Moonflower, Moon Vine, Giant White Moonflower
Ipomoea alba

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ipomoea (ip-oh-MEE-a) (Info)
Species: alba (AL-ba) (Info)
Synonym:Calonyction album
Synonym:Calonyction aculeatum
Synonym:Calonyction bona-nox
Synonym:Ipomoea noctiflora
Synonym:Calonyction pulcherrimum

USDA Zone 8a: to -12.2 °C (10 °F)

USDA Zone 8b: to -9.4 °C (15 °F)

USDA Zone 9a: to -6.6 °C (20 °F)

USDA Zone 9b: to -3.8 °C (25 °F)

USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)

USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)

USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Late Fall/Early Winter

Blue-Green

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Bessemer, Alabama

Auburndale, Florida

Big Pine Key, Florida

Boca Raton, Florida

Bradley, Florida

Brooksville, Florida (4 reports)

Carrabelle, Florida

Lake City, Florida

Lakeland, Florida

Lecanto, Florida

Lehigh Acres, Florida

Miami, Florida (3 reports)

Navarre, Florida

Colbert, Georgia

Cornelia, Georgia

Hahira, Georgia

Lawrenceville, Georgia

Marietta, Georgia (2 reports)

Roswell, Georgia

Louisville, Kentucky

Owensboro, Kentucky

Paducah, Kentucky

Symsonia, Kentucky

Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)

Breaux Bridge, Louisiana

Prairieville, Louisiana

Saint James, Louisiana

Zachary, Louisiana

Sullivan, Maine

Baltimore, Maryland (2 reports)

Cumberland, Maryland

Melvindale, Michigan

Redford, Michigan

Bricelyn, Minnesota

Buffalo, Minnesota

Minneapolis, Minnesota (2 reports)

Corinth, Mississippi

Jackson, Mississippi

Madison, Mississippi

Mathiston, Mississippi

Olive Branch, Mississippi (2 reports)

Belton, Missouri

Conway, Missouri

Hallsville, Missouri

Huntsville, Missouri

Kansas City, Missouri

Saint Louis, Missouri (2 reports)

Saint Peters, Missouri

Lincoln, Nebraska (3 reports)

Manchester, New Hampshire

Charlotte, North Carolina

Concord, North Carolina

Currituck, North Carolina

Efland, North Carolina

Fayetteville, North Carolina (2 reports)

Garner, North Carolina

Jacksonville, North Carolina

Kure Beach, North Carolina

Lucama, North Carolina

Oxford, North Carolina

Rowland, North Carolina

Salisbury, North Carolina

South Mills, North Carolina

Wilmington, North Carolina (2 reports)

Akron, Ohio

Fairview, Oklahoma

Hulbert, Oklahoma

Mcalester, Oklahoma

Mountain View, Oklahoma

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (5 reports)

Owasso, Oklahoma

Wakefield, Rhode Island

West Warwick, Rhode Island

Aiken, South Carolina

Anderson, South Carolina

Charleston, South Carolina (2 reports)

Columbia, South Carolina

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina

North Augusta, South Carolina

North Charleston, South Carolina

Piedmont, South Carolina

Rock Hill, South Carolina (2 reports)

Salem, South Carolina

Nashville, Tennessee

Oneida, Tennessee

Powell, Tennessee

Sweetwater, Tennessee

Austin, Texas (3 reports)

Bedford, Texas

Plano, Texas

Red Oak, Texas

Round Rock, Texas

Rowlett, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (6 reports)

Snyder, Texas

Elkins, West Virginia

New Milton, West Virginia

Waukesha, Wisconsin

On Jun 8, 2015, Portplantia from Portland, OR wrote:

I didn't have good luck with this one. Got a small plant from a local nursery. Planted it next to a huge Clematis growing up the side of our house. Grew to about 8 feet, only had 2 short-lived blooms all summer and neither were very fragrant. Would not plant again.

On Apr 6, 2015, Cahow from HARBERT, MI wrote:

I've been living with, loving and planting Moonflowers for 6 decades! We had both Moonflowers and Morning Glories at our dairy farm when I was a child and I learned how to get them started from my beloved Gran, who grew everything from seed or cuttings.

Now, she would use a tea towel back then, but I've since switched to paper towels for the ease and disposable factor. This is what we do:

Soak the seeds overnight in a small dish, starting with lukewarm water. The next morning, take a water-proof tray with a slight lip and line the tray with two paper towels (for thickness). Drain the seeds and lay them onto the paper towels and then carefully pour fresh lukewarm water over them until the paper towels are hydrated. Then, place just one layer of paper towels ov... read more

On Apr 1, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This species requires a longer season than the usual morning glories (Ipomoea tricolor). Here in the north (Massachusetts Z6a) it needs as much sun and heat as you can give it. Even so, it often comes into bloom around Labor Day. Give it something to climb on.

Here where the growing season is short, seeds are best started indoors 6-8 weeks before last frost date. Soak seeds overnight and/or nick the seed coat before planting.

Rots in cool soils---don't plant out till the soil has fully warmed, a week or two after last frost.

Hates transplanting.

The huge flowers open in the early evening and close the next morning.

On Nov 5, 2014, LizaR from Gap, PA wrote:

The first time I tried this plant some years ago, I had very little success in getting it to germinate. I then did some research and found out that scarifying the seeds helps greatly, as well as soaking the seeds in half water and half hydrogen peroxide solution for 24 hours. When the seed coat cracks, then it is ready to be sowed. This type of impomoea likes richer soil than the tricolor types, such as heavenly blues. I plant the heavenly blues in regular soil here and they grow about 20-30 feet by fall. I mix some miracle grow potting mix in with the soil in the area where the moonflowers will go. They have reached about 15-17 feet by fall. I wish we had a longer growing season here in Pennsylvania so these would stick around longer. But both have reseeded themselves and come bac... read more

On Aug 31, 2014, keirasmom from Fayetteville, NC wrote:

This is a beautiful and very fragrant plant. The smell of the flower reminds me of the beach. Although some say it likes heat I have found that it thrives better in warm not to hot weather as long as it has moist soil. Here in NC it is very hot and humid most days. The Moon Flower does not like to be transplanted so make sure you put the seeds where you want them to grow and make sure you keep them watered. When I bought the pack of seeds I had read that it's hard to get the seeds to germinate and when I finally planted them I put all 4 in the pot, 2 survived but I transplanted 1 and it died. Other than that I am in love with this beautiful flower. It is much like a morning glory in that it blooms at night instead of the morning. As long as you keep track of the vines it doesn't get out of... read more

On Oct 15, 2013, nathanieledison from Santa Rosa, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Santa Rosa, CA - Sunset zone 14/15, USDA 9b/10a

With almost 140 comments I'm probably restating some things. But earlier there were comments about Ipomoea alba growing in shade - moonflower is a heat loving plant, I've got one that is blooming now in half day sun and there's a huge one at Annie's in Richmond that is completely shaded and blooming like nobody's business. On the contrary, in Richmond it seldom gets very warm during the summer. Possibly feeding is the answer, although I never fed my vine. Mine first bloomed last night and I pulled my mom out of bed to come see it at 6 AM. Truly spectacular flowers.

As for the hardiness, this vine has come back for some neighbors and I'm planning on having it come up next year.

Also, don't try to gr... read more

On Sep 15, 2012, cnggreen from Rosalia, KS wrote:

I bought a package of seeds 5 years ago and forgot about them until I was cleaning out a cabinet and found them. I planted them along the columns of my covered porch and promptly forgot about them again.... Fast forward 2 months and I see a HUGE and lovely white bloom mixed in with my clematis and roses..... My moonflower was going to bloom! It's lovely and I've found several new buds that will open soon. They look lovely mixed in with the other climbers, and perfume the air, on and around the porch. Sitting out in the evening has never smelled so lovely!

On Jul 21, 2012, bbmg31784 from Pinardville, NH wrote:

Well I am from Manchester, NH and I have always wanted to try growing moon flowers. So I bought a package of seed, and all 10 seed germinated. I then planted them all into one 12 inch pot till they were about 3 inches, then re potted them in there own separate 13 inch pots. I wasn't sure how they would do since I was planting then in pots and not the ground. Gave 6 away but the 4 I have are doing Great. There on my balcony and were getting so long I went out and bought two 6 ft tall Trellis. The trellises start at the bottom being 6 inches wide and gradually widens to 60 inches, Seeing they fit well I attached them to my balcony post with cable ties. Helped with the start of the wrapping but they took off. My plants are about 7 feet tall and bright green leaves. I am noticing little buds o... read more

On May 29, 2012, td1026 from Groveland, FL wrote:

I love this vine! Extremely fast grower, completely covered a 12 foot section of my boardwalk from top to bottom, then clambered along my fence. The seedpods are terribly messy and will drop hundreds of seeds all over your yard. In January, frost killed it to the ground, but 30 or 40 seedlings have emerged since March and continue to do so. I've let maybe 10 live and even that is too many. This year's seedlings seem to be more drought tolerant than last years and have endured our dry spell here in Florida this spring with very little supplemental water. One complaint I do have this that while the blooms are beautiful and a real joy to watch open, their scent is VERY weak! I had to stick my nose in the flower to get any hint of scent, and was sorely disappointed that they smelled like more ... read more

On Feb 17, 2012, Jibarito7 from Conway, FL wrote:

Hello Flower Folk! Easy vine to grow. Score and soak seeds to encourage proper growth. You'll enjoy watching the beautiful flowers open quickly in the late afternoon. At night the Hummingbird moth pays a visit.(A big plus!) Grow some along a fence with Datura inoxia at the base for some nighttime activity.

