Dwarf Ylang-Ylang Tree
Cananga odorata var. fruticosa

Family: Annonaceae
Genus: Cananga (kan-AN-guh) (Info)
Species: odorata var. fruticosa

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Pale Yellow

Chartreuse (Yellow-Green)

Blooms all year

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Van Nuys, California

Boca Raton, Florida

Key West, Florida

Orlando, Florida (2 reports)

Pompano Beach, Florida

Bay City, Texas

On Jul 2, 2012, thebeautifuleyes from stone town zanzibar
Tanzania wrote:

Hi All,
I work and live in stone town zanzibar yes the vacation island, I got a ylang ylang plant 2 years ago from 10 cm high. I grow it in a pot in the house until now it becomes 120cm nice green no flowers yet. Because I live in a other house the plant went outside on a balcony in the wind and sun what happens almost half of the leaves become black. What most I do new bigger pot no fertilizer here so what to do please help do not want to loose the plant.

On Jan 25, 2011, daddysgirl1800 from Lake City, TN wrote:

I have had my ylang Ylang tree now for 2 weeks and it is doing wonderful! I put it in the window to get full sun during the day, and only water when the soil gets dry. It is about 2 feet tall, and full of nice green leaves. I am in zone 7, so I hope it will keep doing as nicely as it is right now! I can't wait to see flowers come on it, and smell that wonderful fragrance. I think a humidifier may do nicely also, so I am purchasing one this week since they love high humidity conditions.

On May 3, 2010, SierraTigerLily from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Mine lost most of its leaves during the two cold snaps this winter, but it's fully leafed out now, two months later.

On Sep 4, 2007, pongsak from Chiang Mai
Thailand (Zone 11) wrote:

Before sunset, the flowers of this plant which have already turned yellow are very fragrant. During the day, the fragrance is quite mild.

On Jul 31, 2007, mantis212 from Roslyn, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

This my fourth growing season with my 1st one. It is about 3 1/2' tall and I have it in a 20 gl black nursery pot. Cananga fruiticosa's scent is subtle but if you have ever bought the pure extract of the Cananga Odorata you know how intoxicating it is.
This is my experience ....
I drag it out of the house in spring and It looks pretty raggedy. I give it a good rinse with the hose set it in the shade and slowly move into the sun over the course of spring. When the night time temps here in Long Island stay above 50 degrees I start feeding. May to June it flushes out with large lime green stems and leaves, fills out nicely. July and August at the ends of almost every stem it produces and endless stream of these sexy long yellow "strappy" 4-5 " long 4 petaled flowers. I have no... read more

On Jul 18, 2007, mind_84 from Bay City, TX wrote:

My 2-year old CO Fruticosa is about 2 ft. high and is always full of flowers. It gets at least 6 hrs of full sun. Just like clare_CA, I have yet to smell its 'fragrance'. It does have a scent, but it is *very* mild; it increases slightly when the flowers turn yellow.

On May 14, 2005, Clare_CA from (Zone 10b) wrote:

I have owned my Cananga odorata var fruticosa for a couple of years now. It was purchased from Natural Selections Exotics in Florida. Despite my best efforts, I have been unable to detect a fragrance from the flowers so far. The whole plant has a hearty musky smell, which becomes stronger when a leaf is crushed, but nothing like the Chanel No. 5 fragrance that it is known for. I have moved my tree to different growing conditions to see if the new environment will encourage scent from the flowers. It has just been moved from filtered sun to full sun.

Multilingual Multiscript Plant Name Database lists these Canangas:

Cananga latifolia (Hook. f. & Thomson) Finet & Gagnep.
Cananga odorata (Lam.) Hook. f. & Thomson A
Cananga odorata (Lam.) Hook... read more

On Dec 28, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I could find no listings for the dwarf var. fruticosa, so I am listing the information for Cananga odorata:
A handsome tropical tree reaching 80 feet in the wild. It has pendulous, rather brittle branches and large, glossy green leaves. The flowers are long, twisted, and drooping with greenish-yellow petals and a heavy perfume. The flowers appear mostly in fall in thick clusters at the leaf axils. They are followed by small greenish fruit. 'Ylang-Ylang' is this tree's Malasian name. The tree is widely grown in Hawaii for the perfume industry. Zones 11-12.