PlantFiles: Echeveria
Echeveria 'Afterglow'

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Echeveria (ech-eh-VER-ee-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Afterglow

Thumbnail #5 of Echeveria  by Kell

Thumbnail #6 of Echeveria  by Kell

Thumbnail #7 of Echeveria  by Kell

Positive BayAreaTropics On Sep 21, 2012, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

Incredibly beautiful Echeveria..I think most beautiful of them all. Thrives in the SF bay areas mild climate,cool summers. Mine had done great in a container I had kept in my driveway...but I did notice..always just two plants,that got larger..so,I moved it away for some reason to a fenced in area..pups!. This plant for city gardeners will be picked clean of pups,suckers by the public.
No special care..watch for slugs..but I've seen much worse slug and snail magnets then this plant. A stunning plant in all ways..even the flowers and stalks are showy.

Positive thistlesifter On Oct 6, 2010, thistlesifter from Vista, CA wrote:

For years this plant has been a difficult and time consuming echeveria hybrid due to its attractiveness to sucking insects. Also, we used to use regular tap water...highly alkaline with ph between 8 and 8.5 at times. We now add vinegar to lower ph to 6.5 to 5.5. The plant has no difficulty with the roots and it thrives.

With the advent of Imidacloprid, (Merit) the insect as all but disappeared. Even the gnats don't bother the flowers.

Great plant now! flowers from May through the Fall.

Positive cyngart On Apr 17, 2008, cyngart from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

I at first didn't understand that the growth habit of this plant is upright leaves. When I bought it they were all downward facing, which was very pretty. I see by looking at photos though that the leaves all face upward as mine are doing now. Lovely. It's growing outside in a pot near yellow and orange kalanchoes and geraniums. About 3 hours of morning sun, then light shade the rest of the day.

Negative dieter67 On Apr 13, 2006, dieter67 from Henderson, NV (Zone 10a) wrote:

I've had several of this type in well-drained potted soil. I had to dig them all up last night because although they flourished well, even when moved from Los Angeles to Henderson, NV in 120F weather, I allowed some sort of infestation to occur....probably a combo of scale type bug/disease, and good old mealy bugs. Treated first with insectical soap, switched to "hard stuff." no improvement. Worried so much about all my other plants....all succullents

Neutral lmelling On Jan 26, 2005, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

Large hybrid. When growing indoors, has a preference for morning light, then bright light throughout the day. Give plenty of water during times of growth, but soil must be well drained. They will rot if kept too wet.

Bonsall, California