PlantFiles: Gerbera Daisy, Transvaal Daisy, African Daisy, Barberton Daisy, Gerber Daisy
Gerbera jamesonii

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Gerbera (GER-ber-a) (Info)
Species: jamesonii (jay-mess-OWN-ee-eye) (Info)

Orange

This plant is resistant to deer

By kniphofia

Thumbnail #4 of Gerbera jamesonii by gardengrrl

Thumbnail #5 of Gerbera jamesonii by Floridian

Thumbnail #6 of Gerbera jamesonii by Floridian

Thumbnail #7 of Gerbera jamesonii by Floridian

Positive permagardenann1 On May 24, 2013, permagardenann1 from Douglasville, GA wrote:

I have had my gerber daisies going on 4 summers now and faithfully they have returned since I bought them from Home Depot. I planted them between 2 yellow knockout roses using good compost and aged manure around them as needed. These days the roses are shading them out and they are truly the same 2 colors that they were when I purchased them-yellow and red. Last fall, after they finished blooming for the season, I tried to dig the plant out to replace it in a new location but the roots are way to deep to mess with. I will have to figure out something soon-but those gerber daisies are a real beauty that I never get tired of looking at. I am in Douglasville, ga and my gerbers are planted on the west side of my house. Love them truly.

Positive Seedfork On Sep 16, 2012, Seedfork from Enterprise, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I live in zone 8b and have these planted next to my brick column for my mail box. I think it is the retained heat that lets these plants make it though the winter year after year. It blooms month after month.

Positive Caladria On Jun 27, 2012, Caladria from Greensburg, PA wrote:

Rescued 4 potted plants from a church Easter display two weeks out. One was doing well when I got it, two were iffy, and another seemed straight up dead. I plants them all outside in a sunny location in soil that was raised but contained a lot of clay. After the first round of blooms wilted, it looked like that was the end. For several weeks nothing happened (the dead one never came back.) And then, almost magically at the same time, they began to bloom again. They are so pretty when they bloom that they almost don't look real.

I know it says not to overwater, to wait until it's dry to water, but these guys in my garden seem very thirsty. In fact, before I knew anything about their care I judged by their wilting all the time that they WANTED water. So far the three that lived are still living. I'd like for them to come back next year, but I live in PA. I have a little hope since others have said it has happened for them.

Negative jewelweed10 On May 28, 2011, jewelweed10 from Johnson City, TN wrote:

I've only kept them in pots, where they look wonderful until they droop, get watered, droop again, get watered and eventually don't recover. One by one, I cut off the wilted blooms, until only one is left. After reading the posts about planting them in the garden, I think I will see if I have better luck out there then in pots. I live in Tennessee in the eastern part of the state, which has been very very very wet lately, but is usually a moderate climate.

Negative LeslieT On May 27, 2011, LeslieT from Bellaire, TX wrote:

I've never had any luck at all with this plant in my 9b Bellaire (Houston) garden. I've amended my heavy clay, used raised beds, been careful about watering, etc. I've decided not to waste another cent on this plant. They are beautiful and other people have luck, but NOT me.
Leslie

Positive ronthegardener On May 25, 2011, ronthegardener from Westminster, CA wrote:

In a word "BULLET-PROFF". I've had these growing in the ground in my yard for nearly 30 years now. I have a sandy loam soil. During the summer they are in bright filtered light under an Albizia julibrissin. In the winter they are in full sun.

Most of the water they receive is winter rainfall and very infrequent summer waterings by hand; maybe two or three times during the dry season. I'm in Westminster, CA and we get NO summer rainfall.

The ones I'm growing are Gerbera jamesonii - species - not one of the hybrids. They self-sow regularly and the colors are red, pink and a kind-of-a buff color. The flowers are presented on stalks as much as 18" tall. They are a real show!

I couldn't ask for a more dependable perennial.

Check out the 3 photos I posted under the name "ronthegardener". Thanks for looking. Enjoy!

Positive hymenocallis On May 25, 2011, hymenocallis from Auburn, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Just to restate the obvious, Red Gerbaras come back regularly, I planted one 5 years ago and it is up with buds now.