On Aug 6, 2011, LearningTheWays from Petaluma, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

In the middle of May this year, I filled a 14" pot with potting mix (Miracle-Gro® Potting Mix, 0.21 - 0.07 - 0.14) and planted 3 seeds (from Renee’s Garden) that I had soaked for ~6 hrs in tepid water. I set this outside (southern exposure), covered it with Reemay to keep the birds, etc. out, and made sure it stayed damp. All three seeds germinated in about 2 weeks.

In June, I uncovered and moved the pot to our deck where I had set up a trellis against the railing, with south-east exposure. The plants grew rapidly during June and July to ~8 feet tall. In contrast to the morning glories we also have growing, the moonflowers have not yet set out any buds. Is there something I can do to encourage them to blossom? Should I add something to adjust the fertilizer ratios? An... read more

On Jul 5, 2011, Worricow from Hancock, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Positive so far. Zone 5 with a zone 7 micro climate until winter hits.

Used the soak in water over-night method. Discarded the floating ones, and potted them in a very water saturated seed starting mix (can't remember the brand Jiffy or MG). Four inch pots, with four seeds spaced evenly apart (to account for fails). Placed them in a 80 degree hot house.

Emerged in three days!

Will thin to two per pot, then perhaps remove the weakest before setting in the ground in a sunny site with lots of water.

I have always failed at these. Filing/cracking never worked for me, sadly. I have never had a batch sprout until this year, and it looks like I will get four viables per pot. Amazing.

What's the recommended fertilizer rate ... read more

On Apr 10, 2011, magicgardengirl from Belton, MO wrote:

This plant needs humidity and warmth to grow well. Even here in Missouri it seems to need to be tended to regularly, including watering. I also suggest feeding it regularly in it's first weeks of life to give it a good start. Also, the seeds should be scarified before they go in the soil, so I like to use a coarse nail file to remove the seed shell in a few small random areas. This plant is easy to start and i'm sure that once i get it to take i can keep growing them as i please.

On Mar 24, 2011, mwdallas from Carrollton, TX wrote:

I LOVE these. I took some seeds from a neighbors plants. She had them in the back where the alleys/driveways are. I have SO many plants in the pot since I didn't bother to do much with it after it died although I did collect some of the seed pods. I just repotted some of the plants from the original pot. Can't wait to see them in full bloom this year.

On Sep 14, 2010, Amoena from Nashville, TN wrote:

Moonflower grows very well here in Nashville, TN, reaching heights of 10 feet or more in good soil. The trick I've discovered is to not plant it too early, as it won't grow well until the night are warm, 70 degrees+. I've had the best results direct-sowing presoaked seed in early June.

On Sep 14, 2010, caitriona from Rapid City, SD wrote:

This has been our first year growing Moonflowers. We are growing them indoors in pots. It has been a delicate process, a lot of learning! But oh the reward has been spectacular... Seeing that first flower was splendid!! Right now we are battling spider mite's. We have tried different remedies that have taken their toll on the plant, along with the pesky bugs. Any suggestions? We are using water right now.

On Jul 9, 2010, Shades2u from Augusta, GA wrote:

This is the most beautiful flower I have ever seen. I inherited it from my mother when she died. It comes back every year and I have moved it in my front yard now. Everyone wants to know what it is and where they can get one. The only maintenance I provide is water and that is only when the leaves droop. It does bloom at night and I have gotten up to about fifty blooms per day this year. And it does bloom daily. If you have one keep it. If you don't keep trying. I have given three away and the new owners love them as well.

On Jun 27, 2010, KrisKat1972 from Louisville, KY wrote:

I've grown Moon Lily plants for the past 5 years, and they are for me not a vine, but more of a stalky, leafy, lush plant with a long root base, and acts like a perrineal. It seems to do best for me in full, hot sun, and needs a deep watering about every other week. I deadhead the spent blooms the following morning, and when I have let them go (like gone for vacation), there are considerably less new blooms (but isn't that true for most flowering plants:)). I cut back when it gets so cool in the fall that the leaves start turning yellow and brown and there aren't any new blooms. Just in case the root bed dies, I let the last 10 or so blooms go to seed. The pods are round and resemble sycamore balls in that they have little sharp thorns all over them. Then I hang onto the seed balls ... read more

On Jun 22, 2010, Erminetrude from Oxford
United Kingdom wrote:

Looks much too much like bindweed. My instinct to pull it up or poison it would be far too strong.

On Jun 21, 2010, thmpr from Eureka, CA wrote:

When I lived in Kansas and Missouri, the hot summer weather always allowed me to easily grow huge moonflower vines within a very short period of time.
After I moved to Eureka, CA my experience became the exact opposite. The plants have been slow-growing & spindly, struggling all season, eventually succumbing to aphids or some other sad fate.
I'm guessing that Ipomoea alba needs warmer conditions than Eureka can provide. The climate here is quite a bit cooler than the rest of Humboldt County, rarely getting warmer than the 60's. Every local garden center has Ipomoea alba seeds however, & I'm sure they would do much better just a few miles further inland.

On Jun 21, 2010, OITGAD from Hicksville, NY wrote:

I love this plant and have had success every time I've planted the seedlings. I germinate the seeds by placing them on a wet paper towel, folding over the towel and then sealing it into a clear plastic bag. Germination occurs within 5 days or so. Not every germinated seed grows into a seedling however I would estimate about 80% of the seeds turn into usable seedlings. Try to keep them out of afternoon sun (I live in the middle of Long Island)...they will cook (in pots or in the ground) unless you plan on watering them a lot...read that "every day." I've planted the amongst my perennials (not the best idea - they tend to strangle my lily and hemerocallis stalks), had them climb up my katsura tree or climb up a trellis. The scent is magnificent. This year I've planted them in pots wit... read more

On Jun 21, 2010, labtech from kitchener

I grow Moonflowers well here in Southern Ontario. I do not crack them, I put them in moist paper towel for a day or two.
One word of caution though the seeds are poison, so watch near children or pets.

On Jun 17, 2010, PammiePi from Green Cove Springs, FL wrote:

One of my favorites to grow from seed. I try to plant these every year & share the seeds with neighbors. Easy to grow, these are one of the few morning glory type vines that will handle the high heat & humidity of Florida (I don't have luck with any other varieties from seed). I plant the seeds in full sun near my "moon garden", and by early-mid summer, it begins to bloom with huge white flowers. The blooms open in the early evening & close up in the morning. They have a delightful delicate fragrance. Hummingbird Moths are attracted to the blooms & can be seen buzzing around them at night. On full moon nights they look magnificant! The leaves of the vine are also attractive. Hardy & easy to grow, they were a fun plant for my children to grow when they were younger.

On May 11, 2010, 8bitvillain from San Leandro, CA wrote:

Peninsula, CA

Planted seeds a few weeks ago (April 24th 2010), some are in pots and a few are in the soil. I haven't used any fertilizers. There only seems to be a couple sprouting vigorously, and are taking root nicely. The rest are struggling a little bit but that might be because they're in cheap plastic containers/water bottles.

I'm really looking forward to watching these flowers bloom and trail up on the fence.

Will post when I get more results :D

On Apr 15, 2010, SanAntonioSun from San Antonio, TX wrote:

This plant tends to do very well in most Texas regions. If anyone is having a hard time getting the seeds to germinate, I recommend soaking them overnight in water and then starting them in peat pellets (available at Home Depot or Lowe's). I then keep them watered and outdoors in a place where they get sun. Every time I use the peat pellets, the moonflowers seedlings emerge within a few days and I have healthy, trans-potable plants within a week or so. They have done great in pots which prevents them from taking over the whole garden.

On Apr 10, 2010, himothra from Sarasota, FL wrote:

I'm conflicted, but trying again. I grew these from seed last year with magnificent results. The sprouts appeared within days and I had flowers within weeks. Huge, breathless white bigger than my hand. Texture is sinfully sensual, a cross between leather and satin. Truly. HOWEVER the only reason they lived while they lived was constant watering...I'm zone 9/10 and my plantings are all highly drought tolerant. Last year's vines didn't last water weaning. So I will try again, likely in the same place so they get lots of sun but not incinerated in the afternoon/evening. Will research rainwater collection vs. mosquito breeding.

On Mar 27, 2010, clpgirl from Chippewa Lake, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

First year WS, and WS'd Moonflower seeds. Boy, are they happy! Germinated within several weeks, which inclulded temps ranging from 25 to 75 deg.,sun, rain, snow and sleet. So for zones 5/6 , Moonflower vine is a real winner to WS.

