Kabocha Squash, Japanese Pumpkin 'Red Warty Thing'

Cucurbita maxima

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: maxima (MAKS-ih-muh) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Warty Thing

Kabocha (winter)

91 to 100 days

Mature Skin Color:

12 to 20 pounds (5 to 9 kg)

Open Pollinated

Thousand Oaks, California

New Milford, Connecticut

Hayden, Idaho

Macminnville, Oregon

On Aug 7, 2011, cwheat000 from New Milford, CT wrote:

This plant self sowed from one of my pumpkins/squash from last halloween. The plant is huge,vigorous and disease free despite minimal care(I've watered it maybe 10x since spring, fertilized it once and sprayed it with deer repellant). I have one squash the size of a basketball now at the beginning of Aug., and at least a dozen ranging in size from a gumball to a softball, and tons of flowers. A few babies have withered and fallen off the vine, but overall my little girl and I think it is an awesome plant.

On Oct 26, 2009, JeffAW from Mcminnville, OR wrote:

I only averaged about two fruit per plant, but I was impressed by them. Around 10 pounds in size the flesh is fine for cooking. The skin will get red with a lot of sun exposure, otherwise it will be a very dark orange. When the neighbors looked over my garden this one always got a double take.

On Dec 31, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Available from Rupp which describes as follows:"A variety from the U.S. Seed Bank that has an appearance that is well suited as an unusual addition for the decorative market. Red Warty Thing has Hubbard type flesh that is good eating. It has a very hard, thick rind." A 20 lb., 110 day round warted red cultivar. Large vine