Tomato 'Black Sea Man'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Black Sea Man

Liberty Hill, Texas

Pasadena, Texas

Kirkland, Washington

On Jun 29, 2013, Grimmiles from Woodland Park, CO wrote:

My plantings are atypical. I live up in the Rockies and I grow these in my garage under 4' 6-tube T5 lights, in self watering containers. I planted these late winter and have harvested some beauties since the start of June. (Now I've got my outdoor plants going)
They are not a prolific producer but, they produce an acceptable amount of fruit. These tomatoes are meaty, with a rich, meaty flavor. They are good slicers and cook well. I dice and freeze them to preserve for cooking and they retain their flavor through the freezing process well.

On Apr 23, 2011, Caedi25 from Kirkland, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Tried Black Sea Man on a tip from TexasTam last year and was thrilled with the results. Bought seed from Totally Tomatoes (also on a tip from Tam) and had a 100% germination rate. Produced big hearty plants which, in turn, produced a ton of big, luscious tomatoes - no disease, no blossom end rot. Downside - Totally Tomatoes was out of Blk Sea Man seed this year. Upside - going to take a shot at the parent, Black Krim. We'll see.

On Aug 5, 2009, jjpm74 from Stratford, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

A determinate potato leaf bushing variety of Black Krim. The tomatoes are similar in size and texture to Black Krim, but on smaller plants that seem to do well in raised beds and border areas. The plants themselves yield a moderate amount of tomatoes. This year, which has been very mild and rainy, I have not gotten many tomatoes on my other plants, yet this particular variety seems to be thriving. Grew from seed started indoors under florescent lights with a 95% germination rate.

On Sep 1, 2008, plantaholic186 from Winnetka, IL wrote:

I planted three 'Black Sea Man' out, and all three are potato leaf form.
The tomatos.....ah, the tomatos. Mine taste wonderful, and the texture is buttery and smooth. Unlike any tomato I have ever had before. It will always be in my veg garden!

On Jul 27, 2008, dorisv from Oakland, CA wrote:

This is my first year growing this variety. It is a beautiful, vigorous plant with a lot of fruit set despite the fluctuating weather in my part of the Bay Area. The last fruit set is turning out with about 75% blossom end rot, but the first set is perfect. I am using a large planter box as I have no usable in ground area for vegetables. The first harvested Black Sea Man was just ok...a bit mealy. Hoping the others will be better.

On Mar 10, 2007, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Black Sea Man is potato leaf, and should be maintained as such by the seed saver. Regular leaf form would indicate a possible cross.

Avg flavor in my garden.

On Mar 3, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Small plants with medium-sized deep brown fruits, rich flavor. Looks incredibly odd when blanched and peeled, revealing skeleton-like veins under the skin. Potato leaf, but determinate. 75 days from transplant.

On Dec 25, 2004, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Not a true black, but very interesting tomato. Fruits are pinkish gray with olive green shading. Fat plumish shape and weigh 6-8 oz. Taste is bright, earthy, and spicy. You may get either potato or regular leaf.