On Jan 23, 2010, CrabgrassCentrl from New Milford, CT wrote:

As a novice gardener, I stuck a couple of donated seed in a pot here in Zone 5/6 on a sunny deck in summer 09. I didn't know to crack the seed's shell, but I got a seedling at the beginning of June. It was a slow grower, probably because of the cold, horribly wet June weather last year, but it was about 6" tall at the end of August, and I moved it indoors because I didn't think it would be hardy here. In a southern window, it's growing like mad and is about to pop about 8 blossoms in January, a pleasant surprise in the dead of winter!

On Oct 20, 2009, Pixelicious from Arecibo, CA (Zone 12b) wrote:

I live in a mediterranean climate (about 30 miles SE of San Francisco) and planted three vines into a large clay pot on my back deck. Mostly due to poor soil conditions in the garden and secondly because I didn't want this plant to take over.

It has been about 3-4 months and the plant is vining nicely with a lot of buds, but it is evident they are in the early stages and it could be another month before I see an actual bloom. Considering the subdued light we get here (in a valley) it is where I expected to be in growth.

I am hoping that I will not have to replant next year with some careful strategies such as moving it inside in our work space where skylights let in plenty of light and it will be protected from high winds and the cold. I was wondering if anyon... read more

On Oct 17, 2009, nemos_angel1 from Bricelyn, MN wrote:

my mom planted moonflowers in our front yard, and being as we live in southern mn and the weather is kinda harsh at times it took two years for the flowers to actually grow. but when they did they were beautiful.

On Sep 21, 2009, lisaonthelake from Burlington

I live in Southern Ontario, near Hamilton and have had success with growing this vine planted in two long, rectangular containers and up a trellis that is anchored to my balcony wall. I have always purchased the plant from garden centres because I've always had trouble finding the seed pods on the vine. This seems odd because I grow 'Grandpa Otts' morning glory and have no problem finding and harvesting those every year. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Aphids of every colour were brutal this year, but they didn't discriminate and just try to eat my moonflower vine, they ate everything!
Also, people are mentioning a lovely scent that comes from the flowers. I have grown this vine every summer for three years now and have yet to have smelled much at all from a single... read more

On Jul 31, 2009, camberwelbeauty from Winchester, VA wrote:

I think it will be positive! Purchased an inexpensive pack of seeds this spring. Soaked them, planted them in the ground with waiting trellis! We have the most magnificent vine, fuzzy leaves the size of dinner plates. No flowers yet - when should we expect their arrival? We have had a lot of rain this year, but also warm - wasn't sure if certain conditions would hold up the blooming process. Every morning I am peering into this vine to see if any buds are appearing, what I think is a bud ends up being another tendril of vine! But am enjoying the beautiful greenery and will certainly pursue if we're not successful with blooms this time.
Any advice most welcome! (I've just joined this website)

On Jul 13, 2009, khabbab from lahore
Pakistan (Zone 10b) wrote:

There was a time, this vine was not easy to find/propagate but now its seeds are easily available. I had got a grown plant last year in a clay pot of 12 inched. It bloomed in september-november. Fragrant blooms and they open in 45 seconds(i made video too). In morning opened blooms wilt. This is an evergreen vine which spreads fast. Easy to grow from seed. from April-June, blooms are not very fragrant and flower does not open fully. From july onwards this vine comes to its own.

On Jun 25, 2009, terrora wrote:

I know what you mean, I have tried on several occasions to grow them from seed. This late spring they sprouted and now winding up a home made trellis. I'm growing them in a pot with nasturtiums. They get full sun and I have kept them moist up until about a week ago. I treat them like their cousins, the morning glories and I'm confident they will bloom when they're ready. When they do I will post an image.

Don't give up, happy gardening!

On May 11, 2009, belwoodbum1 from Freelton

I have been growing this beautiful vine from seed, for a few years here in southern Ontario (Hamilton area). It is a very strong, lush vine and the flowers are huge and they have a really great scent.
The only problem is that they need a good head start inside or else it is very late in the summer or fall that they bloom. I find that they need a lot of sun and warmth.
An awsome vine.
Liz

On Apr 11, 2009, danamark from Newport News, VA wrote:

About getting them to sprout ...have not read all the comments.. too long a list... so this maybe a repeat... these seeds have a very hard shell. You need to slightly put a crack in them with a hammer. Try putting and old rag over them and hitting them lightly. You need the rag because they are so hard they shoot off in some direction when struck. They can fly back up in your face, so use caution/eye protection. Kind of like hitting a steel ball bearing. You may hit too hard and destroy the seed. Just try another. You just want a good hairline crack . This lets the water in. I have never had a problem starting them. In my neck of the woods lunar moths seem to like these flowers.

On Mar 17, 2009, DMgardener from (Daniel) Mount Orab, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

I direct sowed these plants in early June 2007. The most unusual trait is the HUGE seed leaves. They were each at least a full square inch in area and were heavily wrinkled. It grew somewhat slow compared to other ipomoeas. BUT, in october '07 it reveled its first BIG bloom. The fragrance is unforgetable. It did not start blooming until 2 days before the first frost. My consenus: start early!

On Jan 19, 2009, altoclef from Los Altos, CA wrote:

Los Altos, California

I have purchased a package of moonflower seeds every year for the last ten years. I have planted them in different parts of the garden and in pots. Not one has so much as sprouted.

We have a permanent population of blue morning glories. Sometimes I think the moonflowers turned into morning glories.

On Oct 20, 2008, Igor3125 from Toronto, ON (Zone 4a) wrote:

This is the best plant I have ever grown! It grows just about anywhere and has the coolest looking leaves, flowers and seed pods. It needs very little room for it's roots and usually needs two cups a day.
It's easy too manage too. Just give it a string to climb somewhere and it looks great. I am a begginer at gardening but I strongly recomend people to grow this vine.

On Oct 19, 2008, Mellynuss from Edinburg, TX wrote:

Fellow tropical gardeners (Zone 10) --
Is this plant really serious about wanting full sun? I have several semi-shady trellises that I need to have covered, so I'd rather plant it in the shade. But it is so beautiful that I would be willing to take up a sunny trellis with it. Has anyone had luck with it in the shade?

On Sep 17, 2008, darylmitchell from Saskatoon, SK (Zone 3a) wrote:

Moonflower's been a total bust for me. I tried to grow them from seed initially... only 1 of 10 seeds germinated, and it died shortly after I planted it in the ground. Another year I bought them as bedding plants... they grew very slowly up the trellis before gradually dying off, never having produced a single flower. I think maybe this climate is just too cold for moonflower... even though its relative, Morning Glory, seems to do fine.

On Sep 16, 2008, patandfritz from Gowanda, NY wrote:

I grew the Moon Flowers this summer. I have them in front of my house getting the full morning sun until after high noon. I got 2 flowers on one batch of plants and one on the other. No flowers since. The one that had two flowers has taken on a life of its own. It has grown full and lush and gone everywhere! The other stayed small and has all these pod like things shaped somewhat like a crown with points sticking out of the top. I have no clue what happened here. I sure didn't get a lot of blooms though.

On Aug 12, 2008, mrgiddes from West Hollywood, CA wrote:

I started my vines in January here in Los Angeles, California and they were very, very slow to start. They grew about 2 feet in 6 months. but then about a month ago they went absolutely crazy and grew several inches per day. The foliage that grew in the 1st 6 months is much like that of a morning glory. This foliage continues to grow. Further down the vine I started to get several new branches. The new foliage is almost identical to sweet potato. I thought that I had 2 different plants until I tracked the vine back to a fork in the vine and both types of foliage are from the same vine. I have looked at the photos and they show either 1 type or the other. Very curious.

On Jun 30, 2008, ricoandlilysmom from Cedar Lake, IN wrote:

Ipomoea alba.........what a romantic beauty!
I've grown them for years and have never been disappointed.
A heavenly fragrance and an moonlit flower!

On May 14, 2008, Rustydog75 from Jackson, MS wrote:

I have been growing moonflowers in Jackson, Mississippi for several years now, always with spectacular results. They seem to do best with morning light, but that might simply be because I've only had an eastern exposure in which to grow them. I also plant the vines much closer together than recommended (again, this also might be because my space is limited), which they don't seem to mind at all. Like most vines, they like their roots cool and deep. I soak the seeds overnight to soften the hulls and then slit them with an exacto knife before planting.

On Apr 23, 2008, londonchic from Sandusky, OH wrote:

Hey,
I live in Sandusky Ohio, northern Ohio, and this plant does well here, but dies completely out in the winter. I tried planting a bunch of different things last summer, but I considered the Moonvine to be my greatest success.
I soaked the seeds 2 nights in a bowl of water to soften the shell. Than planted them in a small containers with very LIGHT potting soil, and set them in the sun. Watering one to two times a day in hotter weather. I let them mature a bit,(at least a long vine and some leaves), before transplanting in the ground. this is important. Because the light potting soil, and allowing them to develop large leaves and some vines, I noticed, by the end of it, produced MUCH MORE blooms.
I didn't end up getting blooms until fall, though, August/September... read more

On Apr 16, 2008, CurtisJones from Longmont, CO wrote:

From your friends at Botanical Interests: Moonflower is an annual 10'-20' vine, related to Morning Glories. It's 5"-6" huge white flowers bloom from mid-summer to first fall frost. Unlike, their morning-blooming relatives, Moonflower's twisted buds unfurl at dusk. It is deliciously fragrant with large heart-shaped leaves. Plant this fast growing vine on the front porch, deck, patio, or under a window where you can enjoy its evening performance and heady fragrance. Watch as the flowers unfold in 2-3 minutes!

