Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Rex Begonia Vine, Painted Cissus

Cissus discolor

Family: Vitaceae (vee-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cissus (KISS-us) (Info)
Species: discolor (DIS-kol-or) (Info)
Synonym:Vitis discolor

Silver/Gray

Pale Yellow

Green

Variegated

Veined

By stooling or mound layering

Cape Coral, Florida

Deland, Florida

Leesburg, Florida

Winter Haven, Florida

Winter Springs, Florida

Lexington, Virginia

On Oct 1, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A very beautiful foliage plant when well grown. Unfortunately, under houseplant conditions, it tends to drop its leaves. May go dormant in the winter. Needs even moisture, warm temperatures (over 50F), and humidity.

On Oct 1, 2015, sunkissed from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I found this hanging plant this year at a local nursery and loved how beautifully colored it was. It must love our tropical weather because it has more the tripled its size in the few months I've had it. I just keep wrapping the vines back up around. I read somewhere they don't like below 50, so certainly if we get into the 40's it should be protected. I haven't tried to propagate it. Mine grows in a mostly shade area and gets watered by rain, if it gets droopy, I give it some water and it perks right back up.

On Nov 1, 2010, CHERRY60 from Cape Coral, FL wrote:

The garden article mentions cuttings as the prop method. Well I just went outside to take cuttings and the vine is loaded with bulbils which are also a propagation method. Right now they are the size of poppy seeds so I don't know when they are ready to pluck . One Master gardener told me " Bulbils? Why bulbils? Cuttings are so easy". Well right now I am waiting for a response from NYBG help desk.
Very vigorous here. ( zone ten). In a pot outside, but it;s growing all around the screen. Maybe the roots are in the ground. Very unhappy in the winter. Lower part of vine defoliates. ( In the wind @ 32 degrees.)