PlantFiles: Hot Pepper
Capsicum annuum 'Tarahumara Chiltepin'

Genus: Capsicum (KAP-sih-kum) (Info)
Species: annuum (AN-yoo-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Tarahumara Chiltepin

» View all varieties of Peppers

Heat (Pungency):
Extremely Hot (above 30,000 Scoville Units)

Fruit Shape:
Round

Fruit Size:
Small (under 2" in length)

Fruit Color:

Drying
Pickling

Late (more than 80 days)

Positive Ray152 On Jun 10, 2012, Ray152 from Houston, TX wrote:

I live in Houston, my wife was telling our Mexican gardener to tidy up our front yard. He told her that we had a chiltepin plant, but she told them to remove it, when I found out I told them to try potting it again, so I hope it can be saved. I made a soup tonight and used 10 of the chilis and they were fantastic. The plant is about 3 foot high and is loaded with chillis.

Positive GatoGordo On Jun 7, 2009, GatoGordo from Sierra Vista, AZ wrote:

Yes this pepper is very hot, but it has a very strong sweet chili flavor so you use it sparingly. As for cultivation: I know it to be cold hardy to at least 20 f. I have had the best luck with this plant when I do not prune it back until new growth appears in the spring. Some of my plants are over 8 years old! They die back in the late fall and start producing in mid July. The birds love them as much as I do and leave me with a few new volunteer plants ever year.

Neutral Farmerdill On Dec 20, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1/4 inch diameter pepper.

Sierra Vista, Arizona