 5 white clips in a small garden for a ground cover. First of all this plant should be listed as "Rabbit Food"-because they ate two of them. left a small mound of greenery, hopefully they will come back next year. the ones that didn't get eaten bloomed-not very many flowers and don't last long. I should have planted snow in summer instead. they don't seem to be bothered by rabbits and spread quickly with tiny white flowers all over them. Don't bother with these.

Positive ms_greenjeans On Nov 15, 2010, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

This is a reliable, long-blooming plant, and since I'm a fan of flowers in the blue/purple color family, it is one of my favorites. It works well as either a border or filler plant and tolerates a wide range of sun/shade conditions.

Neutral stopandsmelltheroses On Jun 22, 2010, stopandsmelltheroses from Sebastopol, CA wrote:

I bought these at my local nursery this spring. They were not in bloom and were depicted as blue. Mine are PINK! I still love them and they are continuing
to bloom. I have planted the dried flower buds. I am in Zone 9 and have not had many hot days this season. I have staked them to keep them from flopping over and they already have new buds coming up. Nice addition and get many
compliments.

Neutral birder17 On Sep 21, 2009, birder17 from Jackson, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

I grew Campanula "Blue Chips" from seed. I think every seed germinated. The plants were extremely hardy as I kept waiting to find the "right spot" to plant all these plants. I kept dividing the plants and putting them in more pots. I finally planted them in bright shade or the north side of my house and bascially forgot about them. They have bloomed all summer with an occasional watering. I also planted some in hanging baskets with other bigger flowers They did not do as well. These flowers are very easy to germinated by winter sowing. The blooms are quite small but many, and the blue is pretty intense: I would call it a royal blue.

Positive Marlina On Aug 2, 2009, Marlina from Blaine, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

I have both the white and the blue and planted them amongst my hosta just for a little color and until the hosta got bigger and now it is four years later and I have them in between and along the edge of the whole one side of that garden they will grow and spread in sun or light shade does not matter. Pretty addition.

Positive Jootsey On Oct 1, 2008, Jootsey from Oconto, WI (Zone 4b) wrote:

Beautiful little mounds that bloom from June to October, if you shear back after the first bloom. Easy to divide.

Positive mbhoakct76 On May 11, 2008, mbhoakct76 from Winsted, CT wrote:

As i look back to the tag it says part shade- but mine are planted in full sun and bloomed alot last year,
last winter was their first winter but it seems they made it through ok in zone 5.

Neutral dicentra63 On Jun 25, 2007, dicentra63 from West Valley City, UT (Zone 6b) wrote:

They did OK for awhile in part shade, then they were eaten up either by gastropods or Convolvulus arvensis (bindweed).

Negative MN_gardener On Jun 21, 2007, MN_gardener from Rochester, MN wrote:

I LOVE the look of these plants (or, should I say, "the small bit of one which still remains")... some "critter" seems to find them desirable too as in Spring~~>early Summer, I can enjoy huge, beautiful, blue & white flowering clips along the front border of the entrance to our home, & THEN, the very next morning when I go out to admire & deadhead our lovely plants, I find they have been munched away right down to the soil, & then, they do not come back ever again!

Negative fluffygrue On Jul 12, 2005, fluffygrue from Manchester
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

Wasn't very impressed - didn't flower for much more than a week and didn't last the winter in the UK.

Positive 33libra On Jun 10, 2005, 33libra from Winnipeg, MB (Zone 3a) wrote:

Both Blue Clips and White Clips are fantastic bloomers. They edge my front garden and everyone remarks on them. You can divide them easily and they grow remarkably fast. Rain or shine, they look great. I have them in full sun, light shade and shade.

Glen Avon, California
Detroit, Michigan
Owosso, Michigan
Stephenson, Michigan
Hopkins, Minnesota
Minneapolis, Minnesota (3 reports)
Rochester, Minnesota