Positive mgpaquin On May 23, 2011, mgpaquin from Savannah, GA wrote:

I'm a HUGE fan of Gerbera daisies now. I bought 3 to fill in a bit of a narrow raised flower bed in my back yard 3 years ago and one of those plants is now blooming for me like crazy in its third year. The first year it came back I thought it was a fluke, since I didn't mulch it or fuss over it in any way. That year I bought 3 more, and 2 of those came back in the same bed. Last year I even had them come back IN POTS that had been roasted all summer in a Savannah summer, and then frozen in a fairly cold winter for us. I've now devoted an entire area of my flower bed to them. My only cautionary word might be that no matter what color they are when you buy them they all seem to come back and rebloom as red. Which suits me just fine, but if you're hoping for yellows coming back I can't speak to that. Love these plants.

Neutral JonthanJ On Nov 19, 2010, JonthanJ from Logansport, IN wrote:

These are sold as bedding annuals in Logansport, Indiana, but we do get reports of people who bring them in in the fall, after frost knocks the foliage down, dry them off, and hold them in cool dry places to revive them in the spring with a good soaking. If you have that kind of space, storing them beats fighting off whiteflies. They pretty much are dandelions except that the main roots are surface rhizomes like a smaller version of Iris rhizomes. They like the cooler weather. I got a very good deal on some 14" hanging baskets at a local big box store when the plants perked up in late September and put out a whole bunch of new blossoms just as the store's sales calendar said it was time to close them out.

Positive aslove On Oct 21, 2010, aslove from Amarillo, TX wrote:

I got this as a gift from my boyfriend in August and it is so hardy! It lives in our dining room that has an east facing window. After repotting it with soil marketed for house plants and putting it in a clay pot, it really took off. I trim the leaves and flowers when they start to die. My boyfriend forgot to take care of it when I went out of town and he though he killed it. After watering it and giving it a little attention, it recovered beautifully. I would highly recommend this plant for the forgetful or busy gardener, it always forgives me.

Positive mommaof3 On Sep 15, 2010, mommaof3 from Kingston, PA wrote:

I am in zone 5, on top of a mountain, and my gerbera daisy returns each year. This year it produced it's first bloom since returning, in September. I do not provide it with any food, water extra mulch, or even fertilizer. I do not know why this flower has blessed me with it's return, but I am thankful for it this unlikely garden "perennial." I hope it returns again next year. It's in great soil and obviously very "happy" where it is.

Positive trosietoo On Mar 14, 2010, trosietoo from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

Redding, CA: At our former home, my gerbera plants were in 12-inch clay pots placed inside a 1x4-foot wooden box, about 3 plants to a pot. They got about 4 hours a day of HOT mid-day sun and did very well, even wintering over for many years. I basically ignored them, other than they were on a drip watering system. We have since moved about 6 miles west, into downtown Redding (same zip code/garden zone). We have one pot with one gerbera that sits close to our house on our east side patio (morning sun only) and it has done very well, wintering over as well (4 winters now). It's also on a drip. When the plants winter over, they look dead. But if you leave them alone, they'll come back and you can just remove all the dead stuff. Don't give up on them too early in the season. Today is March 14 and my plant has many small green leaves and one open baby flower, about 1 inch across. We had a cold winter (at least two freezes), and here it comes! I love all the colors and the hardiness. (Notes: My husband probably has always sprinkled my flowers with a little fertilizer when he's done the rest of the yard 2 times/year. Also, our drip watering system is turned off every winter.)

Negative holeth On Jun 10, 2009, holeth from Corpus Christi, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

While everyone around me does beautifully with this plant, I've killed 3. Now when I get them as gifts, from wedding centerpieces, etc., I give them away because I know that I just can't keep them alive.

The first one was a gift. I overwatered it, so I bought a replacement and watered it only when the soil got dry. THAT ONE MOLDED TOO! It lingered in agony for 4 or 5 months before it finally died. It got a powdery mildew that I couldn't control.

