PlantFiles: Sea Rosemary, Sea Lavender

Synonym:Heliotropium gnaphalodes
Synonym:Mallotonia gnaphalodes
Synonym:Messerschmidia gnaphalodes
Synonym:Tournefortia gnaphalodes

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Rose/Mauve

Thumbnail #6 of Argusia gnaphalodes by NativePlantFan9

By Interlude
Thumbnail #7 of Argusia gnaphalodes by Interlude

Positive bob2ollie On Aug 1, 2011, bob2ollie from Bayshore Gardens, FL wrote:

Sea Lavender is and endangered seaside plant native to Florida. I came upon my two specimens at a nursery. It is no longer being offered. I am currently collecting seeds and will try to propogate new plants; many have dropped to the ground, so I anticipate seedlings. This is one of the most interesting plants in my small zone 9b garden. I will also try softwood cuttings...not ready to cut into this lovely plant just yet!

Positive ginnouhl On Feb 5, 2011, ginnouhl from Islamorada, FL wrote:

we have grown 3 small nursery-bought plants on our ocean beach in the Florida Keys for two years. They are now large - 4-5 feet tall, 6-8 feet wide and doing well but the oldest, tallest branches are dry and look finished. I'd like to prune them as I would ordinarily with a perennial to keep it healthy but don't want to harm it..any thoughts?

Positive Tetrazygia On Jul 8, 2008, Tetrazygia from Miami, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

It's supposedly hard to propagate, but I had luck sticking two tip cuttings into consistently moist, sandy soil in partial sun (morning 'till noon) in May. Six weeks later, they started to root. I only mention it because it's so uncommon to see these on the coastal dunes where they used to be up the East coast of Florida (up to Brevard County, I think) and I only ever see them in the Keys. It would be nice if people could propagate it and grow this state endangered beauty up the coast again.

Positive NativePlantFan9 On Mar 2, 2005, NativePlantFan9 from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

This is an evergreen, rosemary-like shrub that can grow up to 8 or 10 feet tall and appear even somewhat tree-like in appearance. It is native to beach dunes, coastal grassland, coastal scrub and coastal strand from central Florida south through the Keys (zones 9a through 11). It is also found in the Bahamas, Caribbean, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

The flowers are small, and are pink or rose-mauve or white.

Due to habitat destruction and development of coastal habitats, this native plant, which is drought and highly salt-tolerant and useful for wildlife, is sadly listed as endangered by the state of Florida. It is difficult to propagate and is rarely available, except by experienced, rare native plant growers.

It is highly salt-tolerant and very useful for seaside locations. The small flowers attract pollinating insects.

Synonyms are Heliotropium gnaphalodes L., Mallotonia gnaphalodes (L.)Britton, Messerschmidia gnaphalodes (L.)I.M.Johnst. and Tournefortia gnaphalodes (L.)R.Br. ex Roem. & Schult.

Big Pine Key, Florida