PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Druzba'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Druzba

Thumbnail #4 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by frankentrina

By gfetelya
Thumbnail #5 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by gfetelya

Positive tomatolarry On Feb 11, 2012, tomatolarry from Dalton, GA wrote:

I first tried these in 2011 and was glad that I did. These did well in zone 7 and produced lots of 6-8 oz. tomatoes. Will definitely try again.

Positive frankentrina On Jun 29, 2009, frankentrina from Lockhart, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I've never liked raw tomatoes, but I have to say these are delicious! We've tried them in fresh salads, on sandwiches...they are great. Sweet, not too acidic, and meaty...not bland and watery like what you typically get on a fast-food burger.

I'd also like to comment on the foliage, not only did our 2 plants grow into this huge rampant bush (they are caged with homemade livestock fencing cages, but still fill an area 5ft wide, 2ft deep and 5ft tall) but it has a wonderful fragrance as well. I like the odor of tomato plants, but the variety seems more pronounced and "herby"-smelling. After I had been messing with plants one day and came back in the house, my 9yr old son commented, saying my hands smelled good.

We are growing ours in a raised bed in our yet unfinished greenhouse...the walls are covered but the roof is still open so the plants recieve full sun, but are protected from the dry wind we get. Sandy soil amended with loamy topsoil and well-rotted grassfed cow manure. No chemical fertilizers.

We also have not seen any pests on the Druzba's. I've picked hornworms off my Rutger's, Armenian, Marglobe, Florina Greek pepper, and potato plants, have had squash bugs and ugly red bugs on the Rutger's and my son's Roma's, and some kind of round stink bugs on the Mr. Stripey tomatos (which I've pulled up and will not grow again) , and grasshoppers eating everything else, but have not had a single bug eating the Druzba.

Positive passiflora_pink On Jul 7, 2008, passiflora_pink from Shelby County, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Nice acid flavor.

Neutral SLO_Garden On Jul 5, 2008, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

I'm rather neutral on Druzba. For me, the production was good, but the flavor was nothing to write home about.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 3, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Another tomato with a DG connection: This Bulgarian (the name means friendship) heirloom was first offered to Seed Savers Exchange (still offers it) by Dr Carolyn Male. Thank you Carolyn!

Positive toni5735 On Aug 3, 2005, toni5735 from Chicago, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Bulgarian variety with fruit avg. 9 - 12 oz. Nice salad-type tomato with balanced sweet/tangy flavor. Short but bushy plant about 3 1/2ft. tall.

Neutral Big_Red On Dec 16, 2004, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

1/2 to 1 lb. blemish free fruit with "superb flavor." Excellent main cropper.

Pelham, Alabama