Ornamental Mullein, Verbascum
Verbascum 'Caribbean Crush'

Family: Scrophulariaceae (skrof-yoo-larr-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Verbascum (ver-BASK-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Caribbean Crush

Mount Horeb, Wisconsin

positive
negative

On Jun 14, 2010, millieshndc from Erving, MA wrote:

I really have no experience with this plant put it looks beautiful in pictures. I did see there is a link here to a nursery that sells it although I found it being sold by Jung Seed for $8.95 if anyone is interested & they are a good company who have a guarantee - will replace or credit voucher (time limited w/in season).

On Jul 14, 2008, art_n_garden from Colorado Springs, CO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I hate to rate 'Caribbean Crush' negatively, but...

The flowers on my plant did not come out the interesting colors that are posted above (though those are beautiful!). Mine are a dull, brownish yellow and only open one at a time. They do NOT make a statement because of this.

Once the first bloom stalk was done flowering, I cut it off and it has sent up 4 more by mid summer. I hope maybe with four stalks it will make more of an impact, but so far it's not.

The foliage looks like a common Colorado weed, so overall I think it's not worth it.

On Jun 22, 2008, petunia109 from Harvest, AL wrote:

Are these pictures truly Verbascum Carribean Crush? They appear to be large singular flowers. I am researching a plant I've had for several years which was supposed to be the verbascum listed above. The second year it bloomed briefly but mostly puts out a lot of foliage. However, the foliage is not fuzzy or hairy. The leaves are elongated about 8 inches. I dug it up this spring and it had a HUGE taproot. I split that into four pieces and replanted. The four plants came up immediately and shot up to 5 feet. They put out excessive seeds along the top four or inches and then just kind of did nothing. I have cut them back this week and they are growing with no problems. I don't know what in the world I have but the second year the bloom did favor the nursery pictures of Carribean Crush.

On Feb 1, 2007, mt_horeb_garden from Mount Horeb, WI wrote:

I bought this plant for $1 in the fall of 2005 and it came up beautifully in the spring of 2006. For me, the color was just as it is pictured and it even rebloomed after I deadheaded it.

On May 31, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

For me the blooms were mostly a brownish color until they reached the top, and then they changed to yellowish. There was never a blend of bright colors as seen in the catalog photos; all the darker blooms were gone by the time the lighter ones opened.