Lamb's Ear, Common Betony 'Hummelo'

Stachys densiflora

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Stachys (STAK-iss) (Info)
Species: densiflora (den-see-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Hummelo
Synonym:Stachys monnieri

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Bentonville, Arkansas

Spokane, Washington

Stanwood, Washington

Waterloo, Wisconsin

On May 15, 2014, bobbieberecz from Concrete, WA wrote:

I wonder if huntniab had the old fashioned "lamb's ear" vs. this variety of stachys. The old lamb's ear could be hard to control but, except for the flowers, I would never guess this was a stachys. It is extremely well behaved and beautiful!! I usually associate the stachys plants with silver wooly foliage, but this variety has lush heavily textured, rich, deep green leaves. It makes a perfect 18-inch mound and bears reddish purple flowers over a very long period. The foliage lends a lovely rich green after the flowers are gone and keeps the garden fresh in the late season when everything else is faded and drying. Mine gets full sun in sandy loam soil with a highly nutritious mulch. It quickly filled out into an appreciable size its first year and is fuller than ever right now. I w... read more

On Mar 23, 2012, melvalena from Flower Mound, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant is a real trooper. I got it at a plant swap and was told to plant it in my shade beds under some huge Bradford pear trees. Shortly, after planting we had a really bad hail storm that took out one of the trees, and nearly every leaf on every plant in my yard., then record heat and drought conditions for months after that and these little babies just kept on keeping on. They never showed stress and bloomed right on time. In shade!

That was last season. So far this season they've more then doubled in width. I can already divide them to pass on or replant in other areas.

In shade they have stayed much shorter -- about 6- inches tall. I can't wait to see this second season.

On Nov 28, 2011, huntnlabs from Xenia, OH wrote:

I was given some cuttings to plant in new flower beds I made. The Lambs Ear took them over, crowding out my other perinnials after the 1st year. I pulled and dug them but any roots or pieces I missed would sprout. It's been 3 years now and I still have it coming up after trying to clean it all out. It's almost impossible to get rid of sans digging the beds up and replacing all the soil.

On Jul 11, 2011, BlueBlossoms from Bolingbrook, IL wrote:

I love this little flower/plant! Flowers are long-lasting and the plant has a nice, neat clumping habit. Adds a bright spot to a semi-shaded part of my home... mixed it in with hostas and such ~ it gets filtered morning sun and is very happy! :)

On Jun 28, 2008, Sashagirl from Davenport, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is such a wonderful, care free, attractive and long blooming Stachys! I can't say enough good things about it.
I highly favor it over the fuzzy leafed variety, mostly because it still looks gorgeous after rains, and the blooms are always clear and crisp looking.

I'm going to try winter-sowing some of these this winter from seed I collect.

On Jul 1, 2007, Gazania_in_pa from Renfrew, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Got this plant as a freebe last year. What a charmer it has turned out to be! I am going to order several to add to my gardens. It will fill the bill for that "spikey" form in the perennial border. Prettier and longer lasting than Liatris.

On Sep 11, 2006, KevinMc79 from Saint Charles, IL wrote:

This is a great all season perennial. Great rosettes of foliage in spring and late into fall and winter. Leaves the spent flower spikes for nice winter texture. This plant does enjoy a little moisture, and in drought years will thin out quickly without supplemental watering. Great combination with Salvia 'Wesuwe', Achillea 'Walther Funcke', and Geranium 'Jolly Bee.' Also makes a stunning combination in early spring with Echinacea 'Sunrise'.