PlantFiles: Apple
Malus x domestica 'Wealthy'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Malus (MAY-lus) (Info)
Species: x domestica (doh-MESS-tik-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Wealthy

Culinary

By grafting

By Big_Red
Thumbnail #1 of Malus x domestica by Big_Red

Positive minnasnowtan On May 30, 2008, minnasnowtan from Braham, MN (Zone 3b) wrote:

I selected this apple tree because it didn't require another tree for cross-polination (I have a small yard) and because of its hardiness here in Minnesota.

I planted it in 2005. The tree is now about 4 1/2 feet tall. It has blossomed each year and produced 1 apple last year. It is covered in blooms this year.

A small animal started nibbling off the bark the first fall after I planted it, so I ringed it with chicken fence. This seemed to fix the problem until rabbits ate off everything that was above the snow line, and chicken fence, after a storm in March 2006. It bounced back and is doing better than I expected.

I am very pleased with this apple and recommend it to others, just make sure to protect it from wildlife.

Neutral Big_Red On Dec 15, 2004, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Originated in 1860 in Excelsior, Minnesota from the seeds of the Cherry Crab. Widely popular in the South due to its hardiness and early bearing abilities. When grown in colder areas it is a good keeper; otherwise considered a poor keeper. Skin is pale greenish-yellow with brilliant red striping. Ripens in August to September in most of the South but later in mountain areas

Braham, Minnesota