Butternut Squash, Winter Squash 'Burpee's Butterbush'

Cucurbita moschata

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: moschata (MOSS-kuh-ta) (Info)
Cultivar: Burpee's Butterbush

Butternut (winter)

91 to 100 days

Mature Skin Color:

Less than 1 pound (0.5 kg)

2 to 3 pounds (1 to 2 kg)

Dunnellon, Florida

Augusta, Georgia

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Gold Hill, Oregon

On Aug 8, 2013, dutch42 from Minneapolis, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

Butterbush is an excellent early space saving variety that produces individual-serving sized fruits. Meat is sweet, moist and not stringy. Properly ripe and cured fruits store a long time even at room temperatures.

This whole species is quite resistant to squash borers, which always seem to find whatever other types of squash I plant no matter where. I have had no squash borer problems with any of the moschata varieties.

Originally a hybrid, this type has also been sorted from saved seed by some to be quite uniform in some seed lines as open pollinated, although then it shouldn't really be called Butterbush. It is definitely short season enough for northern gardens, too, like here in Minneapolis. I have had very good results planting back saved seed ev... read more

On Dec 31, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 75 day hybrid butternut in semi-bush form. Fruits are smaller than most (about 1 1/2 lbs). Vines are vigorous and prolific. I do not grow butternuts every year but this one performed well when I do get around to growing them.