On Apr 13, 2008, jbond1717 from McMinnville, TN wrote:

This is a romantic plant that is just right for planting at the base of a fence or trellis near your patio. I have no problem getting Moonflower to germinate here in Middle Tennessee but do soak the seeds for 24 hours before planting. Mine do better if mulched with leaf compost and watered frequently. I also companion plant "Cardinal Climbers" and "Morning Glory", making a beautiful combination of colors on my trellis.

On Apr 3, 2008, latelybloomin77 from Kilgore, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have just heard of this plant from this site. I ran out and bought seeds. Hearing all the great descriptions, I am so looking forward to planting seeds and seeing amazing results!! I got a lot of helpful info from here, being that I'm new to gardening. Thanks!

On Mar 30, 2008, Louannie wrote:

Those of you who are have the woody plant with the spiky seedpods do not have Ipomoea alba, but instead you have Datura. Do a search of the Plant Files on Datura and you will find more information.

I'm rating it positive only because my mother has had success with these (ipomoea). Hers were absolutely beautiful, two years in a row. I've failed with them twice, and I'm trying again, one last time! I've planted seeds already and am waiting for them to come up. My problem was not enough sun. My mom had hers where they got sun from morning till afternoon, then they were shaded from the hottest evening sun by the house and trees. I'm putting these this year where they'll get more sun, but they won't be close to the house where I can enjoy them more!

I've n... read more

On Mar 21, 2008, oscarkat01 from Rochester, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I had great luck in Maryland growing Moon Flower from seed (7a). My luck directly from seed has been average here. They tend to flower very late into the summer season, usually late August or beginning of Sept. The store bought one I put in flowered at least a month earlier. It was also stronger and flowered more often. This year I started seeds to grow good sized plants to put out. I hope this will work better.

On Jan 6, 2008, art_n_garden from Colorado Springs, CO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I love this plant but it does not do well in my zone/climate/short growing season in central Colorado. I started the seeds inside very early to give them a head start(Feb or March). Once I put them outside (late May) it took FOREVER to get going and it ended up blooming only a handful of blooms before our first hard frost (early Oct) so it never got seed pods set. It does great in Houston though (used to live there) with humidity and a long growing season.

On Nov 9, 2007, dburney from Kerrville, TX wrote:

great plant! Took a while for it to start blooming, but when it did, it went nuts! I planted maybe 4-6 seeds directly in the ground under a 4ft fence and had as many as 50 blooms at one time! just today I got some of the seeds out of the pods and have probably 500 seeds.

On Nov 6, 2007, MsDepp from Murfreesboro, TN wrote:

I planted 4 moonvines seeds this spring. It took a while for them to get started but when they did. WOW! The plant covered the railing on one side of my wooden deck. I had as many as 40 blooms each evening. They would open around 4:00PM and still be open the next morning. Large white blooms. I didn't notice much fragance from my blooms. But they are beautiful. Actually still blooming now in November her in Tennessee. I will cut down as soon as frost starts to kill it. I don't think it will re-seed since I'm in zone 6.

On Nov 3, 2007, 60_wings from Salisbury, NC wrote:

Two years ago I bought a moon vine plant from a local nursery and planted it around a bluebird house on a 4x4. The soil was not the greatest and the plant only produced a few mediocre blooms. So I decided to buy a pack of seeds last spring and plant them around my deck. From 5 seeds came this "jack & the beanstalk" plant with the most beautiful blooms I had ever seen each late afternoon. Some nights there would be 100+ blooms. The Sphinx moths would come out and what a sight. I think I have gotten more pleasure out of this plant than any I have ever planted and will definitely do it again next year. It took over the arbor at the end of my deck, grew underneath and came up on the 2nd set of steps and was just glorious.

I watered heavily and fertilized with MG liquid ea... read more

On Oct 30, 2007, dragonflydreams from Wilmington, NC (Zone 8b) wrote:

the flowers are beautiful,i planted them at my front porch ,and opened the windows.they made the house smell great and i got lots of complements from everyone ,the only bad thing is they attract wasps, lots of them. i got stung several times. so next year they will go on the fence.

On Oct 2, 2007, nolafwug from Metairie, LA wrote:

This was one of the first plants I ever grew. I've found Moonflowers very easy here in Southeast Louisiana at least. I love them because they grow fast and they are so big - the leaves and the flowers are both gigantic.

I bought a pack of seeds (lasted two years) and soaked them in wet paper towels on a plate until they sprouted. Then I put each sprout in a little peat pellet. They got big fast and then I stuck them into a bed I had prepared by simply digging up the grass, turning the soil, and sprinkling some potting soil and peat moss over the top (I was a beginner then, sorry). There was a lattice at the back of the bed for the vine to grab onto. At first I watered them every morning but when life got hectic and my garden was neglected these guys did well still. They grow... read more

On Sep 30, 2007, gardenbugde from Smyrna, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

I've grown Moonvine in the past and was so disappointed by it. I decided to give it one more try this year and I'm so glad I did! I put 2 plants at the bottom of my porch railing and they've been wonderful, blooming like crazy and smelling so sweet! Too bad we can't bottle that scent! LOL The only downside is the wasps- they love the sweet milky sap that's trapped inside the buds and they are all over them. I also have a few moonvine plants at my back deck- climbing over a trellis that was relocated after a storm ripped it out of the ground. I love sitting out there with my beautiful white flowers. Hoping for lots of seeds to share, and also to use next year.

Update on August 31, 2008

This plant fails to disappoint! It seems here in zone 7a, it takes until A... read more

On Sep 29, 2007, lee_ro from Raleigh, NC wrote:

(Raleigh, NC zone 7)
I found this kind of moonflower vine while searching for a different kind of moonflower that I've only seen in my mom & dad's yard in Pennsylvania. The moonflowers growing in my parents' garden come back each and every year for over the last decade, and aren't vines. Whatever they are, they have spiky seed balls, and produce white, heavenly trumpets every summer night into fall. Can't get the seeds from mom and dad's plants to grow here and haven't been able to find established plants here... This spring I bought a pack of Ipomoea moonflower seeds out of curiosity, to see if they'd be anything like the lovely scented blooms I was so familiar with.

I have been delighted with my moonflower vine! It's not the same as the moonflower I grew up w... read more

On Sep 25, 2007, Vinegirl from Baltimore, MD wrote:

I'm very new to gardening, and just started planting moonflowers last year. I bought a plant from a nursery last year, but this year I also started some from seeds. Now they're going nuts! I had 11 blooms last night, and I absolutely love them. My boyfriend and I pull up chairs and sit and watch the flowers open. My cats like to watch, too. What an incredibly beautiful flower, and the vines have covered the lattice around my patio very nicely. I have morning glories next to them, and they're all doing very well.

On Sep 23, 2007, Morticia911 from Ludington, MI wrote:

I have a plant similar that my father called a moonflower, but it grows more like small tree...than a vine. The flowers are similar but smaller ....and open at dusk also. They have a sort of bluish/purple tint, but don't seem to have the strong aroma like the big white ones. It also grows spiny seed pods...many many of them.

On Sep 16, 2007, Nightdreem from Laurel, DE wrote:

A neighbor gave me some small Moonflower seedlings this past spring, But the type I have seem different from the vines that I just read about. Mine are about 3-4 feet tall and very thick sturdy stems, they have large green spiny seed pods the size of golf balls, no vining habit at all, just sturdy shrub like plants. If anyone has any info on this type Id sure appreciate it. Id also like to find the vine variety. Mine has bloomed profusely all summer with little or no attention here in Laurel DE.

On Sep 14, 2007, SimbiDlo from Snyder, TX wrote:

This is my second year to try and grow this and I finaly was able to get it going! In fact, just now I watched the very first flower bloom! That was deffinately a treat! It smells great! I will deffinately be growing these again, and again, and again.

On Sep 14, 2007, taterslady from Dallas, TX wrote:

I have never been so amazed by a plant/flower in my life. I am in awe every night it blooms. The most blooms we have had on one of our plants is 9 in one night, and that has happened twice.....so far. I have over 400 pictures in our Moon Flower file and I do not see it getting any smaller. We are going to have so many seeds ffrom just one of our plants, we are going to give them away in our Christams cards.
As far as growing tips, lots of sun , lots of love, and a little luck is all you need. The 2 plants that we have in our back yard came up all by themselves. A gift from the grave if you will. They were Grandmom's favorite and have not grown for years. We recently got married and believe the moon vines are a small blessing and approval from someone special. Anyway that ... read more

On Sep 3, 2007, Fairy1004 from (bestest fairy)Temperance, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I was told that what I have is moonflower. However, mine is not a vine and has very thick stems w/ prickly seed pods. VERY fragrant @ night and are the size of a plate when they bloom. They are about 3ft. tall. If anyone knows what this is if it not moonflower, please let me know. It seems to fit all of the characteristics except it is not a vine.
THANKS!!!!

