Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Persimmon'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Persimmon

Regular Leaf

Mammoth Spring, Arkansas

Quartz Hill, California

Roseland, California

Danbury, Connecticut (2 reports)

Boston, Massachusetts

Shawnee, Oklahoma

Knoxville, Tennessee

Orange, Texas

On May 12, 2014, tomatochick from Danbury, CT wrote:

I grew this during the 2013 season in the Northeast. Stingy yield from this plant, but the fruit that was produced was absolutely DELICIOUS, so I'm rating it as a positive experience nonetheless.

I will definitely try growing it again - we had a cooler spring followed by a REALLY HOT summer, so perhaps the plant's production was "off" because of this. Some of my other varieties didn't do as well as they normally did, also, so I'm willing to give this cultivar another shot to see what happens.

On May 22, 2011, robinclark24 from Murfreesboro, TN wrote:

Loved 2010 crop. Great sandwich tomato. It kept producing almost to frost. Last bumper crop was ripened in cardboard box with layered newspaper...worked like a charm. I'm a new tomato gardener but this was my top cultivar last year, for sure.

On Apr 14, 2011, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Growing 2011 can't wait we love tomatoes of all colors at my house.

On Jan 21, 2009, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This variety produced good sized tomatoes but production didn't impress me. This variety has a decent taste but not real acidic. I made spaghetti sauce with some of them and had several compliments on the taste and the color.

On Apr 8, 2008, cowtrailrd from Shawnee, OK wrote:

this tomato produced large flavorful fruit in 2007. I picked the largest and saved seed for this year have had at least 80% come up. Will repost as to how well the new plants do. The plants I raised in 2008 did well and will continue to raise.

On Jan 25, 2008, paracelsus from Elmira, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have grown this tomato in a pot for two years now. It is true that the plant does not make a lot of tomatoes, but the ones it makes are large, and they are very tasty. They have a creamy, almost salty taste. They are wonderful on a sandwich and a beautiful color. Mine have not gotten orange but instead a golden yellow. I will definitely continue to grow this tomato.

On Jan 17, 2007, jenhillphoto from Danbury, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

Not the best tomato in my garden this year and not the worst. I am neutral on them. They seemed to get mushy on the vine and never get that orangish color in everyone elses pictures. Only got to yellow. So I started picking them earlier and let them ripen inside. The weather was weird for us, very rainy, so that could have contributed to things. I love the look of the yellow/orange tomato cut up and mixed with red tomatoes.

On Jul 27, 2006, blameitonkarma from Lancaster, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Extremely delicious, very large orange fruit. Very creamy texture, similar to Dr. Wyche's Yellow. Not a huge producer, but not stingy either. It's growing beautifully here in the hot, dry desert conditions in Lancaster, Ca. Summer days are always above 90 degrees, and very frequently above 100 with about 15% humidity.

It's a keeper!

On Jul 23, 2006, dlnevins from Omaha, NE wrote:

One of my favorite orange tomatoes. The plants are vigorous, and I've had minimal disease problems. The fruits are HUGE, very meaty, with a rich, sweet flavor - great for sandwiches. The only flaws are that the total yield of tomatoes per plant is a bit lower than most other varieties (although still quite acceptable), and the fruits mature late, so my Persimmon season is a short one. Given the fantastic flavor, I'm more than willing to put up with these shortcomings.

On Apr 7, 2005, Agrinerd from Franklin, NC (Zone 6b) wrote:

Bright persimmon orange fruit. Meaty, juicy, good flavored, but tough skinned. This was a plus in 2004 when wet weather in NC ruined most of the tomatoes in the area. The foliage was taken out by the late blight that hit everything here, but the thick skinned fruit resisted cracking and disease lesions. These were the only fruit I had left after the rains.

On Dec 23, 2004, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Bright "persimmon" colored fruits grow 1-2 lbs., some with lime shoulders. Very meaty with few seeds, plants produce abundantly.