Coleus, Flame Nettle, Painted Nettle
Solenostemon scutellarioides

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Solenostemon (sol-en-oh-STEM-on) (Info)
Species: scutellarioides (skew-tell-ar-ee-OH-ih-deez) (Info)
Synonym:Coleus blumei
Synonym:Coleus scutellarioides

USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)

USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)

USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Partial to Full Shade

Lonoke, Arkansas

Bakersfield, California

Beverly Hills, California

Eureka, California

Los Angeles, California (2 reports)

Santa Rosa, California

Ilwaco, Washington

Puyallup, Washington

Spokane, Washington

On Nov 23, 2014, emptyeyes from Lakeview, OH wrote:

I currently have 7 Coleus plants growing in the house, they are all doing well, and I water them when the top layer of soil looks dry. I have them all under the flourescent lamp since it was so cold at the picture window. The colors are very bright and they are doing fine. I recommend this plant to anyone who thinks they have a black thumb, it is easy to grow, I have grown all these from seed and it was surprisly easy. This is my comment about a plant that I love!

On Oct 15, 2007, twohawk from Blanco, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant is very happy in my zone, 9a. I have easily rooted
cuttings in water, and in soil, with rooting hormone. My
first plant is over 4ft tall, and 4ft wide.

On Sep 2, 2007, Samanatee from Athens, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I purchased several varieties of coleus that were about 8" tall and planted them in clusters in small plastic pots, having no idea how much they would grow. They are about three feet tall now and absolutely beautiful. I've mixed them with salvia, which is an attractive combination. I plan to separate and replant the coleus soon and bring them inside for the winter, since I live in Zone 7b. They do require heavy watering here, but are worth the effort, since the leaves provide rich, continuous color.

On Apr 27, 2007, JanCile from Panama City, FL wrote:

These plants are wonderful! They don't have blooms but the foilage they produce are always a surprise. My Mama always had them, she called them "Joseph Coats" because their colors were so varied. They are great for containers inside and when put in a bed outside, they put on quite a show. I like to have them in pots so that I can move them around. I live in the Florida Panhandle so I can pretty much have them all year.When I do plant them outside, if the temp. drops below 45 for very long I cover them but the sunlight the next day is all they need. No two are exactly alike. That is their beauty. You can start them by seed in a couple of weeks or pinch a leaf with enough stem to stick in a pot of soil and give it a several days and you've got a Coleus.

On Jan 23, 2007, Sparisi1122 from Gloucester, MA wrote:

I loves these plants. They are realy pretty. I also hear some people get high off them. Weird huh?

On Oct 25, 2006, Fleurs from Columbia, SC wrote:

I'm embarrassed to admit that before this year I've thought Coleus were somewhat plebeian shade plants. After visiting some wonderful gardens this Summer, I see how perfect Coleus are for weaving color echoes, transforming plant combinations from humdrum to incredible. Some cultivars are amazingly sun tolerant, even in my hot Southeastern Zone 8 garden. Easily overwintered indoors, Coleus are a snap to propagate.

On May 25, 2004, Docgreenthumb from Creston, IA wrote:

I love this plant. It is incredibly easy to care for and look amazing. If the plant gets too tall and spindly, jut pinch it back about 6-8 inches, pinch off the bottom leaves and stick it in water. In about 2-4 weeks it will have enough roots on it to be planted back into the soil. This plant is great for wintering over, just by propagating it as such.

--Docgreenthumb

On Nov 20, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

Another beautiful plant I've seen all my life, but I only started growing them a few years ago. They look good in large plastic containers that will hold water longer than clay pots, and I especially like to grow them with colorful, ornamental sweet potato vines hanging out of the pots, either the purple-black or chartreuse colored ones, depending on which color contrasts better with the colors of the coleus. The sweet potato vines will have to be trimmed back frequently, but the trimmings can be rooted in water.

Coleus can be grown permanently in the ground in the Tropical South, zones 9b and higher, as they are a tropical perennial. I've read that the more red pigment in the plant, the more sun tolerant it is, but most like filtered shade. They can be cut back by a t... read more

On Nov 19, 2003, mrsmitty from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

The small oak leafed varieties tend to overwinter better and don't send out flower spikes as often. This kind also works well as a hanging basket variety.

On Aug 22, 2003, cynthiac from Watauga, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Great plant, and the colors are striking. I'm growing it with Persian Shield; they both get the same part shade, fertilizer, watering, and easy care.
Both plants were started from cuttings last year, this year they are HUGE! Very easy to care for and insects have never bothered mine at all.
I bring mine in for the winter. Then cut them back before they go back outside.

On Jul 2, 2003, dejavu from Rochester, NY wrote:

Started a colorful variety from seed and planted them under a bush and near a big tree. They provide a spectacular burst of bright color in the shade! I wish they were perennial.

On Apr 26, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

The colors are pretty, and vary from coral to white, through red, purple and pink. It grows and reproduce easily. If you are only interested in the foliage, itīd be necessary to watch over for flowers. Remove the young inflorescence, because blooming redirects the plantīs energy from leaves to flowers, so the leaves become small and the plant loses its form.

On Apr 17, 2003, molli66 wrote:

The plants leaves (foliage) is used as a drug (brewed as tea). Be aware of this if you have children that may eat parts of plants. Keep out of reach !

On Apr 3, 2003, icetv wrote:

Buying established 1-2 ft plants was key. Mine over grew it's welcome in a hanging plant. I planted it in the landscaping and it grew almost 4 foot high and 3 foot in diameter. Was definately awesome to see.