On Sep 1, 2007, 73stingray from Aiken, SC wrote:

Our pods are about 3-4 inches in length and green; they appear to be about to open.

On Aug 24, 2007, 34angela from Huntington Beach, CA wrote:

This was a plant I have always known about, but did not grow till 3 years ago. My neighbor gave me the seeds. I soaked them overnight, then planted in a pot. They take awhile to germinate. In fact I gave up on some this year, and "dumped" them out. Three weeks later they came up
in the garden! They love the Hot, they love the sun.
The nighttime flowers are lovely.

On Aug 23, 2007, cececoogan from Waukesha, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I planted Moon Vine for the very first time this year. I love it! It took a while to get started but once it did it just took off. It is flowering for me now and the blooms are huge! They have a faint fragrance and the coverage is unbelievable. You can barely see my trellis' at all(I have them on two 1-in ground 1-in a whiskey barrel on the patio. I will definately plant them out again. The fact they re-sow may be a positive for me.

On Aug 19, 2007, sassyfras from Mount Juliet, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

I bought a packet of seeds of blue moonflower. (I have grown the white also). Oh and what I have reaped from this little pack of seeds! It is VERY aggressive and invasive. It took over our deck. It freaked me out, consuming our deck lights to the point where you couldn't see them. The vine wasn't very fragrant. I thinned it out so many times. I grew to hate it.I finally just pulled it all up (an all day job). It had not set seeds yet. But it still came back. Every day I would see a shoot. Three years later I am still pulling this stuff up. I don't think it will ever go away. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they are ready for total coverage

On Aug 10, 2007, sunnytop56 from Lincoln, NE (Zone 5a) wrote:

I can't grow this plant. I have tried 3 years without success. I put them directly in the ground, soaked them several days until they cracked open, planted them indoors in pots. They did come up indoors and looked great until I transplanted them outside in the spring in a protected planter/trellis. I give up!

On Aug 9, 2007, upsydaisy from Rochester, IN wrote:

I have loved this plant since I was a child. I was born in Louisiana, and lived in New Orleans, where we had a moonflower vine for several years. The scent in the evening is unbelievable.

I've lived in north-central Indiana now for thirty-five years, and plant Moonflower seeds about every year. I don't nick the seeds...I soak them overnight before planting in trays in late February. then move them to a covered patio to harden off after the last frost. They're fast-growers, and by mid-summer, they've covered my trellis from one side to the other and half-way back again.

On Jul 19, 2007, Lalasland from Midland City, AL wrote:

I planted moonflower seeds this year for the first time. I planted them directly in the ground after nicking and soaking them, as is suggested. I thought it would never come up, but when it did, the thing went ballistic. It's starting to get a "Little Shop of Horrors" feel to it; I'm afraid to stand too close or turn my back. If you don't mind a vine with dreams of world domination, go ahead and plant it, otherwise you might want to rethink it. I haven't experienced the flowers yet. I would have thought that it would have bloomed by now. Many plants here in southeast Alabama are starting to '"poop out" by now. I haven't lost hope for the blooms, yet, though. I noticed that a few other folks in my neck of the woods have had late blooms, so we'll see.

On Jun 19, 2007, lightningbug from Buffalo, MN wrote:

Lightning bug in Rockford, MN

I grew this vine per my Mama's recommendation around my deck in North Carolina and they were superb! The blooms kept coming. I now live in Minnesota and have tried to sow seeds outdoors in ground for 3 yrs and this year I've gotten three seedlings out of about 20 seeds. I've transplanted to a large pot at the bottom of my deck and so far have 1 vigorous climber and 1 hopeful, 1 not doing much at all. I pray that I get a couple of flowers this year which will help me to feel a little closer to home. Keep your fingers crossed for me and I will update in a couple of months. If this works, I think I will plant each year along any old fence along our country roads as a surprise for northern gardeners in my area.

On Jun 12, 2007, grandma_deal from Tulsa, OK (Zone 6b) wrote:

An elderly couple who lived next door gave me a young Moonflower plant about 25 years ago. The couple has passed on, but the Moonflowers are still going strong. I 've never had to save and plant the seeds or fertilize. If the blossoms slow down I give it a good watering. I really enjoy the flowers - they are at least as large as my hand, spectacularly beautiful and honey bees seem to like them.

On May 6, 2007, HighDiver45 from Prairieville, LA wrote:

Easy to grow in south Louisiana, just below Baton Rouge.
I take no extra care with the seed, just dig hole about 1" deep and drop in seed..... nothing special done beforehand such as soak, scrape, etc. I have had 100% germination success and let vines trail along top of fence. Fun to watch the flowers open late in the evening... start to finish opening takes about 30 seconds... after all the leaves just separate.

On Mar 4, 2007, ccjacko1910 from Crescent City, CA wrote:

this plant grows like a weed in this arewa. We are in the caost redwoods about 1/2 mile from the ocean and each winter they die down and each spring the climb and bloom.
We live in Crescent City, Calif

On Mar 2, 2007, Lily_love from Central, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

Ipomoea alba; is a lovely tender annual here in my 7b zone. Many could be confused with its cousins the 'morning glories', and further more. Some may have mistaken 'datura' with the Moonflower because the similarity in flower-shape. And shared characters i.e. the white trumpet flowers only open at night, or cloudy days. The marked difference, Moonflower are vining habit, and the trunk could be slightly purplish green and big. Whereas 'datura' is a shrub, and is appears to be tender perennual here in my area. Both are lovely and can serve as a beautiful back drop for other colorful plants in the garden. Ipomoea alba do self seed, or grow indoor. The seeds coats are quite tough soaking the seeds (with luke warm water) over night will speed up germination. In my area, some of my left... read more

On Feb 20, 2007, Violalee from Collinsville, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

I planted Moonflowers for the first time last year and was overjoyed with the result. I often entertain on my patio on summer nights, and the moonflowers were a spectacular display. They grew up along stakes against my shed and then spread across the patio on the lantern strings. I had no idea how large the blossoms would be, nor how striking in their simplicity. Even the buds are suprisingly beautiful. They were especially lovely in the early morning beside my just waking Morning glories.

On Jan 20, 2007, dianaraven from Lynbrook, NY wrote:

I have grown moonflowers from seeds for the past 10 years. In all, I have had only 2 seasons where I got little to no luck with them. While they are a bit tough to get going, with the sight and smell (sort of jasmine-like) of these, the effort is worth it.

I recommend starting the seeds indoors, and babying them a little. These are the last plants I transplant outdoors, and move them to the trestle on our deck. As long as they get enough water, they will not disappoint.

On Jan 6, 2007, Tetrazygia from Miami, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Moonflowers (I. alba) are not noxious weeds or even naturalized in Arkansas or Arizona according to the USDA. The Ipomoea alba page also mentions that unspecified members of the genus Ipomoea are considered noxious weeds in Arkansas and Arizona.
If you click on the state name at the bottom of the page, it will give you more information on invasive or noxious species in those states, but I. alba is never mentioned. Arizona considers all members of the genus, with few exceptions, noxious weeds because of their potential to be invasive. It is preventative, but nowhere is it mentioned that moonflowers are themselves invasive. They are native to some areas of the United States.

I do not know what wild plants in other places look like, but in my area of Florida the p... read more

On Oct 5, 2006, babygirl33374 from Lincoln, NE wrote:

This is my first year at attempting gardening. A neighbor gave me some moon flower seeds which I planted in late May. By the middle of July I got beautiful flowers that smelled great. But are there different breeds of moon flowers because my moonflowers are more of a bush than vine and the seed pods are almost scary looking because they are covered with spikes all over it. I planted them around a tree in my backyard with morning glory vines behind them closest to the tree. It turned out ok considering I had no idea what I was doing but, not really what I expected.

On Aug 26, 2006, digital_dave from Springfield, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I assume others are referring to some selected cultivar (with big flowers) of this species. Ipomoea alba (with small white flowers) grows here as a weed and is one of the worst in my veggie garden, very difficult to get rid of. I would have given it a negative but can I be the only one?

The USDA PLANTS Database also shows this plant as a Noxious Weed in Arizona and Arkansas (40 miles to the south). It's hardly #1 in my book!

On Aug 23, 2006, marmie5 from Huntsville, MO wrote:

I am growing moon flowers near Huntsville, Missouri. This year is the first year I have tried them. I had some trouble sprouting them indoors. Only four live plants from the whole packet. The ones that lived are doing great. I will grow them again next year, although based on information from this site it appears that I may have volunteers and that would be great.

On Aug 20, 2006, sunflower2 from Cornelius, OR wrote:

Three or four vines of Moonflower appeared in a large hedge that separates our driveway from the house next door. We watched it climb, grow and bloom beautifully, and it's continued all summer. The soil is kept moist from the shade of the hedge and I'm sure it must be quite good soil to support these volunteers. I would like them to return next year and possibly have some in my gated garden in the yard.

I felt very lucky to find this site. We almost pulled them out. thinking they were some kind of poison ivy, which we have also found in our backyard. We're not sure where that came from either.

