Canary Creeper, Canary Bird Vine
Tropaeolum peregrinum

Family: Tropaeolaceae
Genus: Tropaeolum (tro-PEE-oh-lum) (Info)
Species: peregrinum (per-uh-GREE-num) (Info)

Arroyo Grande, California

Florence, Oregon

Lake Stevens, Washington

Olympia, Washington

On Jul 7, 2014, BonnieGardens from Clermont, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Havbe had this plant for over a year and no blooms but I think its because it's in too much shade. I'll move it into a more sunny location for part of the day and see if that helps. Vine is about 5 feet long now.

On Jun 30, 2009, lehua_mc from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is an incredibly petite little vine, I let the close ups fool me. I have put it where I expected it to be a larger mass, and am contenting myself to a fine filigree of dainty foliage speckled with exquisite yellow flowers. Use this as a part of a composition, and where you can appreciate it in close quarters. City dwellers? Condo balconies? Kitchen window box?

On Jun 25, 2004, punaheledp from Kailua, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

The seeds I planted started well, but only one plant flowered and then they all shriveled up and died within a couple of months. I have another type of nasturtium in the same area that does well, so I don't know why the canary creepers didn't make it.. I will try again as I liked the different leaf shape and how it flowered.

On Mar 17, 2004, eje from San Francisco, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

A nice climber with amusingly shaped flowers. Climbs by wrapping its leaf petiole (stem) around any available support. Winter sown it's nice to grow it up through a deciduous bush to provide spring interest. It seems, however that the young roots are some sort of slug delicacy. Direct seeded quite a few of them, and most ended up plopping over shortly after germination. The roots were completely gone and some very happy slugs were curled up nearby. Once they get a bit larger, the slugs seem to lose interest.

On Jun 8, 2003, ppowers from Owasso, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Planted the seed on June 1st and plants were up on June 5th, currently about 3 inches tall and growing. So far so good. Zone 7

On Sep 12, 2002, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

Tropaeolum peregrinum grows well in our moist cool climate. I start mine indoors at least three weeks before setting them out in order to get earlier blooms in our short season. They are agressive climbers and fill in nicely.

On Aug 10, 2001, Evert from Helsinki
Finland (Zone 4b) wrote:

This is very easy to grow annual vine. It grows well here in Finland too, so it can be grown as annual in zones 2-8. In zones 9-11 it is perennial.