PlantFiles: Jacob's Ladder
Euphorbia tithymaloides subsp. smallii

Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Euphorbia (yoo-FOR-bee-uh) (Info)
Species: tithymaloides subsp. smallii

Shiny/Glossy-Textured
Succulent
Rubbery-Textured

Provides winter interest

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

By Kiepersol
Thumbnail #1 of Euphorbia tithymaloides subsp. smallii by Kiepersol

Positive Lois81 On Feb 3, 2013, Lois81 from Mansfield, TX wrote:

I had this plant years ago and always enjoyed it. I lived in a condo so pot gardened on my patio. I have moved many times since then and must have given it away. I frequent a restaurant here in Mansfield by the name of Steven's Garden (it actually was originally a nursery.) The owner has many large containers full of what she calls Red Bird and I call Devil's Backbone. She gave me some starts late last summer. I rooted them in water and potted them after about a month. All five starts are in the same pot and doing very well. Since I live in an apartment with no patio mine will always be a house plant. I think it is time to move up a size on the pot. I have a question regarding the correct potting soil which is: should I use all purpose potting soil or the African Violet Potting Mix with continuous feed fertilizer in it that was sold to me at Lowe's? Any help with this is most welcome.

Positive MotherNature4 On Dec 22, 2004, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

In Florida, this plant will grow in hot, dry places where nothing else will grow, yet will survive our wet, humid summers. It is most colorful in the winter when the foliage changes from green and white to pink and bronze.

A euphorbia, one must be careful of the sap when pruning. It roots easily, yet is not invasive.

This is really a subspecies of Pedilanthus tithymaloides. It is native to south Florida.

Hidden Meadows, California