PlantFiles: Apple
Malus 'Pitmaston Pineapple'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Malus (MAY-lus) (Info)
Cultivar: Pitmaston Pineapple
Additional cultivar information: (aka Pitmaston Pine)

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Pollination:
Diploid

Rootstock Vigor:

Bearing Habit:

Fruit Usage:

By grafting

Positive velvetguru On Sep 25, 2013, velvetguru from Tulsa, OK wrote:

I planted this tree 7 years ago in southeastern OK (zone 7b). The tree is on a M111 rootstock. This tree has been doing very well, I haven't had any problems with cedar apple rust (which is a problem for me will all the nearby junipers), scab or fireblight. We have long hot summers here (many days over 100 degrees), and I've never had any fruit drop or mealy, soft apples. The tree began producing fruit the third year after I planted it. It's crop has increased each year since. It's hard to find a tree that will do well with our heat, storms, insects and diseases, but this is one of the most trouble free varieties I have in my garden. It's also one of the better tasting apples. It is a small apple but the taste is sweet, a little complex and interesting, and it's fairly juicy. If you live in this part of the country I think it's one of your better bets for an apple.

Positive daedelus902 On Jun 17, 2008, daedelus902 from Charlotte, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Tough, great old russet. Will pollinate with Winter Banana Apple and/or Golden Delicious.

Neutral Big_Red On Dec 13, 2004, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Also known as Pitmaston Pine.

A small but wonderful old russet apple which arose in England around 1785. Long appreciated as a very fine dessert apple. It is somewhat conical-shaped with a rich yellow color overlaid with a fine tawny russet. The creamy-yellow flesh is tender and juicy with a rich, sugary flavor. Ripens in mid-September

Mocksville, North Carolina