PlantFiles: Strawberry
Fragaria x ananassa 'Ozark Beauty'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Fragaria (frag-AY-ree-uh) (Info)
Species: x ananassa (a-NAN-ass-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Ozark Beauty

Thumbnail #3 of Fragaria x ananassa by Kim_M

By mjab17
Thumbnail #4 of Fragaria x ananassa by mjab17

Positive mjab17 On Jun 10, 2010, mjab17 from North Billerica, MA wrote:

Always liked this veritay, great plant, lots of flowers, i gutta say, keep an eye out for birds and gray mold. I have mine mixed with an everbaring, on the north side of the house, where I seem to always get a late crop. I like them where they are but unfortanly they are on there 5th year and i will need to collect the runners after the berry pass to start them on the west/south wall of the house. As long as you keep the runners down they really are much of a trouble. I find the taste to be more acidic then store bought ones making them perfict for jam but this is my first year doing the jam, and even if you eat them raw they have a great flavor.

Positive pokie312001 On Jun 28, 2008, pokie312001 from Walnut Grove, MN wrote:

Purchased 25 1 yr plants this spring. Luckily only 1 didn't survive, and I now have runners on about 10 of them. They are doing well and produce many strawberries. I do have to net them for my benefit,and not the birds,however,it means removing net every other day to pick the ripe ones.(ave. of about 10-20 berries per picking day) Very plump and juicy.I did add compost to the soil when i planted in a raised bed,then mulched with recycled newspaper.I fertlilized with miracle gro when they showed first sign of going to bloom.
Note: planted in april, it is now june.
Overall I am very satisfied with this strawberry!

Positive cmccrell On Jun 30, 2007, cmccrell from Honeoye Falls, NY wrote:

This is planted in a 2' x 3' self-watering tub. It is doing well, has spread and is producing berries...very flavorful, though when watered too often the berries tend to get mushy.

Neutral kmom246 On May 4, 2007, kmom246 from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

It appears to be putting up with the highly variable spring weather in the High Desert. This year we have had 80*F weather in early April, snow and 24*F in the middle of April, a return to 80*F weather and then snow in the beginning of May. Most of the plants are not even phased. I did pinch flower buds off during the warm period as I knew freezes were still likely to come. Also, I wanted the early energy put into healthy plant growth.

I rated this neutral as I have not yet had the plants long enough to tell how well they will do over the long haul. Putting up with our kind of Spring is a good initial test to say things look promissing. We'll see what it thinks about 100 degree Summers.

Neutral mommyrawlings On May 1, 2006, mommyrawlings from Winfield, WV wrote:

I bought this plant last year and it did not bear much fruit, but i assume this was because this was it's first growing season. I was surprised this spring when I realized that it had returned so I am hoping it will have a better growing season this time. I currently have it planted in a hanging basket. I will keep you posted on my future experience of this plant.

Negative Sarahskeeper On Dec 18, 2005, Sarahskeeper from Brockton, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Lots of hype in the catalogs but no luck here. Few berries with large surface seeds.

Lisbon, Maine