Devil's Beggartick
Bidens frondosa

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Bidens (BY-denz) (Info)
Species: frondosa (frond-OH-suh) (Info)

Not Applicable

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Clermont, Kentucky

Millersburg, Pennsylvania

Portage, Pennsylvania

positive

On Sep 26, 2014, Aerowox from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

In June, what I thought was a wild tomato plant became 4 feet tall by September. My husband and I were amazed by it's beautiful foliage and full shape. It is the most magnificent plant in our garden. At first, we didn't know what this plant was. Before the numerous yellow flowers showed up, friends thought it was marijuana. An internet image web search found that my plant, Bidens Frondosa, also known as Beggar-tick, is a very common native to Minnesota. It grows everywhere in the United States except Montana and Hawaii. The wind breaks the soft red branches once in a while. It's too bad that this plant is an annual, but I will save some seeds and plant more next year.

On Jul 25, 2010, turttle from Chapel Hill, NC wrote:

Huge negative. Pernicious invasive weed with only one redeeming feature that I can see. It is native, and it claims to attract butterflies, must be a larval food source, but not worth it. It is all over my yard and I can't get rid of it. Poky, spiny seeds. Don't let it get a foot hold in your yard!

On Jan 9, 2007, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Devil's Beggartick Bidens frondosa is Native to Texas and other States.

On Jul 6, 2005, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

Can I put double or triple negative?! This is an awful awful nasty plant. Unshowy yellowish flowers and these leaves as in picture. It pops up everywhere as a weed. Very hard to (even though hand pulling is easy) to eradicate. Prefers richer soil (like your garden/vegetable soil!) in part sun. It has the NASTIEST seeds.... I've ever seen etc. They are "sticked" with pointed on the end and stick to you whenever you walk by. They stick to pets as well. My dog comes in with hundred on him. Maybe that's why they are called "ticks"? - Devil's - beggartick is avery apt name.