On Aug 15, 2006, girldog from Detroit, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

Moonflowers have grown in my front yard for several years - as a perennial, in Detroit, MI. I got them from my Aunt, who has them growing wild in her yard. They seem to multiply every year. They must be re-seeding themselves. The blooms last only one or a few nights, but they grow new ones quickly.

On Aug 7, 2006, lemmons75 from Rock Hill, SC wrote:

I have six Moon Flowers growing in two different pots on my deck.The flowers are as descibed in other peoples comments, very fragrent, and white.To my surprise the flowers only open one time and fall off the next day.I dont think that I do anything wrong but I thought the flowers open again the next night.

On Jul 16, 2006, spete from Marlow, OK (Zone 7b) wrote:

Here in Oklahoma, I start the seeds in peat pots in early March. I nick the seeds and set them right into the planting medium. It has been my experience that they resent repotting, hence the peat pots. They tolerate the heat here, and there is no lovelier smell in the garden. They don't voluteer well, so I plant them every spring.

On Jul 16, 2006, tr3nity from Racine, WI wrote:

This plant surprised the heck out of me when I went out on my mother's deck at midnight and saw it blooming, while it had been dormant all day.

My mother got from my Aunt. They both live near Windsor, Ontario, Canada [Zone 5] and it is thriving (speading like mad!) year after year.

On Jul 9, 2006, dogmansis from Wimberley, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

When I first started growing moonflowers, my youngest daughter was about 4yrs old (fixin' to be 15 next wk!) and we'd sit there and watch the flowers open! It was such a good experience and made such good memories! I plant them every year, never had a problem w/ reseeding and think they smell like HEAVEN! Love 'em!

On Jun 29, 2006, BevHart from Lucama, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I grew mine from seed as well, but I wasn't expecting a "vine" to be so thick! The flowers are coming like crazy, but I know for sure I can't let the seeds self sew or I will be in trouble! This thing is a monster already and I just started it this season. Thinking I will have to transplant to a better location. Flowers haven't as yet given any scent that I can detect.

On Jun 27, 2006, nyyank from Brick, NJ wrote:

I don't know what's going on. The first year, with no experience, I had loads of beautiful moonflowers.

This year, they are growing the green leaves but very spindly with offshoots of tiny sprouting stuff.

On May 30, 2006, kyrose from Bonnieville, KY wrote:

This is my absolute favorite vine. I always save seed, from the year before. I soak seed between wet newspaper to speed germination. I have found, they don't like there roots disturbed so I prefer to plant directly in the ground after danger of frost is past in my region . Once they take off, they fill my trellis fully, the leaves are very attractive and I love the blooms and the fragrance. Loving the outdoors like I do, especially warm summer nights, nothing is better than the sight of the moon vine, the lovely fragrance and a glass of wine! I have submitted a picture, with the spinx moth at the bloom, The first time I saw one of these big moths i thought it was a humming bird with its nights and days mixed up..haha. scared me..I'm wiser now and love to see them enjoy my moon vine as... read more

On May 17, 2006, cloud999 from Washington, DC wrote:

Having issues with Aphids. Bought an insecticide.....but still pinch one or two of those buggers off the half eaten leaves everyday. VERY annoying. The tips of new growth, at the very tip of the vine are black and I am worried that somethng else is worng with my Moonflower.
If anyone has any idea why the new growth is black please let me know.

Thanks,

On May 14, 2006, sonniesue2u from Westland, MI wrote:

Just FYI to all who love Moonflowers(in which I am one). They are MORE than just a little bit toxic, every inch of this plant right down to the root system is HIGHLY TOXIC to dogs and small children. I have had these beauties in my front yard for 15+yrs.I gave some seed to my neighbor and some did come up in back yard (I did tell her that parts of the plant could make the dog sick) at the time I did not know just how toxic they could be. on a hot Aug. afternoon the dog bit at a bee on the flower, we thought he got stung, but that was not the case, in the matter of 10 mins. the dog went into convultions and died, he got a small piece of leaf in his mouth. This was not a small dog either( half Sheppard/Half Rottwieller.he weighed about 125lbs. So PLEASE DO NOT plant these deadly beauties whe... read more

On Apr 26, 2006, NaturzDiva from Natalia, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant is one of my favorites. I soaked the seeds overnight (sometimes 2 days), then put them in jiffy pellets. They sprout within a day or so. They're the "star" attraction for any "moon garden".

On Mar 29, 2006, leo4ever from Bronx, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Hello, I Live in The Bronx , New York. I planted the Moon Flower Vine seeds in my back yard last spring with Morning Glorys (Mixed & Heavenly Blue). I followed the instructions (soaking the seeds in warm water overnight) I planted all the seeds in the ground next to a metal fence ( Very Sunny) .
I wanted privacy & Wow it did the job fantastically. This Plant even grew across my other neighbor fence (she did not mind) & I also have elderly friendly neighbors which they also enjoyed the plant but at times they would snip the plant
( a tad bit)because it would block their entrance to a little gate- path ( I did not mind but it hurt me a little).
This plant grew rapidly, & tremendously beautiful . I received a lot of compliments. I also have a dog(Bichon Frise) & he ... read more

On Mar 9, 2006, SW_gardener from (Zone 6a) wrote:

I've grown this plant for the last few years, the first year the summer was too cool, the second year I planted it and it did well but I missed the blooms because the vines sneaked into my greenhouse and I didn't look in there at night. And last year, I soaked the seeds too long and they rotted. Only soak the seeds over one night! I have a couple left so will try again this year.

On Feb 26, 2006, richa1 from Richmond, VA wrote:

I was able to grow this plant directly from seed (supported by a trellis facing west in my yard). The area received approximately 6-8 hours of direct sunlight daily, which I think was an absolute necessity. This vine is a vigorous grower.....I had a full trellis of foliage within a few weeks. The flowers that opened at night were mildly fragrant and beautiful, but were sometimes outweighed by the 'invasiveness' of this plant. I would literally have to prune this vine back every other day or so, to ensure that it would not overtake other plants in it's area. My next-door neighbor had a metal gazebo right next to the fence that the trellis was placed against....within a day or so, this vine would begin to reach over the fence and wrap around the gazebo. If you even left a shovel again... read more

On Jan 18, 2006, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

Perfect for late-season interest, nighttime companion to morning glories or Lablab. Ideal hottub/patio vine for fragrance. Do not allow to dry out, needs warm weather and a relatively long season.

On Dec 11, 2005, CastIronPlant22 from Lompoc, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

This plant is great, the flower is nice and huge. The seeds took longer than expected to sprout, i even put them in water overnight. It took about month. After they had sprouted, the vine was growing like crazy. I do wish there were other colors besides white. Its very nice though and fast growing. Sometimes i cant find the seeds to buy and sometimes i can.

On Sep 13, 2005, ndeen from Valley Springs, CA wrote:

This is the first time I have tried to grow Moon Vines. I planted them in a very sunny part of my property, I have beautiful vines but so far No flowers.I started them in a wet paper towel in a warm place, all the seeds took off. I Planted them outside within 4 days in June. We have had some pretty HOT days 105, about 3 weeks in a row.

On Sep 12, 2005, mebnme from Ocean Springs, MS wrote:

I plant seeds of this magestic vine every year next to my picket fence. I share seeds with as many people as possible, but for whatever reason, no one seems to appreciate the beauty and benefit this plant is to the environment. I am in awe of the copius amount of sweet smelling blooms it yields and I have a nightly ritual where I stand by my moonflowers at dusk and wait for the hummingbird moths to come and feed on the sweet necture. And feed they do!!!!! I counted 6 in 2 minutes just last night!!! I am able to stand silently near the blossoms and observe God's hand in action!!!! Gardening does that, you know. I am truly blessed by my heavenly moonflowers.

On Jul 27, 2005, Levdrakon from Colorado Springs, CO (Zone 5a) wrote:

I can't, as yet, report that this plant is cultivatable in my coolish micro-climate zone, here on the Monterey Peninsula, CA.

Last year I purchased a packet of seeds, planted them all outdoors, and only one came up. It grew very slowly, spindly, and more or less languished, without ever blooming, until it expired in the fall/winter period.

This year, I've purchased another packet of seeds and am trying to germinate them indoors, where it's warmer. So far, after two weeks, I only have two spouts out of about 14 seeds. I can't even guarantee they're moonflower sprouts, since so far all I have are the two basal leaves.

After reading about this flower, it seems the one thing these plants absolutely require is heat. And by "heat" I mean HOT.
<... read more

On Apr 27, 2005, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Some of my Moonflower vines reseed themselves, but seem to wait until the ambient temperatures are very warm, around June, to germinate in the ground (NE Fla, borderline Zone 8b/9a), then bloom around September to frost. I've also collected and stored Moonflower seeds in plastic containers and stored some of them in the crisper of my refrigerator and some on the tool shed shelf. These vines make a lot of seeds when the vines grow well! Once you have a healthy vine with lots of flowers, you should have seeds to keep and share for a lifetime. I wasn't sure my seeds that were over a year old would germinate, but the ones I have planted this Spring are already up and growing. They seem to germinate quicker when the seeds are from a previous season! I don't do any special preparation of... read more

On Apr 26, 2005, petertan from Singapore
Singapore (Zone 11) wrote:

Hullo. I'm in Singapore, in the tropics, and new to this plant, but I wanted something hardy to grow up a trellis. Amazingly I bought the seeds from England! I planted them mainly in pots a couple of weeks ago, and it's amazing that they're at different levels of growth. In spite of all the information about it doing best in full sun, they seem to do better in part sun in Singapore. I'm now waiting for them to shoot up. I've teamed them up with other varieties like the Tricolour and Grandpa Otts. Cheers, Peter.

