Columbine, European Columbine, European Crowsfoot, Granny's Bonnets 'Winky Rose'

Aquilegia vulgaris

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Aquilegia (a-kwi-LEE-jee-a) (Info)
Species: vulgaris (vul-GAIR-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Winky Rose
Additional cultivar information:(Winky series)

Partial to Full Shade

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Seward, Alaska

Bozrah, Connecticut

Iowa City, Iowa

Pennellville, New York

Davidson, North Carolina

Emmaus, Pennsylvania

Hereford, Texas

On May 12, 2010, QuietCorner from Bozrah, CT wrote:

I grew this plant from seeds years ago and it is still thriving in my garden today. I think it has seeded moderately, though I can't remember just how many I had to start with. The flowers form dense clumps of upward facing flowers, so dense at times that you can't distinguish individual flowers. If the leaves get ratty during the summer I cut them down to the ground and they regrow tidy clumps right away and stay looking great for the rest of the season. They bloom at the same time as my lavender creeping phlox and look great together.

On Jan 15, 2009, irish1972 from Emmaus, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I bought 3 of these cuties locally and enjoyed them all season. They are a compact and covered with cheerful, colorful flowers. My only criticism is that they appear to be very short lived. The next season all 3 came up, but only 1 bloomed. The season after that, only 1 came up and never bloomed. This season I'm expecting them all to be gone! :( Oh well--it was fun while it lasted! Maybe they need to be babied?

On Aug 16, 2006, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

I love dwarf columbine, and this one is a sweetheart. The blooms are large, rose pink, and tilt upward. It wintered over quite well in my USDA Zone 3.

On Mar 23, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is such a cute little columbine. Being dwarf, it doesn't flop or get broken easily, and it is chock full of blooms! Everyone has room for this one.

My information says this is hardy in zones 3-9. Light and stratification aid germination of seeds.

Blooms mid May to mid June in my garden.