Koreanspice Viburnum 'Aurora'

Viburnum carlesii

Family: Adoxaceae (a-dox-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Viburnum (vy-BUR-num) (Info)
Species: carlesii (KARLS-ee-eye) (Info)
Cultivar: Aurora

Jersey City, New Jersey

Columbia, South Carolina

Midlothian, Virginia

On Apr 3, 2013, Dody1 from O Fallon, MO wrote:

I had no place to plant my V. Carlesii 'Aurora' when I bought it four years ago. The home we bought was filled w/mature trees front & back. But I could not resist the fragrance this little guy was giving off while at the nursery. I planted it in berm I started around a grouping of oak trees; smack dab in the middle of 3 trees, which only receives dappled shade all day long. I thought I would transplant it after we cleared more land, & gained more sun. But now four years later my Viburnum is still perched happily (I think) in the same spot as I heard they don't take to transplanting well. It blooms heavier every year & I've had no pest problems yet. I would probably get better bloom & fragrance if I planted it in more sun, but I'm afraid to move it. My V. Carlesii is doing better here in So... read more

On May 12, 2010, Crum from Acton, ME wrote:

There have been 2 Koreanspice Viburnum bushes growing roadside in front of my house since my family moved here to Maine in 1966. They are 7 feet tall or so and are my favorites of the yard. Smell wonderful, they are hardy, and the butterflies they attract are way cool. Apparently they grow well as far north as Maine. They stand up well to snow plow trucks also.

On Jan 20, 2006, Browndog from Richmond, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

A delight to my landscape. Blooms in early April here in Virginia, the fragrance is marvelous and the blooms are gorgeous.

On Jan 16, 2006, ViburnumValley from Scott County, KY (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is the only clone of V. carlesii I am currently growing. It seems to be a compact grower here, though still gets leaf spot in KY's hot humid summers. I have one larger plant that began as a B&B plant, but it smells so good in flower that I planted 10 new smaller bare root plants.

For KY, the rest of the related fragrant hybrid viburnums will be better performers.