Willow-leaved Cestrum

Cestrum parqui

Genus: Cestrum (SES-trum) (Info)
Species: parqui

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Zwolle, Louisiana

Bishopville, Maryland

Charlotte, North Carolina

Columbus, North Carolina

On Apr 26, 2011, NCMstGardener from Columbus, NC wrote:

This plant is marginally hardy and herbaceous here on the zone 7-8 border and reaches a height of about 5 feet each year after dying back over the winter. It really puts on a show with its long bloom time. It tends to run a bit but sharing it with friends enables me to keep it in its alloted space without a lot of effort. On the Texas gulf it is considered invasive. It is deadly toxic to horses so take care where you plant it.

On Nov 11, 2010, xaia from Kitchener

I recently purchased the seeds of this particular species of Cestrum from an online seed catalogue. The seeds arrived in excellent condition (approx. 60 seeds/packet). I planted a few in fast draining garden loam, and will be saving the rest to germinate in the spring. I have experience growing Cestrum nocturnum, so perhaps the growing conditions of parqui are similar. I will have to wait and see. I'm excited for them to germinate. I'll post pictures once they sprout, hopefully!!

I planted the seeds the day that I received them which was November 10th. THREE DAYS LATER as of today the 13th; they have germinated! I was expecting them to take 2-3 weeks if not longer!

On Sep 13, 2008, libeleule from Philadelphia, PA wrote:

Actually, I have no experience but I just got one at a horticultural society event. For positive comments, try Plant Delights Nursery.
For dire warnings, go to Wikipedia.

On Apr 29, 2008, GranvilleSouth from (Zone 10a) wrote:

This plant is bad news. Its toxic, it stinks, its invasive & it is ugly. Birds spread them. Here it is considered a weed & I would suggest the same attitude to anyone else. I just killed a monster one & they don't die easy. The tap root is deep & will come back from poisoning & pruning. You need to dig it out & get rid of every scrap or it will return.