Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Thessaloniki'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Thessaloniki

Open-pollinated

Usage:

Fresh, slicing

Canning

Alternaria Stem Canker (ASC)

Leaf Type:

Espanola, New Mexico

Harrison, Ohio

North Sioux City, South Dakota

On Mar 31, 2014, leemiller38 from Stockton, CA wrote:

This is a very productive and tasty tomato. I grow lots of heirlooms, but not every one every year. However I do grow Thessaloniki every year because I know I will have lots of good tomatoes from this one. I think it is pretty outstanding in the red tomato category. I don't remember it cracking like some heirlooms do.

On Jul 29, 2013, Hildebrd from North Sioux City, SD wrote:

Expected baseball size orbs, but got elongated paste shaped (although that is what Sand Hill Preservation did describe - should have paid more attention). Just getting red at 8 weeks or so. Short plant.
It may well be fine, but not what i expected. Are there two strains of thessaloniki, a baseball and a paste?

On May 9, 2011, ODOD from Woodland Hills, CA wrote:

I grew four plants last year (2010) and they were the winner of all the varieties I grew for hardiness and taste.

Other varieties grown were Lemon Boy, Brandywine, Amish Paste, Rutgers, Early Girl, Better Boy, Pineapple, San Marzano, Sweet Millions, Yellow Pear, and a couple of others...

Everyone who tried them said they had the best flavor they'd ever had in a tomato.

I grow all organically and I think that helps. There were no pest problems at all. Generally clusters of 4 to 5 fruit about 6-8 oz each... Cooked up into delicious sauce, great for eating out of hand straight, no salt... at least that's what I heard. I don't like tomatoes raw!

On Aug 5, 2009, csgarden from Roanoke, VA wrote:

I was disappointed in this variety. It barely bloomed, has no fruit, and the plants didn't grow. At the same time, eight other varieties were heavily producing and looking great. I won't grow this variety again.

On Jan 14, 2009, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I was looking forward to this variety and I was let down. It did not do well in my hot/humid climate. The taste was ordinary and the size of the tomatoes was not impressive. Production was decent but overall, I am dissatisfied.

On Nov 12, 2008, sanpedro from Espanola, NM (Zone 6b) wrote:

2008 - vigorous production of smooth, deep-red tomatoes with a complex, earthy flavor

On Apr 1, 2007, bmuller from Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7a) wrote:

We grew this tomato last year for the first time. It did so well that we're starting it from seed again this year. The plant is hardy and the tomatoes prolific, tasty, and juicy.
'Thessaloniki' also has a tendency to "take over the universe" in a small back yard, but that's okay during tomato season!

On Mar 31, 2007, tomstrees from Keyport, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

Productive, heat tolerant, disease tolereant, & great taste.
A real winner for home or market gardeners.

On Dec 17, 2004, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

"Very early, perfect, uniform, medium red globes, non cracking with no blemishes. Extrodinary delicious tomato flavor. Add very, very good production."