PlantFiles: American Wisteria
Wisteria frutescens 'Aunt Dee'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Wisteria (wis-TEER-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: frutescens (froo-TESS-enz) (Info)
Cultivar: Aunt Dee

Synonym:Wisteria frutescens var. macrostachya
Synonym:Wisteria macrostachya

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Violet/Lavender
Purple

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By Equilibrium

Thumbnail #3 of Wisteria frutescens by crazy4brugs

By crazy4brugs
Thumbnail #4 of Wisteria frutescens by crazy4brugs

Positive honeysuckle2000 On May 28, 2012, honeysuckle2000 from Cary, IL wrote:

It flowered the third year after being planted. sure it attracts me and bees. wonderful fragrance, but the color of the flower mingles with the leaves , not to be see from distance. bloomed in may. not yet aggressive.

Positive tauberp On Jan 4, 2012, tauberp from Aurora, IL wrote:

Incredible plant. Here in my heavy clay soil in zone 5b, looks almost dead until May, then within 2 weeks is the most lush and beautiful green plant one can think of. We had it for 4 years now, it is on an umbrella trellis and the perfect plant for it. Blooms, although mostly on the side opposite my patio, so my neighbors get to enjoy it more than we do. Did bloom 3 times last year, though, and is a reliable re-bloomer. It is getting full sun, and one does need space for it. I found it's long roots under my forsythia plants. I would plant it again, the only slightly annoying thing is we had to cut it back 4 times last year to keep it in shape and not climb onto our arborvitae next to it.

Neutral grik On Jun 9, 2008, grik from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

This plant is acting like a bit of a thug in my St. Paul, MN Zone 4 garden. It seends out long runners into my yard. They sneak all over. It blooms every year. I have lost my excitement for it so I'm not sure I'd plant it again. If you plant this just remember it needs to be slapped down every once in awhile.

Positive ntelya On Jun 1, 2005, ntelya from Lakeville, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

It has reliably come back for seven years in my zone 4a garden. Have had trouble getting it to bloom fully, though recently disturbed the root area which probably accounts for it. During the first four years, I had very few blooms. While in its fifth year I returned from England - bemoaning how my wisteria doesn't bloom like the ones I saw there - and had an arbor full of gorgeous blooms (20+). Sixth year also had marvelous blooms. Growth extends to 20 feet, and foliage is somewhat dense. Needs very strong support, this is a heavy, woody vine. Plant gets mostly full sun, some shade in afternoon. General site is HEAVY clay, though it has been highly amended.

Aurora, Illinois