After that, I never bought another one. When I got another as a gift, I put it outside thinking that they needed more light. That rotted, too.

I QUIT.

Positive elizabethperk On Mar 2, 2009, elizabethperk from Azle, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Planted 30 of these last spring and all 30 made it through the winter thanks to the pine straw I covered them with. Unbelievable!

Positive joan30157 On Sep 14, 2008, joan30157 from Dallas, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Love this plant!! I have several growing directly in the ground zone 7b. They return each year very early. They started blooming this year in May and show no signs of stopping. Mine grow in full sun and are not bothered by the heat. They do need supplemental watering during droughts. Very tough little plant. I have never been lucky enough to get seeds to germinate on this one.

Positive Jim2008 On Sep 4, 2008, Jim2008 from Cumming, GA wrote:

Gerber Daisy given to us as gift. It's in a small pot (half gallon size) and I water it on the south deck once a morning with about a pint of water +. I did fertilize with two tablespoons of miracle grow in spring. Exposed to sun from 9AM to 3PM.
Beautiful red flowers continuous all spring and summer. After reading previous info I'm bringing it in this winter and will try to get seeds for spring planting outside.
Cumming, Georgia is about 50 miles NNE of downtown Atlanta.

Positive bloominbuffalo On Jul 5, 2008, bloominbuffalo from Buffalo, NY wrote:

As a new urban gardener hesitant to use any chemicals..I have 5 plants, 2 in baskets (orange and red with lobelia), 1 alone in a terracotta pot (yellow) and two in a window box (orange with pansies). All are basically on the front porch and 4 of the five are doing phenomenal, 2 had 8 flowers at once and they are continually flowering (5-6 on other plants at a time)! However my lone yellow one had only 3 flowers and has not flowered again. The leaves are wilted and slightly reddish in color, although I do see new leaf growth. All are watered the same and occasionally added coffee grounds or egg shells; they are exposed to the same morning to 2pm sun. How can I revive my yellow one and what have I done wrong? Also, if I would like to keep these as a year around plant, what should I do to eventually prep them for that move? Thanks.

Positive blueflower19 On May 4, 2008, blueflower19 from Lufkin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I live in zone 8b and we had a red one that was planted in a sheltered location, mulched, with eastern exposure and it returned for about 3 years. I don't know beyond that because we moved and it got left behind. It was a little slow to emerge in the spring but it always bloomed. Never had any problems with disease or pests.

Neutral Malus2006 On Apr 19, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

Rabbits loves to eat it if the wilt doesn't get it.

Positive kizilod On Apr 18, 2008, kizilod from Uxbridge, MA wrote:

My Gerbera bloomed constantly indoors all winter long! Last spring I planted it in a terra cotta pot and mulched it with light colored gravel. In the fall, I sprayed the plant with insecticidal soap and brought it inside. I kept the pot in a warm room by a south facing window. My house is heated by steam radiators, so the air has a bit of humidity. I deadheaded and removed yellowing leaves on a regular basis. Several times I let the pot get too dry and the plant wilted a bit, but it recovered nicely after being watered.

Neutral distantkin On Feb 9, 2008, distantkin from Saint Cloud, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

When collecting and sharing seeds for Gerbera, please make sure that the seeds are slightly fatter in the middle than at the ends, the seeds that are straight like a thick hair are not viable. Only the seeds that have a bit wider middle and sometimes with a slight curve to them will work. Will try to get a photo of the seeds.

Positive GardeningGramma On Sep 17, 2007, GardeningGramma from Elma, WA wrote:

I was very pleased with my Gerbera's performance. Mine bloomed continually nearly all summer and is still in full bloom. A very bright spot in my flower garden, plus I have one in a large pot so I can move it around. I have the orange one and did not know it was a perennial, but am happy to hear so. Am going to try to save some seeds.

