Early, Large-flowered Clematis
Clematis 'Wada's Primrose'

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clematis (KLEM-uh-tiss) (Info)
Cultivar: Wada's Primrose
Additional cultivar information:(aka Manshuuki, Yellow Queen)
Hybridized by Wada

No fragrance

Bloom Shape:

Single

Bloom Diameter:

Large - 5 to 8 inches (12 to 20 cm)

Pruning Groups:

Group 1 - Spring bloomers; no pruning

Group 2 - Repeat bloomers; prune immediately after flowering

By simple layering

By air layering

By serpentine layering

By stooling or mound layering

Jamesburg, New Jersey

Charleston, South Carolina

Summerville, South Carolina

On Apr 6, 2008, DebinSC from Georgetown, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

As Scutler's did, mine sat, looking pretty sad for the 1st two seasons, then this March....Whammo! Large nearly pure white blossoms about 5-6" across. I haven't been able to detect any scent so far, but we haven't had any really warm days yet. Mine is in part sun, in a fairly damp area. So, even tho it was a slow starter, the bloom has made it worth the wait and I'm giving it a positive rating.

On Jun 20, 2007, Shirley1md from Ellicott City, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

A very slow Clematis to start flowering in my garden. It took 3-4 years before blooming. Perhaps, it would perform better in a cooler climate.

On May 24, 2006, tshutor from nanaimo

This plant (about 3 years old) is growing healthily and producing wonderful flowers in my garden on the east coast of Vancouver Island (Nanaimo is about 135 km north of Victoria).

In 2004, when we were in the process of moving, I took Wada with me in a pot - it was very small and I didn't think it would survive. A year later, I planted it in my new garden but lost the tag. When the flowers emerged this month, I had a hard time identifying it until I found my old tag hidden in a gardening book - voila - Wada's Primrose. Truly a beautiful clematis.

Diana Walker, Nanaimo, BC Canada

On Feb 13, 2006, DreamOfSpring from Charleston, SC (Zone 9a) wrote:

When planted, my plant sulked for 3 years. As I had seen no sign of it, neither leaves or flowers, I assumed it was dead. The next spring it suddenly burst forth in a magnificent display, cloaking everything around it in a blanket of some 30-40 huge (7"+), flat, near white blooms, many of which had 9-10 overlapping sepals. It was a stunning sight! I have quite a large number of clematis; none has ever behaved in this manner - either by waiting so long to show signs of life or by blooming so profusely, let alone doing so on its 1st attempt.

Also, while the name and literature suggest "yellow" blooms, all of the blooms on mine were pale cream to near white. This seems to be consistent with what I've read elsewhere. One source indicated that in very cool areas blooms may be p... read more