Superb Pink
Dianthus 'Rainbow Loveliness'

Family: Caryophyllaceae (kar-ree-oh-fil-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dianthus (dy-AN-thus) (Info)
Cultivar: Rainbow Loveliness

Violet/Lavender

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Seward, Alaska

Mount Enterprise, Texas

Leesburg, Virginia

Spokane, Washington

On May 26, 2008, straea from Somerville, MA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I love dianthus and this one is tops for me. It bloomed nearly continuously last year despite heat, humidity, strong winds, dry soil, and occasional severe storms. I didn't deadhead it (I wanted to save seeds to pass along to friends) and still it bloomed with vigor. This year I'm growing more of them that I've scattered around my hot, windy, sloped garden and they are all doing well so far. No wonder Allwood was the king of dianthus breeding.

On May 23, 2008, zville123 from Zanesville, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Evergreen here. Smells different than other pinks...more sweet & flowery than like cloves. Smell is better when lime is added. Also, it's better to group plants. Gets better every year. If deadheaded, blooms for a long time. Will always be in my garden.

On May 23, 2005, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

My raingow loveliness mix seemed to contain alot of whites.... Dianthus superbus is a great easy care plant for the front of the border.... It is nice to plant where you can enjoy its fragrance.... plants are low to the ground and fragrance is not so strong that it is a strong wafter.... however if you plant en masse you can smell them from a few feet away.... very different fragrance from most dianthus. Not spicy or clovey hardly at all.... powder and perfumery with a lily of the valley note in the background.... smells like a women's perfume.... the blossoms are lovely "frilled" and large compared to some dianthus about silver dollar size around.... Very nice and easy care (in well drained soil) Highly recommended!

On Jul 11, 2004, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

Rainbow Loveliness was somewhere before the second world war cultivated by the famous Dianthus grower Allwood. Rainbow came from a cross between the classical and wonderfull scented D. Sweet Wivelsfield and Dianthus superbus. Rosemary Verey (1919 2001) tells in her book The Scented Garden "..To me, the ultimate in perfection in garden scents is D. 'Loveliness'..".
I have Rainbow loveliness in my garden too and it's blooming in very pale shades of pink and white. It has truly a lovely scent. When I go out I sometimes put one flower under the button of my coat or blouse and its scent, though the flower has faded, is with me whole day.
I also love her greygreen foliage.

On Aug 30, 2002, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

Though I find the name a bit fussy, the plant is impressive. This dianthus never fails to winter over in our quirky Southcentral Alaskan climate. The shaggy petals of the blooms look best in groupings, and they are an interesting change of texture around other, larger blooms, such as lilies, that tend to bloom at the same time.

On Mar 12, 2002, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

Superb pink has narrow mid-green leaves forming an evergreen mat 8-inches wide and up to 18 inches tall. Lilac-pink flowers with deeply fringed petals are produced in mid-summer. The sweet fragrance makes them an excellent choice for cutting.

'Rainbow Loveliness' is a mix of reds, pinks, white and lavender many with contrasting eyes.