Positive Annmarie22 On May 29, 2007, Annmarie22 from Sterling Heights, MI wrote:

I purchased three gerber daisy plants about two months ago, and i have had amazing luck with them. I have a pink plant, a yellow plant, and an orange plant. The orange plant has five full blooms and a few coming up. The yellow and pink ones have three flowers each and more on the way. I had them in pots but they have outgrown them so I am in the process of transplanting them into bigger pots. I water them every day but just a little and only at the roots. Once a week I sprinkle the flowers with a light mist. Seems so easy I hope my luck continues.

Neutral bonbonww On May 3, 2007, bonbonww from Rocky Point, NC (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is my first time growing this plant. I have sand, mushroom compost and pine bark conditioner and have planted it in full sun.

Positive nocello On May 1, 2007, nocello from Hereford, AZ wrote:

I live in zone 8, Hereford, AZ. I planted a Gerber Daisy a couuple of years ago to add some bright color to my garden, I really didn't know if it was a annual or perenial at the time. I half expected it to die come winter. Here it is a few years later and it is thriving. I grow it under a large mesquite tree with canna lilies all around it. When the ground dries out, which is often around here I water them. They stay very wet during our summer monsoon rains. It also lasts quite a while as a cut flower. I just purchased 2 more yesterday, I can't wait to see if they grow just as well. Here's hoping.

Positive Cuda On Apr 11, 2007, Cuda from San Antonio, TX wrote:

A few years before my wife died in 1993, she planted several Gerber daisies in a small bed at the base of a bur oak tree. The area is quite shady most of the day in the summer with only an hour or so of sun in the morning. Until recently I pretty much ignored these beautiful little plants. Last year I started watering, fertilizing and mulching them regularly. Before my attention they were doing pretty good; now they're doing very good. I like them a lot and am trying to capture seeds from them. So far I've not had much luck with that.

Positive vicki10bear On Apr 5, 2007, vicki10bear from Livingston, LA wrote:

I live in zone 8 and I have grown gerber daises for 3 years now and they came back each time.I have the yellow,orange and red. I left them in the ground and mulched very heavy in the winter. Their are two yellow flowers blooming now and new buds about to burst open.

Positive promethean_spar On Oct 7, 2006, promethean_spar from Union City, CA wrote:

I have more of a taste for odd looking plants and cacti, but when my wife demanded a 'colorful' border these three came home with me (along with colorful oddball gaillardia 'fanfare' - ha!). Upon reading their description of hating water I decided to pot them so I could protect them from our winter rains that rot almost anything. I put them on the west side of a fence so they'd get plenty of sun, but every day they'd be wilted when I got home. Even watering twice a day was no good. I moved them to an east facing wall and they did a little better wilt-wise, but asked for more light. Exasperated I put their pot in a deep saucer and put them back in the sun and they've been flourishing ever since as long as I keep the saucer full of water. They've never had a mildew or rot problem, but with so many warnings about it there must be some truth to that.

Anyway, the morel of the story is that gerberas have a love-hate relationship with water, requiring soil that is constantly quite moist.

If they can handle the rainy winter I'll plant many more of them as their flowers and foliage are well above average.

Positive dcamanda On Aug 22, 2006, dcamanda from Alexandria, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I'm finishing my first summer at a new place, and, as usual, have enjoyed the surprises of what pops out of the ground from previous owners. A pretty, bright red Gerbera was one of them (my first one)... which I thought was odd since I'd understood that they were annuals. I'm guessing it grew itself from seed? It's been chugging along since June, producing bloom after bloom, up to 4 or 5 at a time! And asking for NO water from me (rain was enough) the entire time (which is really something in the HOT DC July.
I did recently make a huge mistake: it's been growing really close to the sidewalk and to other plants, while I had a big bare spot a foot away from the little guy. So... I popped it out and replanted it in the open area. Honestly, with the way it's been looking, I'm surprised that it is actually still alive. Bummer. It's encouraging, though, to see others say how much water they need (which, of course is a change for me), as I return home every day to the thing all wilted. Good to know it could still make a comeback!
Has anyone noticed how much the overall growth pattern resembles a dandelion?

Negative carrotpower On Jul 15, 2006, carrotpower from Arcata, CA wrote:

I love the blossoms but don't know whats happening with this temperamental little plant. boo!