On Apr 18, 2005, Kameha from Kissimmee, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Grows wild in Florida and the Carribbean. It grows very fast down here. Tender tropical perennial vine. Heart shaped foliage attractive as well. Wonderfully fragrant enormous blooms at night, they smell like gardenias except more subtle. The smell of moonflowers is evident when walking on Florida beaches at night...the warm breezes and the wonderful scent.

On Jan 29, 2005, bonnielass from Salem, SC (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have grown this plant on lattice at my back door for four or five years. I may have as many as thirty blooms in an evening, and the fragrance is wonderful. You can actually watch these blooms open. The seed need to be soaked for germination.

On Jan 28, 2005, Phytodealer from Brasília
Brazil wrote:

Ipomoea alba is a very hardy plant and, unlike many people believe, it does not need any fertilizer, just regular watering and something to twine around. The origin of this plant is uncertain but it's naturalized in many marshy sites of tropical areas. Can be propagated from root stocks and seeds and when doing so always remember to scarify seeds and plant it in well drained soil. The calyx teeth, when green, are edible in soups and the huge white flowers attract hawk moths( sphincidae family) at night, i personaly think it's worth watching it!

On Nov 15, 2004, Laceyab from La Porte, TX wrote:

I have been growing this plant for the last 4+ years. I first started growing it on a chainlink fence and then 3 years ago I upgraded and built a huge arbor that it grows up every year with other vines that I grow. It is very easy to grow once it gets started, I have found out that in texas if I plant it in february it won't grow very much but if I wait and grow it when summer is beginning in may or june it thrives and really takes off in nothing flat. It doesn't start blooming until august or september when I plant it so late.
But in my experience if I wait until the heat arrives then it grows otherwise if I plant it earlier in the season it grows a couple of inches and just stays at that height until the heat comes.
As far as taking care of it I purchase the seeds ev... read more

On Nov 3, 2004, FranciscoSantos from Brasília
Brazil wrote:

This is an interesting plant that can also be grown from rootings, spontaneous seedlings may be collected at vacant lots during rainy season and planted as well. Needs care for it not to become weedy; its flowers open at night with a sweet scent attracting bats.

On Oct 21, 2004, redhairedgirl from Walls, MS (Zone 8a) wrote:

My Mom got these seeds from a friend of my daughter-in-law.
We all live in the same area of northwest Mississippi. When she planted the seeds, she wasn't even sure how to nuture the plant, or exactly what it would look like. She planted in two spots, and now she has a lovely vine trailing up the wrought iron post and across a string at the side of her carport. Another vine makes its way up an old clothesline post. There are several beautiful, glowing white flowers each evening, with a distinct but delicate aroma. Both vines are brimming with seed pods, which I think are interestingly beautiful. She wasn't sure about how to harvest the seeds, but I have found that information on this site!

On Oct 12, 2004, oscarkat from (Zone 7a) wrote:

I live in Maryland between DC and Baltimore zone 6b. I grew moon flowers on my deck in a container. I didn't do anything but put a few seeds in a mix of potting soil and peat moss. They grew like crazy up stakes in the pot and through my whole railing. I had numerous flowers from late july until the end of September. I grew mine in part sun. I had to water frequently but that was it. The smell was intoxicating.

On Oct 10, 2004, Xochitl from San Diego, CA wrote:

I planted a seed (started it in a pot with a plastic w/holes poked in it covering it, placed in pretty direct sunlight), on 10/3/04. It just sprouted the day before yesterday. I'm veeery new at gardening and am happy that I got anything at all (I know I know, I'm starting a little late). So, I took the plastic off of the pot today, and I hope it doesn't die, as it is getting colder and colder. I planted it with a morning glory but I haven't seen that sprout yet.

On Sep 30, 2004, NativePlantFan9 from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

A very beautiful native vine found in open wet grassy fields, edges of swamps, marshes, and wetlands, pine flatwoods and other open or wet areas in the Southeastern U.S. Has a very nice, attractive scent that may attract wildlife - I wonder if it attracts hummingbirds! Probably attracts pollinating insects. The flower is very beautiful, luminous and white - I really love it and its scent! I'd recommend it for any garden, including native plant or wildlife gardens! This is one of my favorite native plants, even though I havn't yet attempted to grow it.

On Sep 13, 2004, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

Love my moonflowers...... very pretty..... too bad they open only at night..... but mine don't bloom too late...... still light enough to see very well...... around 4 OR 5 SOMETIMES 6 OCLOCK..... worth it even though they bloom late...... easy to grow to start seeds soak untill they swell or chip...... grows in many soils..... full to part sun...... or part shade...... the flowers resemble a dress..... a white dress like a bride..... do bad you can't use them in wedding arrangements..... they look like a bride's dress because they are pure white.... satiny and billow and flutter in the breeze...... the have a pretty cream star in the middle..... the blooms are LARGE...... I don't think this is stated enough.... not the size of a morning glory...... much bigger..... almost as big as a DINN... read more

On Sep 12, 2004, Elemental_Fool from Takoma Park, MD wrote:

Our Moonflower vine started blooming around July, and around Mid-August, we noticed something odd. It had started to develop DIFFERENT LEAVES! They were definetely a part of the same plant! I don't understand why this happened, but don't pull the plant with different leaves! It may very well be the same type.

On Aug 28, 2004, susaned from Paducah, KY wrote:

I live in Paducah KY (western end) and was given a moon vine by a neighbor... This is my first exposure to the plant, as I had never heard of it before... The vine is hardy and tonight (8/28/04) my curiosity has been rewarded with a MOST spectacular bloom! After visiting this site, I realized I missed the best part - watching it open up... happily the vine is just loaded with blossems, another looks ready to pop tommorrow night. You can guess where I'll be at dusk! Susan

On Aug 20, 2004, wilsong from Rock Hill, SC wrote:

I planted my vine from seed in April and had to wait until late July for blooms, but they have been well worth the wait. The vine was huge and lush and I thought it would never bloom, but finally I now have several flowers every night. I wouldn't mind if it produced volunteers next year so I am not worried about deadheading for that reason.

On Aug 17, 2004, blugld from Fort Mill, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I, like several others, have had great luck growing a vine. It has heart shaped leaves and I have 4-6 in 2 lg. pots.one on either side of an arch. I planted seeds last year too and I have yet to see a single bloom. Something came up beside one of the pots and I thought it had reseeded from last year because it also had heart shaped leaves too, so I started it up the arch but suddenly it seems to be a stronger vine and the leaves changed and are kind of pointed with a little part jutting out each side; I guess kind of like a maple. I water both pots every time the leaves are wilting and have even started using blue water. It has been planted since May.

On Jul 29, 2004, moongate9 from Waverly, IL wrote:

I purchased some moonflower seeds from a local retail store, not sure what to expect in our Central Illinois climate. After planting every seed in the package, I was surprised to have almost all of them quickly sprout. Due to the large number, several were given away to family and friends, while I planted three in my own garden. They have had no problem overtaking the trellace that I purchased, and are now reaching for the bedroom window! I keep looking, and finally found some tiny little beginnings of buds today. These are gorgeous, interesting plants! I anticipate the flowers and now hope to grow them every year!

On Jul 23, 2004, conniecola from Lincoln, NE wrote:

I have tried to grow this plant but with no luck. I really want it to grow so I can smell the flowers at night while I am on my deck. I purchased some of the plants already started, online from a seed company, and so far are doing okay

Update October 12, 2004

I FINALLY got some blooms on my Moon Flower! It took my breath away! It was a perfect shaped flower, but the best part was the wonderful fragrance! I had been trying for 3-4 years to get one to grow, and this is one I got from a seed company off the internet. the Summer here was so awful, with way too much rain, and not enough sunshine. So it bloomed in September, because it was hotter than it had been all Summer long, here in Lincoln, Nebraska.

On Jul 20, 2004, CatskillKarma from West Kill, NY wrote:

I grow moonflowers up the railing of my stoop in Brooklyn, NY. They need warm soil to sprout, so I plant them on Memorial Day weekend after soaking and nicking. They usually don't flower until Labor Day weekend, but the leaves make a beautiful thick green screen and the flowers are so spectacular all through September and October that they are worth the wait. They grow with wild abandon on almost no nutrients in a small planter at the base of a brick wall, climbing on a grid of nylon net up to the cast iron stoop railing. Many get over two stories tall, with little fertilizer, although they do require a lot of water. The flowers are large, not as fragrant as advertised, but do open while you watch in the evening, despite a plethora of street lights all around. They are very popular with ev... read more

On Jul 19, 2004, keefus030 from Conneaut, OH wrote:

I live in Conneaut, Ohio, extreme northeast part and the moonflower grows well.

