PlantFiles: Oakleaf Hydrangea
Hydrangea quercifolia 'Amethyst'

Family: Hydrangeaceae (hy-drain-jee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hydrangea (hy-DRAIN-juh) (Info)
Species: quercifolia (kwer-se-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Amethyst

» View all varieties of Hydrangeas

Scarlet (Dark Red)
Cream/Tan

Burgundy
Bronze-Green
Good Fall Color

Flowers are good for drying and preserving

Positive quasymoto On Jun 15, 2008, quasymoto from Bloomfield, IA (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have had trouble at times in the past with Hydrangeas not wanting to take off here. I'd buy, plant, and then watch them die.
But in recent years as we have now been here for 11 years and greatly improved soil quality and I have done a lot of trial and error learning, and they are now growing in my landscape. But with this Hydrangea (And Pinky Winky) I received them from Ebay and they were not in the best of condition. One Amethyst was just sickly looking and I was sure it wouldn't make it and the other one was broke on the main stem below where any branches were so I too was sure it was going to die. I BABIED these big time. With my husband wondering why I was tending to my two dead sticks.
This year they did not disappoint me. I have the one that was sickly with nice "Oak" leafs and my stick has sprouted. I am not worried about blooming and won't even worry for another year or so. These little buggers are worth the money, time, and patients, as they are truly survivors. Next time tho... I'll invest more money to get older stock.
Quasy...

Positive lmelling On Dec 5, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

In "Hydrangeas for American Gardens," by Michael A. Dirr (2004), it says that this is a smaller statured and more compact shrub to 6' high by 6' wide. Flowers average 6 inches in length, sepals cream-white, turning wine-red and holding the color when dry. Flowers are held upright and similar to 'Snow Queen'. Fall color is red to reddish purple. Selection by Michael A. Dirr.

Bloomfield, Iowa