Snap Pea
Pisum sativum 'Cascadia'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pisum (PEES-um) (Info)
Species: sativum (sa-TEE-vum) (Info)
Cultivar: Cascadia

Huntersville, North Carolina

Lynchburg, Virginia

Madison, Wisconsin

On May 23, 2013, Krtka from Lynchburg, VA wrote:

An open-pollinated snap pea that is a reliable performer. You will have better results if you do stake these as the vines can reach over 30 inches. Reportedly enation-resistant. Good yields over a couple of weeks if the spring temperatures do not rocket into the 90s.
Also makes a good fall crop here: I seed these in early August, water well and cover with a board until germination occurs. Consider planting them in some shade, such as on the north side of tomatoes or sunflowers. Mulch heavily to conserve moisture and keep the soil cool. You will be picking peas in October.

On Feb 18, 2013, Sherilou from Panhandle Gulf Coast, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Cascadia Sugar Snap Pea has amazingly sweet, juicy, tender, thick pods. It's the most delicious Sugar Snap Pea that I've ever eaten. I pick the pods when they are full and fleshy, for stir fry or steaming whole. The plants were disease- free and pest-free. I purchased my seeds from Ferry-Morse.

On Nov 24, 2008, CurtisJones from Longmont, CO wrote:

From your friends at Botanical Interests: Cascadia is the best snap pea since Sugar Ann! Though they are not heirlooms like many of the shelling peas (they came on the scene in the 1970s), every pea lover should reserve garden space for these 3 deep green, thick, juicy pods. Snap peas are very flavorful, and the entire sweet pod is consumed. Serve them raw with dip, steam them, or stir-fry them. Of course, you may eat many of these crunchy snacks right in the garden! The short, 30 vines are self-supporting. Cascadia snap peas resist mildew and pea enation virus.

On May 3, 2008, dda1974 from Bonaire, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Yummy! I planted these in a container with a trellis in zone 8, Georgia on 2/20/08. By the end of April they were in full swing. I didn't plant enough though because very few make it into the house. I planned to steam them but most of them end up being eaten fresh right off the vine. They really are sweet. I am sad today on May 2 because we have highs in 70s to 80s and lows in 50s so I am sure the end is near... They are delicious though. No diseases, no bug pests. I did notice that a nice green spider had a web set up in there though! I'll call him/her my garden angel.

On Jul 11, 2007, rebecca101 from Madison, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I liked this one. Advertised as 48 days from seed. It was not quite this early for me, but still about a week earlier than Super Sugar Snap in my garden this year. Rather short vines (under 3 feet - still definitely need staking though). Very productive - absolutely smothered in peas. Flavor was sweet and tasty. I especially liked that they worked as decent shelling peas as well as snaps. The one negative was that it does not appear to be heat tolerant at all - it pooped out quickly when temps hit 80s for a few days. It's available from lots of sources.

On Jan 5, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

From Denali Seeds "Quality and yield like Sugar Snap but earlier, produces 3 1/4 inch, thick walled, fleshy pods that can be used as an edible pod or shelled pea, on 18 to 24 inch vines that do not need staking. Early "