Negative nancykeay On Jul 12, 2006, nancykeay from Tacoma, WA wrote:

Zone 8, Tacoma, WA. Every time I plant these, they seem to wilt and rot at the base. I honestly am not sure if I am overwatering or underwatering! All the plants around them seem to do fine. They are in windowboxes. Thanks.

Positive schneeflocke On Jul 8, 2006, schneeflocke from Dayton, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

We purchased a Gerbera last year for our boss at work. I inherited it after it stopped blooming in the fall. Come spring I repotted it into a much larger pot taking care to keep the base of the plant above the soil. It grew leaves like crazy, but if I put it outdoors in the spring and it was too windy it would wilt badly. Thought I killed it for sure a couple of times. So as long as I kept it indoors with bright light and kept the soil moist it was happy. I thought it wasn't going to grow flowers this year (I think I was too impatient) but come late June it began to bud and I have 6 bright yellow flowers now. By the middle of June I put it outside in direct sun if it's a nice day but made sure it was sheltered from the wind. Comes indoors every night. Water it every day and it is doing great. I'm in SW Ohio. Doing great as a container plant. I'll try to post photo.

Positive NatureWalker On Jun 25, 2006, NatureWalker from New York & Terrell, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Greenhouse Perennial. Anytime of year.
I think it prefers cool air after getting estabished: 35 to 70 .

Germ Days: 15 to 25.
Needs Light for Germination
Germ Temp: 70 to 75.
Growing Media: Peaty. Don't forget to add a tiny pinch of lime to the soil.
Sow Depth: Just Cover the seed very lightly.
Comments: Sow sharp end down, with the fluff uptop, don't cover completely.
Spray mist to water, or water from bottom of plant; ONLY!

Don't keep wet Roots!
If you feel (or sense) that the roots are too wet, then use 1 tablespoonful of ordinary household peroxide per 8 ounces of warmed water; & pour it into the soil only! Touching the leaves with that strength will burn them.

Category: Annuals in cooler climates or put in cool greenhouse.
Tropicals/Tender Perennials in: Zones 9a: to (20 F) thru 10b: to (35 F)
Height: 6 to 12 in. thru 18 inches.
Spacing: 12 to 15 inches.

~* Robin

Positive prgardener On Jun 17, 2006, prgardener from Park Ridge, IL wrote:

For two years I had trouble finding a good place for these beautiful flowers. The automatic sprinkler every other day would rot the plants at the base. Last year I put them under the eves of the house where the sprinkler doesn't reach and they did great! I watered them with the hose dripping the soil nearby. Two of four of them came back this year (in Chicago!!!) and it wasn't from the seeds as they came back in the same place next to the marker - I was amazed. We had a mild winter and the heat from the house must have kept them warm enough.

Positive redshiba On Feb 17, 2006, redshiba from Snohomish County, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I live in Oklahoma City...in January of 2005 I started these from seed, a crop the seed company mentioned could result in 50% crop failure so they sent me two packages, 50 seeds total...50% germinated just like they said. I planted them in a south and east facing corner that gets protection from north winds and sun mid morning to noon (average about 3 hours) in poorly un-ammended red clay Okie soil mulched with fallen leaf mulch. The soil can have a tendancy to dry out at the surface. They did not bloom in 2005, they seemed a little too young. This year our temps have dropped to a low of 4 degrees (that's farenheit!) on several occasions and have been snowed/iced on (including right now). They turned a little black yet have come back with a vengence and have babies next to them as well. I know this area of my garden is a micro climate so we'll see if they get enough sun to bloom this coming spring/summer and survive any winter that might prove more harsh in the future.

Positive Zylphey On Feb 12, 2006, Zylphey from Fayette County, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I was told some years ago in a Master Gardener class that the secret to overwintering Gerberas is *perfect drainage*. Here in my area of Georgia, our winters can be quite wet - the Gerberas that have survived best for me are in a raised bed, with very little mulch around them.