On Jun 2, 2004, WEBB from Truro
wrote:

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and I have a plant in my garden which I was told was a Moon flower.It grows about 8 inches high, and has a yellow flower which looks something like the evening primrose. The leaf is long and narrow and looks very much like a dandilion leaf, but the leaf is not as wide. It blooms at dusk , and you can watch it split open ever so slowly, and the flower opens up, then by morning it has wilted. Can you tell me what it is. It is such a fascinating plant, and it is hardy in zone 5A.

On May 13, 2004, LynneSun from Cape Town
wrote:

I live in Cape Town, South Africa, and have just bought a Moonflower vine plant. It's still in its black bag but it's already about 6 feet tall and flowering profusely. I've never seen this creeper in SA before & want to make sure I plant it in the right position. My back garden has lots of morning sun (facing east) and afternoon sun (facing south). In front there's afternoon sun (facing west) and down the side I get more or less all-day sun (facing south). Our climate's Mediterranean - right now it's supposed to be late autumn/early winter and temps are ranging from lows of 12 to highs of 27 deg C. It's a winter rainfall area.

On Apr 25, 2004, Bemhawk from Sterling, VA wrote:

I live in Northern Virginia and have been planting Moonflowers from seed every spring for the past seven years. By early July I have huge vines and tons of blooms. Before planting I soak the seeds overnight and clip just a little bit of the seed off with dog nail trimmers. I usually have little sprouts in 5 days. After about a month the plant is a foot tall. They go crazy here.

On Apr 23, 2004, joyjen72 from Fairview Heights, IL wrote:

I planted moonflowers while I was living in Kansas. They grew well with large heart-shaped leaves like a morning glory but bigger, and the flowers were fragrant, huge and attracted hummingbird moths at night. I now live in California and have planted seeds on the south side of my house to help provide shade when it's hot. I'm hoping I have the same success here as I had in Kansas even though the soil is completely different. :)

On Apr 15, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

I love the moonflower vine and we have been growing them for years. They seem to be very forgiving vines as they reward us with gorgeous blooms and heavenly scent and we hardly have to give them any care. Even here in Hawaii, they will die down in "winter", but come next spring, the volunteer seedlings will be back up. We save seeds to include them in our yearly Christmas gift baskets we prepare for friends in our area.

On Apr 14, 2004, argentina from Fort Pierce, FL wrote:

Grew them in Fort Pierce, Florida (USDA Zone 9), from seed. Soaked for 24 hrs in warm water, slow until June, bloomed end of July and covered a whole arbor 6'x10', and zillion of flowers opening in the evening. The fragance is amazing.

My only concern was the zillion seeds if they would sprout next spring and become a pest. So far they have not sprouted all over. Will keep you posted. We did have a very light frost this winter.
Argentina

On Apr 14, 2004, herbman75 from Cornelia, GA wrote:

My experience with this plant is extensive. This cousin of the morning glory thrives as an annual vine here in zone 7b, north of Atlanta. I grow this vine at the end of my driveway on a picket fence in heavy clay soil. Anyone having problems getting this plant to bloom should quit fertilizing. The same is true for morning glories. Over-fertilization will cause an abundance of vegetative growth and drastically reduce flowering. I also try to water as little as possible. Don't baby this plant and you will get better results.

On Apr 5, 2004, kimberlen from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I started this from seed about two months ago. They are growing much faster than the white morning glory seeds I started to plant with them. I've read that the two vines grow fine with each other, and that way, you have flowers both night and day. They are in a sunny east window, where they'll be planted beneath. I was surprised by how strong the seedlings are.

On Sep 20, 2003, kiwigirl wrote:

Several years ago I was introduced to and immediately intrigued by this plant. However, my first attempt to grow it from seed failed miserably - it just didn't gow. I made another effort this year and had better luck ... the vine grew, but not one flower appeared. I live in Southeastern Massachusetts, began the plant indoors prior to summer and it had looked quite vigorous. I planted it in the ground and the vine grew, but absolutely no blooms.

On Sep 8, 2003, aloe24 from Greeley, CO (Zone 6a) wrote:

Just wanted to share with you that this plant will also grow in Colorado! My parents moved to a new house, and this strange plant started growing in one of their flower boxes. I urged them to pull it up, thinking it had to be a weed, but they left it to see what it might be. Now it is a huge, 3-4' tall bushy plant, with beautiful dark green leaves and huge white flowers.

They have really enjoyed it, and neighbors come from all around to take pictures of it. It is in a large flowerbox on the north side of the house, and it only gets a little sun in the morning, so that goes against the 'full sun' tip. I know my Dad keeps it well watered - he rarely lets his flowers dry out at all. The flower planter is very large - probably 4'x 2' - so maybe that is the secret: it needs... read more

On Aug 25, 2003, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I can't grow this plant! Last year I tried growing it in the ground, and none came up. This year I am growing them in a hanging basket and they are doing poorly - no blooms and foliage is light green and barely spilling over side of pot.

I so want to sit on my porch in the summer and smell this night-time glory; I will try once more next year!

On Aug 19, 2003, PaisleyPat from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

I started Moonflower Vines seeds indoors 8 weeks before last frost here in Minneapolis, Minnesota (U.S.) and planted them out in full sun on June 1. They quickly covered a 4 X 10 foot trellis and bloomed profusely from August 1 until the first frost. Several of my neighbors now grow them every summer, but I found that I prefer Datura because I don't have to fight to get them to germinate. (When I get a backache from bending over planting seeds, I want the heating pad on my back, not under the moonflower seeds! lol)

On Aug 18, 2003, BrownishThumb from Altoona, PA wrote:

I planted seeds last spring (oops should have planted in fall!) and this summer my plant sprouted and grew to three feet tall! It's first flower bloomed the second week of August! It's doing tremendous for a Mexican plant in Pennsylvania!

On Aug 13, 2003, kathy33 wrote:

This is the first year I have planted moon vines. They are in a large pot on my front porch with full sun. The flowers are lovely but am wondering about the vine. The leaves keep turning yellow and dropping yet I see new growth where the leaves fell off...The vine, at present, looks quite bare of leaves. I am in hardiness zone 6b so this vine is an annual here. We are having a hot humid summer and the vine has grown very nicely.

On Aug 6, 2003, April27 wrote:

I brought two starts of this plant from Charleston, South Carolina (U.S.) through the airport and on a plane to central Indiana. While the actual vine is very healthy, still no signs of flowers- believe me, I check it at all hours! I have used modest amounts of Miracle-gro (water-soluble fertilizer), and keep it watered. It is in full sun. I planted it in mid/late spring and as of this note, it's early August. I want to enjoy this and have been waiting ALL summer!!

On Jul 25, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I have grown this plant from seed for the past five years both in pots and in the ground, and in the Atlanta area (zone 7b) and Northcentral Florida (zone 8b.) It is easy to save seed, and the large purplish pods that hang throughout the late summer are an attractive addition to the display. I collect the pods just as they turn a chocolate brown color and start to open up. The vines are not frost hardy, so if there are any pods still maturing at frost time, I cut off the pods and bring them inside to dry out and turn brown, and then collect the seeds.

The seeds are large, hard and creamy colored, and turn darker as they get older. I store them in regular paper envelopes (marked with the plant's name) in a cardboard shoebox so they can "breathe," and keep the shoebox in... read more

On Jun 19, 2003, timnc wrote:

I just purchased some seed for the Moonflower and planted. They germinated and have sprouted up in 5 days. I am looking forward to some great showy flowers. I live in eastern North Carolina (U.S.) and we have had plenty of warm humid weather.

On May 30, 2003, Brinda from Yukon, OK (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have just planted a few Moonflower seeds in the garden next to a trellis. I understand that they could be difficult to grow. I have only seen pictures and think they are beautiful and look forward to enjoying them in my garden.

On Apr 9, 2003, MoonBeam2 wrote:

I bought 2 young plants last year from a local shop. They didn't grow too much for the first month but after that they went wild. Between the two I had up to 15 blooms at a time. The biggest blooms I have ever seen. This was my first experience with MoonFlowers and I live in Michigan. Just last week I started the seeds from last years plants. If all goes well I will have moonflower mania this summer.

On Feb 10, 2003, rcburks2 wrote:

This is a beautiful vine, and the aroma at night is pleasant. This is from my grandmother's house originally. I have cut off branches and set in water or soft soil and given as starters to friends-several times. I do not have to really water this and have never done anything to fertilize these. I do have to prune this back every spring and sometimes at the end of summer too. The vine is so lovely and the aroma at night is so sweet. For my grandmother though, her hay fever was bothered with this when it was by her bedroom window. The plant had to be planted on the back fence and this was fine.

On Aug 30, 2002, rockinrobin wrote:

The grower that sold the plant to my friend, told her that the leaves are slightly toxic to dogs.

On Aug 10, 2001, Sis wrote:

Tender perennial vine is usually grown as a tender annual.

Fragrant flowers open in the evening and may stay open through the next morning.