Rose Daphne, Garland Flower, Rock Daphne
Daphne cneorum 'Ruby Glow'

Family: Thymelaeaceae
Genus: Daphne (DAF-nee) (Info)
Species: cneorum (suh-NOR-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Ruby Glow

Alpines and Rock Gardens

Sandy, Oregon

Springfield, Oregon

Norristown, Pennsylvania

Vancouver, Washington

On Jun 18, 2009, lovesdaphne from Springfield, OR wrote:

I did a lot of reading on this plant, after I purchased one and then watched it die. I made sure it had partial sun exposure, good soil drainage and I surrounded it with some of the red lava rock I have lining my garden walkway. I actually packed the lava rock around it over the winter. I'm not sure if that helped it survive the cold, but it did survive. Bloomed in early spring and looks really healthy at the moment. I am having quite a difficult time finding any nurseries around here who sell it. I did buy this one a couple years ago at a local nursery but they have since decided not to carry it, probably due to it's finicky nature. I can't believe I paid as much as I did for this plant! I would like to know if I can use the plant I have to propagate more. I'm not quite sure wha... read more

On Jun 10, 2008, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This plant is so beautiful and well behaved. I have 8 and they are evergreen, reliable growers and will bloom for 6 to 8 weeks. Often they will rebloom in fall. The scent is wonderful. I have read that even 20 year old ones are subject to "Mystery Death". Unfortunately right now they are not readily available. I want 8 more, but the only source that I've found wants almost 3 times what I paid for the last ones, which I purchased over the last 3 years. I've seen photos of them growing six feet across, but my 3 years olds are about 2 feet wide.

On Nov 24, 2004, Todd_Boland from St. John's, NL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Ruby Glow is the deepest pink-flowered version of Rose Daphne. If you purchase just the straight species, you are probably getting the cultivar 'Eximia' which has light pink flowers. Highly fragrant and one of the most available daphne.