Positive sirius100 On Jan 21, 2006, sirius100 from Caracas
Venezuela wrote:

They do dry quickly in hot days and need frequent watering, but high humidity is also an issue. I've had 8 gerberas and out of those 3 died from crown rot caused by too many humid nights in a row. Watering very carefully around them early in the day does the trick nicely, along with placing them in a place sheltered from foggy winds during the night. Despite these minor problems, these plants are completely worth the effort, as the flowers are truly amazing and very photogenic.

Positive admodeva On Nov 17, 2005, admodeva from Dutton, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

I love these plants, they don't flower as much as I'd like but when they do they're well worth it. Mine seem to appreciate afternoon shade.

Positive Violet925 On Oct 10, 2005, Violet925 from Cuyahoga Falls, OH wrote:

I had gerber daisies as outdoor plants in Tennessee. They were part of a garden, and consistently came back every year with little maintenance. Now that I live in a colder climate (Cleveland, OH), I keep a daisy in a pot that hangs outdoors during the summer (needs water daily or it will wilt) and then I bring it indoors in front of a sunny window for winter. It begins blooming again once it is put outside the next summer. I highly recommend these cheery little plants if you can remember to water them. No need to toss them when it's cold out, as long as you water every couple of days and keep them in front of a sunny window throughout the winter.

Positive FireAnt_0119 On Jul 24, 2005, FireAnt_0119 from Sun City, CA wrote:

Hello All!, First I love Gerbera Daisies, but I have to say, Gerbers can be fussy and need as much TLC as a gardenia does...so, in other words, give the plant everything it needs, and in return, you will get the graceful majestic beauty of the flower and foliage we adore.

Positive herlurie On May 10, 2005, herlurie from Mobile, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I live in an apartment, so I have this plant in a pot. It has been sitting outside in full sun since I bought it two or three months ago. It is pink and has had two to three blooms continuously since I bought it, even though I have been neglectful and have forgotten to keep it watered on a regular basis. I quickly remember when I see the blooms and leaves beginning to droop, however!

I did not realize that it had the potential to be a perennial, but will be sure to bring it inside next winter when it begins to cool off. I also read recently in a book about plants that are good for purifying the air in houses and offices that it is a good choice for removing chemicals and toxic gases from indoor air. So, I am thinking of buying a few more for inside and seeing how well they hold up, if I can find a place to put them!

Positive JaxFlaGardener On Feb 24, 2005, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I live on the borderline of Zone 8b/9a in NE Florida. I was successful in overwintering several Gerbera Daisies this past winter by providing a covering of a few inches of hay. One of them (a pink one) is blooming already in mid-February!. I look for them on sale (cheap!) when they have been (typically) overwatered at K-Mart and other stores. I am generally able to restore them to complete health with full sun and holding off on watering for a while until they are established. Our sandy soil here may be a benefit in growing the Gerberas. Good drainage may help keep the crowns from rotting.

Neutral Indiana_Grown On Jan 3, 2005, Indiana_Grown from Indianapolis, IN wrote:

This is my favorite plant, but when I tried bringing them in for the winter, I became infested with fruit flies, so be careful. A soil pesticide and paper eventually took care of them. The three I have remaining are currently doing so-so, not sure if they'll make it.

Positive PvillePlanter On Nov 2, 2004, PvillePlanter from Pflugerville, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I guess nobody told the gerberas in my zone 8 that they weren't suppose to be perennials. Mine have been growing (same plants) and multiplying in part-shade for the last 5 years. Have never had an pest problems with them.

Neutral indy2283 On May 29, 2004, indy2283 from West Bend, WI wrote:

Great plant, but birds have been eating the petals before it opens.

Neutral wileysmom On May 3, 2004, wileysmom from Long Beach, CA wrote:

I live in zone 9. Every spring I plant 4 or 5 Gerber Daises in my flower garden. Most of them begin to wilt as soon as they are placed in the garden, then die off quickly. The few plants that do survive come back every year and do well. Any ideas why this might be happening?

