Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Matt's Wild Cherry'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Matt's Wild Cherry

Syracuse, New York

Dallas, Oregon

Hemingway, South Carolina

Sumter, South Carolina

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Cedar Creek, Texas

Lipan, Texas

Paige, Texas

Windsor, Vermont

Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

On Oct 25, 2014, CrowMeris from Greene, NY wrote:

A very small, intensely sweet tomato that's produced on clusters of five to nine little gems. The fruit ripens unevenly on the clusters. It grows well in pots and in the garden. I've found it resistant - heck, invulnerable - to both early and late blight (YMMV).

It will self-seed prolifically, grow rampantly, and produce abundantly. It's always the first tomato to give fruit in the spring and the last to give up the ghost in the fall.

Staking or trellising is a must unless you want to stem layer for extra plants (it responds very well to this treatment).

Its only fault is that unless the fruit is 100% absolutely and completely ripe, the sepals will come off with the fruit or the skin may peel. Personally, I don't find it a problem, but it could ... read more

On May 30, 2014, rosepetal2 from Danvers, MA wrote:

After reading the rave reviews on this tiny tomato, I started several from seed and ultimately planted 3-Matt's Wild Cherry in a 4x4 raised bed along with 1-Jelly Bean grape tomato and 1-Yellow Pear tomato. I grow all my tomatoes single stem so it ought to be interesting to see Matt's Wild Cherry as a single stem. Because it is so prolific and somewhat invasive, I felt single stem may be the way to go.

My other 10-heirloom tomatoes are single stemmed in a 2x16 raised bed w/Blue Lake green beans in towers on each end.

I'll update my post as the 2014 season progresses.

On Sep 14, 2012, riceke from Snellville, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Grew about 8' or more with tons of tiny fruits. Good taste. They won't come off the vine easily until really ripe. But a little too small for me. Seemed like it took awhile to pick a cup full.

On Aug 4, 2011, SharonLorraine from Little Canada, MN wrote:

Prolific small tasty tomatoes which when collected never even make it into the kitchen before they are consumed! I grow in deep earth-friendly pots and need to stake this one a lot.

On Feb 17, 2011, Meyesa wrote:

Best......tiny....little.......tomatoes.....EVER! I had people at the farmers market surprised with this one. I will definitely grow this every year.
Oh, and dry them, freeze them and add them to tomatoey dishes throughout the winter.

On Jun 3, 2010, betta5 from Gainesville, FL wrote:

I have 5 of these plants growing this year. There are literally hundreds of tomatoes on the plants. I am able to pick roughly half a cup of tomatoes each day to snack on. These are VERY yummy little tomatoes and are great in wraps or pasta. One of the plants is in the ground and it has sort of taken over and sprawls another foot or so each time it rains (not caged). They are much more manageable in containers but are a bit less prolific. If planted in a 4-5 gallon container you should still see a few hundred tomatoes per plant with appropriate fertilization. These plants are also very hot/cold hardy as long as adequate water / shelter is provided. For the containers this means using watering cones and adding play sand so that the water drips slowly from a 2 liter for 4 hours... 90 degree... read more

On Jan 20, 2010, valleylynn from Dallas, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a small cherry tomato packed with a big tomato flavor in my garden. Very vigorous grower, picture posted was taken in Aug. 2007, plant was 9 ft tall and filled a 4 x 8 raised bed. I had to keep pruning it to keep it from taking over neighboring raised beds. I like to eat them before they get completely red as I like tomatoes with some tang. They are very sweet when fully ripened. Not bothered by pests or disease, weather changes, etc. One tough plant. This plant was still going strong after freezes killed all the other varieties of tomatoes and peppers. I have not saved seed as I don't know how to keep them from cross polinating with the other tomatoes. Would love to know how to do that.

On Sep 15, 2009, disneynut1977 from Syracuse, NY wrote:

Did not care for the taste in the begining of the season, but as fall approached and that stupid rain stopped. These babies started to taste better. I loved the size of the fruit and the plants were very productive and huge. The Matt's had the worst spot in my tomato bed. 6 hrs of sun and right next to a small evergreen, but it still grew and produced. I think these would taste even better in a hotter climate or a spot that gets sun; sunup to sundown. No cracking at all. I won't try them again in the near future as I already have a list of other very small red cherries I would like to try. I still recommend them though.

1 note, for my counter ripened - vine ripened test. Matt's was exactly the same both ways in color and taste. I did not eat any in the orange-red stage, I ... read more

On Aug 9, 2009, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

Huge, spawling plants with TONS of tiny, sweet red cherry tomatoes. Early and very easy to grow.

On Jun 22, 2009, passiflora_pink from Shelby County, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Early bearing, tall lanky and branching. Prolific tart little fruits.

On Jan 28, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Good taste, small red cherries, extremely large plants. Easy to grow. Reseeded prolifically, though -- it's nearly impossible to keep up with picking all those small fruits.

On Aug 11, 2005, zeldonian from Haines Falls, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

So tasty, early and easy to grow. The long multi-branched plants are difficult to control, they are so vigorous, but if left to spread, the yield becomes quite large.

On Dec 27, 2004, winter_unfazed from Rural Webster County, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

Matt's Wild Cherry!
Indeed it is swell;
Delicious as ''heaven'',
Prolific as .........

On Dec 26, 2004, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Small red cherry that grows very tall.