Rambler Rose 'Super Dorothy'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Super Dorothy
Additional cultivar information:(aka HELdoro, Superb Dorothy)
Hybridized by Helzel

By budding

Fernandina Beach, Florida

Harlem, Georgia

On Apr 7, 2011, GreeneLady from Oak Island, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I purchased 2 little super dorthies from Heirloom Rose, the came in like a 4 inch pot. In three years, they have completely covered a 8 foot arch and they don't show any signs of slowing down. I'm surprised this rose isn't more popular. It's extremely resistant to black spot and blooms almost continuously through the year with 2 heavy flushes in the spring and fall. It is fairly thorny but not as bad as a Jacob's Coat. The flowers remind me of powder puffs, small and dainty. Overall, the easiest climber/rambler I've grown.

On Feb 20, 2009, Seandor from Springfield, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I also bought this rose from Heirloom Roses. It has been wonderful! In the spring you can barely see the arbour, it is sooooo covered with pink blossoms. Delightful!

On Mar 5, 2007, Maria2354 from Fernandina Beach, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have had Super Dorothy growing on an arch for about 3 years now. In terms of growth, it is a rambler, all right. The arch is 8' H x 5' W and the rose practically grew all the way across and is wrapping around the arch a 2nd time. As for flowering, I am disappointed. Heirloom Roses sold it as a continual bloomer and hardy in zones 5-9. My SD is in zone 8 and it only blooms in Spring (barely). Fragrance is minimal and flowers are very small. On the other side of the arch is a Dr. Huey rose and although it too only blooms once, the flowers are in abundance and much bigger than SD. I am looking for a different climbing rose for the arch this year since SD did not perform as expected. Did I mention that SD is VERY THORNY?