Positive KDePetrillo On May 1, 2004, KDePetrillo from North Scituate, RI (Zone 6a) wrote:

No one mentioned whiteflies in relation to Gerbera: as houseplants or greenhouse plants, you're almost guaranteed to have a whitefly infestation! Keep the insect spray handy if you try to grow these inside. Other than that, these are great plants. If you want to divide them for more plants, do it in June.

Positive mistywaters On Apr 30, 2004, mistywaters from Ragley, LA wrote:

I live in the lower part of zone 8 and have had great success with gerbera daisies. They get filtered sun all day until late afternoon where they get full sun. Very good performing perennial.

Positive DownEaster42 On Feb 13, 2004, DownEaster42 from Greenville, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have successfully grown Gerber Daisy for four years in my zone 7b garden. The plants are in the shade of an old pine tree. They are kept heavily mulched and go dormant during the summer. Leaf out and soon flower in spring and fall. For some reason the plants with yellow flowers are more hardy than the other colors.

Positive Chaquitama On Jul 7, 2003, Chaquitama from Concord, CA wrote:

Feed frequently and they'll reward you with those beautiful blooms! Also they can be susceptible to crown rot so make sure they are above the soil to avoid the rot....... and yes they do need water......avoid over head watering and water early in day to avoid powdery mildew.

Positive Chrysalid On Jul 6, 2003, Chrysalid wrote:

So far I've had mine in a pot for two years running, without much care at all, and mine is not only very resistant (its main branches broke in half and I merely tied them together again) but has lots of flowers at the same time during almost the whole year. It is also self-sowing and growing constantly.

Neutral monsky On Jun 3, 2003, monsky from Lincoln, NE wrote:

This is my first year for this plant. They do seem to need water every two or three days here in my clay soil. I am crazy about the size and color of the blooms, they really add to the landscape! I planted them in several part sun places to test their needs. I did have to dust them, with seven as something was eating the leaves. The red color is a knockout!!

Neutral KayleasFan On May 26, 2003, KayleasFan wrote:

I have also found that this plant needs watering at least twice a week but I love the blooms so much that I don't mind. I have it planted in partial shade in front of my hostas that are in full shade. It's made a nice transition plant. I have had several plants come back from seed this year and the colors are still bright and true.

Positive nebular On Apr 7, 2003, nebular from Kihei, HI (Zone 12b) wrote:

I also noticed that the plant dries out quickly, but it sure made it through the summer just fine, even next to the driveway pavement. It seemed hearty but maxed out with 3 blooms at a time. I brought it inside for our Zone 5 winter and it looked very sad for several months. It is in a south facing window. Then it perked up at the end of March and I just had the first bloom of the season, indoors!

Neutral smiln32 On Aug 4, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Gerbera daisies are not a perennial in zone 8, at least. I tried to bring them indoors last fall and they didn't make it through the winter. They do require a lot of water. Mine get half day of sun and do well when watered twice per week or so.

Neutral woodspirit1 On Jun 30, 2002, woodspirit1 from Lake Toxaway, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have found that they need a lot of water. Will wilt EVERY day in a pot in full sun and every other day if planted in the ground. I read somewhere that it is a tender perennial; is this true?

Auburn, Alabama
Parker, Colorado
Bonita Springs, Florida
Bradenton, Florida
Crestview, Florida
Daytona Beach, Florida (2 reports)
Fort Myers, Florida
Interlachen, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (4 reports)
Kissimmee, Florida
Seminole, Florida
Spring Hill, Florida
Venice, Florida
Zephyrhills, Florida
Atlanta, Georgia (3 reports)
Cumming, Georgia
Indianapolis, Indiana
Olathe, Kansas
Hebron, Kentucky
Shepherdsville, Kentucky
Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)
Belle Rose, Louisiana
Livingston, Louisiana
Metairie, Louisiana
Ragley, Louisiana
Waldorf, Maryland
Bellaire, Michigan
Macomb, Michigan
Sterling Heights, Michigan (2 reports)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Marion, Texas
Pflugerville, Texas
Porter, Texas
Round Rock, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)
Sugar Land, Texas